Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contents insurance home - and away from home

Contents insurance home - and away from home

Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contents insurance home - and away from home

Looking for anyone that can help with this one -we've got RACQ contents insurance, but have just had the renewal notice, and I might go elsewhere. Apart from the fact that they want a mountain of paperwork to prove we are married before they will change the policy from one name into two I am trying to find a contents policy that does something like away from home cover, outside Australia.
I used to have Abbey insurance, and that covered stuff when you were on holiday, for three weeks or so, that was normally in the home. Does anyone know of a supplier here in Queensland that will do that, without an extortionate excess amount, bearing in mind that we are tenants not owners?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:33 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contents insurance home - and away from home

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Looking for anyone that can help with this one -we've got RACQ contents insurance, but have just had the renewal notice, and I might go elsewhere. Apart from the fact that they want a mountain of paperwork to prove we are married before they will change the policy from one name into two I am trying to find a contents policy that does something like away from home cover, outside Australia.
I used to have Abbey insurance, and that covered stuff when you were on holiday, for three weeks or so, that was normally in the home. Does anyone know of a supplier here in Queensland that will do that, without an extortionate excess amount, bearing in mind that we are tenants not owners?

Thanks!
As far as I can remember (check the PDS on the Suncorp site below) ...

Suncorp's Standard cover requires that the home is unoccupied for a maxium 60 days, the Platinum cover has a maximum of 100 days. There may also be extra conditions and excesses attached to this.

Anything over this period will require additional premiums, theft-prevention measures (installing back-to-base alarms, even), etc.

The PDSs are here if you want to check them out:
http://www.suncorp.com.au/suncorp/le...insurance.html

(edit) Page 13 for the unoccupied period stuff
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Commonwealth Bank do it, you can get an online quote.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I am sure that RACQ will insure you when you are away on hols, what they dont like is insuring people who are away for 6 months at a time and leave the house unoccupied. We have been away for 2 months and have still been covered with them.

Our insurance is in the one name as well, doesnt really matter. We just requested that we could both speak to them re the insurance policy.

I've done a lot of shopping around and found them the cheapest, mind you we do have cars and house insured with them and get a discount.

If you are in a union in Australia, then you can apply to the Union Shopper and they will seek out the best quote for you with their insurance section.
They couldnt beat RACQ in our case. Google " Union Shopper" for more info
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Commonwealth Bank do it, you can get an online quote.
Thanks guys, I'll try them.
The unoccupied bit, I'm mostly looking at the clause that I had in the Abbey policy that meant the items you took on holiday with you. Saves money on holiday insurance, so it covers items that are normally at home, but you've taken them with you.
RACQ said they won't cover anything once it leaves the shores of Australia, and the Police Credit Union, that do a lot of stuff for Emergency Services (where I work) told me they won;'t cover us at all unless the landlord fits a full alarm system...hmmmm!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:07 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I'll try them.
The unoccupied bit, I'm mostly looking at the clause that I had in the Abbey policy that meant the items you took on holiday with you. Saves money on holiday insurance, so it covers items that are normally at home, but you've taken them with you.
RACQ said they won't cover anything once it leaves the shores of Australia, and the Police Credit Union, that do a lot of stuff for Emergency Services (where I work) told me they won;'t cover us at all unless the landlord fits a full alarm system...hmmmm!!
Same for Suncorp, no cover outside of Oz ... on the standard policy anyway.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I think that you will need travel cover, the cheapest I found was 1cover

www.1cover.com.au

I referred a couple of mates last year and got a music voucher for my referral, which I gave to them, if anyone decides to go with them, pm me with your address and I will send it on to you if I still get one that is, they were far and wide the cheapest.

Some gold /platinum credit cards offer free international travel insurance, if you pay for your flight with their credit card, worth looking into if you do a few overseas trips.