Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contacting DIMIA ?

Contacting DIMIA ?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:19 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Contacting DIMIA ?

After reading a few threads tonight I've got the impression that Agents (we haven't used one) can contact the DIMIA direct and make enquiries, could someone please tell me if this is true ?

When we lodged our application Skilled Oz Sponsored 138 in July 2003 and were given our case number, the e-mail stated that we were not to contact them within the expected 50 weeks processing time , as this would slow the processing ouf our application.

I'm a little confused and it doesn't take much !. If getting an Agent gives us this ability is it worth it? as we did all the skills assessment etc on our own.

Comments as ever are appreciated.

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contacting DIMIA ?

Originally posted by Warren Dix
After reading a few threads tonight I've got the impression that Agents (we haven't used one) can contact the DIMIA direct and make enquiries, could someone please tell me if this is true ?

When we lodged our application Skilled Oz Sponsored 138 in July 2003 and were given our case number, the e-mail stated that we were not to contact them within the expected 50 weeks processing time , as this would slow the processing ouf our application.

I'm a little confused and it doesn't take much !. If getting an Agent gives us this ability is it worth it? as we did all the skills assessment etc on our own.

Comments as ever are appreciated.

Jill
Anyone can contact DIMIA but they get grouchy if you phone them direct unless it is highly urgent or an emergency. DIMIA state in numerous places that it is not a good idea to call them because it delays processing. From my own experience writing letters gets the fastest and least dismissive responses.

Why do you need to contact them?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

I had assumed that this a standard response they sent out to prevent people on the edge of their seats from pestering them every third minute.....

That said - I personally had to email my case officer when he wrote to me as though I were a male frog rather than a lady frog. He was very charming and replied straight away.

Interesting to know though.....

Olive
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Olive101
I had assumed that this a standard response they sent out to prevent people on the edge of their seats from pestering them every third minute.....

That said - I personally had to email my case officer when he wrote to me as though I were a male frog rather than a lady frog. He was very charming and replied straight away.

Interesting to know though.....

Olive
Different people seem to get different responses by e-mail. Some get instant results whilst others are ignored or the case officer gets changed.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:26 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by bondipom
Anyone can contact DIMIA but they get grouchy if you phone them direct unless it is highly urgent or an emergency. DIMIA state in numerous places that it is not a good idea to call them because it delays processing. From my own experience writing letters gets the fastest and least dismissive responses.

Why do you need to contact them?
Don't need to really - would like to know how much longer..........

Not good at waiting, but just have to get used to it, us control freaks find all this very frustrating :scared:

Thanks for the help
Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:30 pm
Go Banana's !!

All

Thanks guys for all your responses - very efficient. I was supposed to be going to bed - hubby thinks I need to be weaned off this site for a few days

Better go, thanks again

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We've used an agent and I talked to them yesterday about when we should get meds/police checks done.

We applied in mid Aug 2003 and we've been told to get them done around end of March or early April as the request from DIMIA is expected around May time.

Our agent did make us feel a bit gloomy though by saying that some applications are taking a lot longer than the 50 weeks quoted for no apparent reason. She also reckons they will extend the 50 week processing time at some point this year as DIMIA are stacked out with applications.

All this waiting is driving me potty!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We did not use an agent and have emailed DIMIA a couple of times and have got very helpful and polite replies.
I think they may get a bit pissed off if people contact them just to ask where they are in the Queue though.

G