Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

contacts in OZ/NZ

Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:23 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: contacts in OZ/NZ

Originally posted by bawi
Interesting thread!
I often wondered what the different reasons are for people to go to the other side of the world. I also think that the contents of the posts and what they say differs a lot, if they have been there for minimum a year and even have contacts or if they go there without ever have seen the place. I am not judging anyone, but feel many of the totally new people might be disappointed, maybe also positively surprised?
Well, I do what Pollyana does, going to live with my boyfriend, as I have better chances there than he has here (Switzerland). Also because I like the country and have met his family, have a job to go to...etc. We just want to be a normal couple, no more long distance thing!
It will certainly be interesting to read peoples posts after they have been there for a while and to compare their expectations to what they have found there.

That was just some of my thoughts, not sure if they are clear enough as sometimes I struggle with the English language.

Have a good day to all...
Barbara
Hello Barbara,

Your english is very good as was your post. It sounds like you have everything prepared for your migration, what area of australia are you heading for and when do you arrive?
Old Oct 17th 2003, 12:40 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bawi
Interesting thread!
I often wondered what the different reasons are for people to go to the other side of the world. I also think that the contents of the posts and what they say differs a lot, if they have been there for minimum a year and even have contacts or if they go there without ever have seen the place. I am not judging anyone, but feel many of the totally new people might be disappointed, maybe also positively surprised?
Well, I do what Pollyana does, going to live with my boyfriend, as I have better chances there than he has here (Switzerland). Also because I like the country and have met his family, have a job to go to...etc. We just want to be a normal couple, no more long distance thing!
It will certainly be interesting to read peoples posts after they have been there for a while and to compare their expectations to what they have found there.

That was just some of my thoughts, not sure if they are clear enough as sometimes I struggle with the English language.

Have a good day to all...
Barbara
Well, in my case it was an easy decision. Mrs DagBoy and the little DagBoys lived here and she did not really want to move away and take the grandsons away from her mum, who was getting on a bit (sadly now passed away). I managed to get a transfer/work visa with the same company which made it all easier. Everything helped by the fact that Bris is a great place to live, but I would have moved anywhere to be with her - except maybe Wales
Thankfully my family were very good about me moving to the other side of the world. Actually - maybe they were too good? They came to see me off at LHR and I am sure they were muttering about making sure I got the plane. Since I have been over here my parents, brother and sister have all sold their houses and moved. I am sure it is just an oversight that they have not sent me their new addresses............
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:36 pm
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

what area of australia are you heading for and when do you arrive? [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Jirrupin
what area of australia are you heading for and when do you arrive?

Hi Donna and Chris

I am heading to Gympie /QLD (yes, that's true and please don't laugh as now we all now that it is run by nuts, former post).
i loved perth. I have lived there with my boyfriend for about 6 months, in Scarborough. But now we go back to where he is originally from to work in his parents business.

Say hi to Perth and look at a sunset for me, please. They are special there!

(Thanks for the compliment, it helps, especially when my bf laughs at me for saying and pronouncing things funnily.)

Barbara
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we are one of the 59% - no previous connections .. other people say we are very brave and how they wish it was them ... I am not a deep thinker and its pobably best I don't know what I am in for ... just go with the flow and trust in the lord .... some people may think we are stupid - leaving secure jobs, nice home and dragging 2 kids (17, 13) half way round the world for a bit of sunshine, space and ????? ..

Hope is life will be richer - not in £'s and pence sense.. but in quality, less stress (traffic, noise), more activities outdoors, spending more time together, more living space.. Don't know how much we will miss friends and family and how we will cope...how we will survive (financially), where we will live ... trying to convince myself its an adventure.. and our lives will be richer for the experience ... everyone says you can always come back if it doesn't work out !!... although at the moment thinking is this would be a last resort .. don't know what we're going to but we do know what we're leaving is not how we want to live out our lives ...

What do you think .. do I sound totally naive and off my head

cheers
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:40 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FiFi
Well we are one of the 59% - no previous connections .. other people say we are very brave and how they wish it was them ... I am not a deep thinker and its pobably best I don't know what I am in for ... just go with the flow and trust in the lord .... some people may think we are stupid - leaving secure jobs, nice home and dragging 2 kids (17, 13) half way round the world for a bit of sunshine, space and ????? ..

Hope is life will be richer - not in £'s and pence sense.. but in quality, less stress (traffic, noise), more activities outdoors, spending more time together, more living space.. Don't know how much we will miss friends and family and how we will cope...how we will survive (financially), where we will live ... trying to convince myself its an adventure.. and our lives will be richer for the experience ... everyone says you can always come back if it doesn't work out !!... although at the moment thinking is this would be a last resort .. don't know what we're going to but we do know what we're leaving is not how we want to live out our lives ...

cheers
We all need to be a bit naive and dream - see the 'dreamers or trolls' thread from the other day. Healthy to have a dream and it will certainly be an adventure!

Good luck with it - if you never ever go, you'll never ever know (that was the motto to a campaign by the Northern Territory tourist authority - it's always stuck with me)
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:44 pm
WBB

cheers

good post, i think you have summed up there what a lot of people want from the move.

certainly we want a better lifestyle for the kids and to get them away from the overcrowded concrete jungle that the U.K is fast becoming.

Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers

At this moment in time I don't feel brave, just very apprehensive about what the future holds. On the other hand I'm sure when all the horrendous, emotional goodbyes are over then I will feel differently. Since Marc (hubby) lost his job in January last year he has had to work away from home for weeks at a time and the children (14 & 11) & I miss him like mad. I always seem to have a crisis whenever he is away (ill child, burst pipes, broken down car....that sort of thing). Friends are very good as are family but it's just not the same somehow. We hope in a few years time we will thank the Lord that circumstances pushed us to re-evaluate our lives. We've had to make what I consider difficult and possibly brave decisions but we are doing it to improve our situation and hopefully give the children more opportunities than they may otherwise have in the UK.

Good luck to all the other brave souls about to take the plunge!!!

Claire
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We don't have any family or friends in Oz, so we will be going it alone. We are quite an adventurous family so I think we will settle in fairly easily. The trickiest bit is worrying about schools etc for the children. My kids education is important to me and we really will be choosing schools blind.

I know they will love the experience of living out there even if it doesn't work out for us permanently.

We are good friends with each other so we are lucky in that respect. It will be a priority for us though to make some mates and friends for the kids as well.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 3:12 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

My hubby has an auntie and cousins here but for all there help they may as well live in the South Pole. Auntie is scatty and has lots all marbles and cousins don't know how to speak and haven't yet learnt the art of conversation (they are 18 -19 - 21 and 24)!!!

Even when you make friends with people here its not the same as having your friends back home. It takes time to build up friendships and most of my friends back in the UK I have known for many years. I think this is where a lot of the boredom comes in, having no family, close friends etc... Although I have met some lovely people here I wouldn't say I have any close friends. This is the most difficult part of being here for me.