Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Container Size Clarification And Sharing Option

Container Size Clarification And Sharing Option

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Container Size Clarification And Sharing Option

I've read several threads on here which talk about 20 foot or 40 foot containers and am a little unclear what that means. Is a 20 foot container 20 square feet in size or 20 feet deep,wide and high or what ? Could someone please tell me the actual dimensions of a 20 foot container.
My second point is about "sharing" containers. We are taking NO furniture whatsoever, just books, CD's, DVD's, valuable collections ((Wisden's, stamps, Sports pictures), electrical stuff like PC and DVD players and television. If we don't need a 20 foot container (however big that is, see previous point) do we end up sharing and what are the pros and cons of that ?

Any information gratefully accepted.

Many thanks

Chris

Melburne March 2006 hopefully.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:49 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: Container Size Clarification And Sharing Option

We used a 20ft container and it holds 1150 cubic ft of stuff. This actually took a three bedroom house of nearly all it's contents apart from some of the bigger furniture which we sold. Hope this helps.

Lorraine
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:31 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eintracht
I've read several threads on here which talk about 20 foot or 40 foot containers and am a little unclear what that means. Is a 20 foot container 20 square feet in size or 20 feet deep,wide and high or what ? Could someone please tell me the actual dimensions of a 20 foot container.
My second point is about "sharing" containers. We are taking NO furniture whatsoever, just books, CD's, DVD's, valuable collections ((Wisden's, stamps, Sports pictures), electrical stuff like PC and DVD players and television. If we don't need a 20 foot container (however big that is, see previous point) do we end up sharing and what are the pros and cons of that ?

Many thanks

Chris

The shipping companies will come to your house and assess what you are taking and how much cubic feet your stuff will need in the crate and then you're charged for how much space you use. We aren't taking our bulky furniture items so our stuff is taking up just under half a crate. Get a couple of quotes because some there was a few hundred plus difference between our quotes. Not sure about the container sizes though sorry. Someone else is sure to know...Good luck
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Why not 'do it youself'. We did. The shipping agents charge a ridiculous amount. We shared a container with another member on this site.......loaded it ourselves and off it went. It probably cost an eighth as to what the agents charge..........and as the container was already sealed there was no hanging about at Southampton Docks.......In fact the container left the UK before we did.

All the very best
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eintracht

Many thanks

Chris

We shipped exactly the same sort of stuff as you last year. We used Sevenseas. Cost 40 pounds per tea chest instead of 000s for a container. Picked up and delivered to our house in Melbourne.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 12:39 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

A shared container means the shipping company puts your stuff (or someone elses) in first and then builds a plyboard seperating wall in the container then your stuff goes in in that section and the container is sealed.

they're 20 feet long I think and about 8 feet high 8 feet wide (bloody huge).

I self shipped a 20ft container , self packed, (others have too) and it cost about 1700 quid for shipping from UK to brisbane , and about 1700$AU in Aus for unloading/customs clearance/freight forwarding/delivery to house.

If you've only got a small amount hten sharing will be cheaper for you - phone around. Look for freight forwarders in the phone book or yell.co.uk and ring them up for advice - to them a collection of boxes is just a collection of boxes.