Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contacts, prescription glasses and womens' things!

Contacts, prescription glasses and womens' things!

Old Aug 26th 2004, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Contacts, prescription glasses and womens' things!

Hello this is a query for folk already in the fair land of Oz. Are contact lenses, prescription glasses cheaper in the UK? Naturally I'll update over here prior to leaving if they are. The other question is regarding the pill. I've been on the same brand all my life, (well not "all" my life obviously!), and I'm concerned I'll have to change and end up with something that gives me side effects, like massive mood swings etc. Actually I think my other half is more concerned about this aspect. It's called Cileste, so if there's any fellow users out there let me know. cheers Logan
Old Aug 26th 2004, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contacts, prescription glasses and womens' things!

This a question I have been wondering about also. Do they do Depo-vera injection. I don't have it for contreception, I have it for PMT. Injection stops periods so no PMT. My husband is climbing the walls wondering if he's going to have to have that evil possessed woman once a month back. :scared:
Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:05 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by logan
Hello this is a query for folk already in the fair land of Oz. Are contact lenses, prescription glasses cheaper in the UK? Naturally I'll update over here prior to leaving if they are. The other question is regarding the pill. I've been on the same brand all my life, (well not "all" my life obviously!), and I'm concerned I'll have to change and end up with something that gives me side effects, like massive mood swings etc. Actually I think my other half is more concerned about this aspect. It's called Cileste, so if there's any fellow users out there let me know. cheers Logan
I'm on Cileste too but unlike yourself have been on several different brands - unfortunately the last one gave me terrible, terrible headaches, so like you I'm concerned.

I have heard that you have to pay for it though...
Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all

I have a nice sharp pair of scissors! no need to remember taking, no hassle obtaining,& no side effects . easy day op. SORTED!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing to do is try seaching through the Australian Family Planning sites; even if its available it may have a different name, so you have to look for the maek-up of the pill, as well as the brand-name. Have a similar problem with mine, in that the licence was refused in Australia so I can't get it here....after taking ages to find one that suited me. Mines called Cerazette, by the way.

www.fpa.net.au

Do a search through posts on the forum too, its been discussed a couple of times over the last 2 years.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:35 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I stopped taking the pill when I got here. I begrudge having to pay for it.

As far as contacts go our optician bulk bills with medicare for the eye test so we paid nothing.

For a 6 months supply of Day and Night contacts it is $270 we have private health cover where we can claim upto $170 a year for contacts or glasses not sure what we will end up paying for the contacts as they are on order so not paid the bill yet

For a months supply of dispobable lenses they are $90 for 30 pairs.

We bought our glasses in Malaysia for 75 quid a pair. The same frames silhouette (flexible frames) are $335 in our opticians and I did not ask about the lenses (we have the photosensitive ones) but it is gonna work out expensive.

You have to go for your 6 monthly checks for contacts and our optician does not charge for this but the receptionsist said that he was not the norm in otherwords most do charge for the check up.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:38 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Little tip for Pill takers - get as large a supply as possible, As yes, you do have to pay for it. I managed to get 18 months supply from my local UK Family Planning by telling them I was going on a working holiday visa, and wouldn't be able to get it here.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Not sure about the pill here in WA, but the depo-vera injection has been offered to me.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:18 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Little tip for Pill takers - get as large a supply as possible, As yes, you do have to pay for it. I managed to get 18 months supply from my local UK Family Planning by telling them I was going on a working holiday visa, and wouldn't be able to get it here.

I did the same got 12 month supply from the doctor said I was travelling for a year.

Jo
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:47 am
Just Joined

JoGrist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cilest and Depro injection are both available in Australia. You have to pay for them. One thing about getting contraceptives in advance is that some doctors may be unwilling as technically they can only give you 6 months worth because you need to make sure that your blood pressure etc is checked. I know of law suits that are going through at the moment following the blood clot problems with some of the Contraceptive pills where backpackers/travellers were given pills for 12 months or more and ended up coming back to the UK after having a stroke overseas. Make sure you get regular health checks if you are going to do this.

Hope this helps
Jo Grist
www.gristinternational.com
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:51 am
Just Joined

batsheva is an unknown quantity at this point

cileste and depo are both available here in nz for free - would be very suprised if not available in aussie therefore - goto google and type in:

cileste contraceptive site:au
and this will give you a list of any aussie websites only which should be a good place to start
Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:08 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi im a practice nurse and give depo provera injections regularly(as did in uk)....its called...depo ralovera here though...not much different i know. we dont stock it as we did in the uk.. women get repeat script for it here which .........yes they do have to pay for....
cant remember whether cilest is available here or not..maybe i can find out for you?...i will try to remember.

concerning specs....
i was told....free eye test every 2 years covered by medicare..so thats good..
i needed a lense in specs sorting out...they anti glare coating had 'mosaiced'...prob due to hairspray!..doh
i had a new lense made and it cost me i $107 to be precise(saved receipt so i know...just in case same happened to this one too!)...mind you..that was to match existing and the lenses we knife edged, anti glare blah blah...they did a good job too matching it up, because the lenses here are not quite the same.

i would say to anyone on regular meds to do the same as other girls on here and try to get as much of it before you leave....i think that prescriptions here are much more expensive than in the uk! .....for example...tweaked my back this week and needed script for anti inflammatories and ibuleve gel type stuff. gp only gave me 30 tabs but gel was large tube(also available without script)and it was just short of $50.....in uk it would have been 2 items....how mucxh is it per item these days?..it was approx £6.50 = 13x2.5 = $32.50
Old Aug 27th 2004, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

thank you for all your advice. Can't believe they make you pay for contraception, not a good system me thinkss Anyway it got me thinking about the other side of the coin, is it true that most companies offer no maternity packages at all?
Old Aug 27th 2004, 4:20 am
Home and Happy

thank you for all your advice. Can't believe they make you pay for contraception, not a good system me thinkss Anyway it got me thinking about the other side of the coin, is it true that most companies offer no maternity packages at all?
Not something I've looked into in detail, but I think its true. I have a feeling someone told me that paid maternity leave is rare.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 4:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst you have to pay for your own contraception at least they will give you $3000 if you do end up having a kid.

No expert on maternity but there is no statutory maternity pay/leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.