Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contemplating moving to Australia...

Contemplating moving to Australia...

Old May 8th 2014, 10:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Australia...

I actually thing we all moved in the hope of a better life - would be foolish to move for a worse one - how we each classify better is individual, more space, more sunlight, better access to the things that make us happy, etc.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I actually thing we all moved in the hope of a better life - would be foolish to move for a worse one - how we each classify better is individual, more space, more sunlight, better access to the things that make us happy, etc.
Agreed but without people explaining what they think will be better, it's impossible to offer advice that's factual. Someone thinks that their life here will give them more time as a family and less at work because they've watched Neighbours or because friends have told them that's how it is, need to hear from others that for most people life is no different.

Someone thinks that their children will stop living indoors on the Playstation because the weather is cold/wet/whatever and suddenly become surfer/sportsmad because the weather is warm/sunny/whatever need to have others explain that from years of experience on forums the reality is the children will be stuck indoors on the playstation because that's the type of kid they are.

No one wants to only hear the negatives but they also should never only hear the positives and we all explain things differently, some are more gentle than others, some prefer stronger language. Go on an public forum and you really have to accept you're going to hear stuff you may not want to hear, told to you in terms you don't like.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Well obviously nobody moved with the aim of worsening their life.

But to assume that Australia automatically provides a better life for everyone is very naïve, that is my point.

And no, I did not move in the hope of a "better life", never once did that occur to me. Personally I moved for a bit of an adventure and because Mr BS and I both had a deep passion for travel. I had hoped to encourage the OP to think about their reasons in more depth.
Old May 8th 2014, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well obviously nobody moved with the aim of worsening their life.

But to assume that Australia automatically provides a better life for everyone is very naïve, that is my point.

And no, I did not move in the hope of a "better life", never once did that occur to me. Personally I moved for a bit of an adventure and because Mr BS and I both had a deep passion for travel. I had hoped to encourage the OP to think about their reasons in more depth.
Yes, an adventure, a challenge (several huge ones), to learn a lot of new things, new experiences. We had a good life in the UK and it's good here.
We're now immigrants - that can't be ignored.
Old May 8th 2014, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have accrued a few posts over 10 years.

I've actually reduced my BE activity a bit in recent years...then I have a relapse and post...then subside...

I won't get the time back - that is for sure. I am not 100pc sure why I even started posting - but initially I think I was amazed at the antics of Expats and sort of felt a bit of redress was needed...that's my excuse.
Doesn't sound like the badge I met years ago, who said he wanted to meet other would-be expats, and arrived in the pub brandishing his sparkly new visa for us all to worship....
Old May 8th 2014, 3:55 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Doesn't sound like the badge I met years ago, who said he wanted to meet other would-be expats, and arrived in the pub brandishing his sparkly new visa for us all to worship....
I think if we all look back to our earliest posts, most of us will find people who are far removed from what we are today. And in most cases the reasons that drew us to BE are different to those that keep us here.
Old May 8th 2014, 4:23 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate that we are all very different now, - back then I almost liked myself, whereas now I would cross the road to avoid saying hello - but Badge stated 'initially I think I was amazed at the antics of Expats and sort of felt a bit of redress was needed'. My point was that I met Badge in his very early posting days, and I certaiinly didn;t getthe impression that he joined BE out of amazement at the' antics of Expats.' From memory heturned up at the early Brighton meets because he wanted to meet some other potential Expats, not because he wanted to treat us like animals in a zoo.......
Old May 9th 2014, 2:19 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
But you actually only wanted success stories.
Of course he does, he wants to come here, come hell or high water and the more success stories he gets the better he will feel making his ill advised move to the arse end of humanity. It's just like religion, the more people that believe in the same made up tooth fairy as me the more the tooth fairy must be real and I made the right decision to believe in it.

So to the OP.. Come on down, it's lovely and warm here with not a thing wrong with the place, you will love it!
Old May 9th 2014, 2:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Of course he does, he wants to come here, come hell or high water and the more success stories he gets the better he will feel making his ill advised move to the arse end of humanity. It's just like religion, the more people that believe in the same made up tooth fairy as me the more the tooth fairy must be real and I made the right decision to believe in it.

So to the OP.. Come on down, it's lovely and warm here with not a thing wrong with the place, you will love it!
Oh dear. Another dissatisfied customer.
Old May 9th 2014, 3:51 pm
Home and Happy

How you keeping mate? Is your boy doing ok?
Old May 9th 2014, 11:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Akron! Long time no see. How's life been treating you?
Old May 9th 2014, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Arkon. There's a Chester Himes novel where the hapless people get lured into a 'Back to Africa' scam - can't remember the title now, but anyway, it often springs to mind when reading BE.
Old May 10th 2014, 1:25 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Akron! Long time no see. How's life been treating you?
Hi Everyone, I just stopped by to have a quick look and the first post I see was someone asking only for success stories. Surely the clue was in the question? Anyway nuff said, hi everyone, everything is rosy here, loving it. Boy is great busy as school learning sweet FA.
Old May 10th 2014, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, I just stopped by to have a quick look and the first post I see was someone asking only for success stories. Surely the clue was in the question? Anyway nuff said, hi everyone, everything is rosy here, loving it. Boy is great busy as school learning sweet FA.
Now that is selective reading.

They asked for advice then they asked for success stories.
Old May 10th 2014, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Now that is selective reading.

They asked for advice then they asked for success stories.
They weren't very keen on your advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.