Contact lenses

Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Contact lenses

I'm not sure where this should be posted but I'm sure the mods will move it.

This is pretty dull but I was just wondering how much monthly lenses are likely to cost me in Oz? Here in the Uk I'm sent a batch of lenses, solution and cases every 4 months by Specsavers for £8 a month. This also includes my contact lense check.

I hope someone can advise.

Thanks,

Yvonne
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact lenses

I use daily disposables but don't use them every day, so not sure about the monthly cost. But the box of lenses which I ordered online cost me roughly the same as I would have paid in the UK, maybe a bit less. That's not including any aftercare, I haven't ventured to an optician yet. (And won't need to, touch wood!)
Thinking of just getting laser surgery so I won't have to bother with all this crap every day! Life should not be about glasses/sunglasses/lenses all the time!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

yorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to allyorkies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul

This is pretty dull but I was just wondering how much monthly lenses are likely to cost me in Oz? Here in the Uk I'm sent a batch of lenses, solution and cases every 4 months by Specsavers for £8 a month. This also includes my contact lense check.

Thanks,

Yvonne
Hi

My contact lense check was on Medicare so it cost me nothing!!
I too was on a contract back in the UK with Donald and Aitchison.
I've worked it out and it costs roughly the same as what I was paying
back then...about £18 per month. So not bad!

Yorkies
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:43 am
Just Joined

chrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nicechrisandluke is just really nice

Can I just hijack this slightly and ask if old fashioned gas-permeable (rigid) lenses are easily available in Australia? x
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkies
Hi

My contact lense check was on Medicare so it cost me nothing!!
I too was on a contract back in the UK with Donald and Aitchison.
I've worked it out and it costs roughly the same as what I was paying
back then...about £18 per month. So not bad!

Yorkies

Interesting... Did you have to find an optician that bulkbilled, like doctors? Or do they all offer a freebie? Any ideas what it would cost if you had to pay?

(I'm so cheap...)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esperanza
I use daily disposables but don't use them every day, so not sure about the monthly cost. But the box of lenses which I ordered online cost me roughly the same as I would have paid in the UK, maybe a bit less. That's not including any aftercare, I haven't ventured to an optician yet. (And won't need to, touch wood!)
Thinking of just getting laser surgery so I won't have to bother with all this crap every day! Life should not be about glasses/sunglasses/lenses all the time!
Go for the laser surgery! I did it last year and it was one of the best things I ever did. It wasn't painful at all and I could see brilliantly within hours
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting... Did you have to find an optician that bulkbilled, like doctors? Or do they all offer a freebie? Any ideas what it would cost if you had to pay?

(I'm so cheap...)
I think they all offer a medicare freebie when it comes to eye check ups. Myself and the children have never had to pay.

In regard to contacts, I pay about $150 for three months supply of lenses (they are monthlies) and $30 for solution. If you have private health, you can claim a fair chunk of this back.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesM
Go for the laser surgery! I did it last year and it was one of the best things I ever did. It wasn't painful at all and I could see brilliantly within hours
I went for the consultation, watched the video and almost fainted just at that! Wish I had the bottle to go through with it, but all that eye slicing put me off!!!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rabsody
I went for the consultation, watched the video and almost fainted just at that! Wish I had the bottle to go through with it, but all that eye slicing put me off!!!
There is a way they can do it now where they don't have to cut the cornea at all, it's all lasers. Also they can sort of scan your eye and work out the precise 'lasering' that you need, to make it as close to perfect as possible. (Clearly there is a proper name for this, but it is a while since I read the brochure. LASEK? LASIK?)
I think I've pretty much decided to do it, I don't mind about the lasers, I am mildly frightened of the possibility of risking my eyesight but more worried about the definite continual damage caused by contact lenses. The real deal breaker at the moment is the need for several thousand dollars!! But I am saving...
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

As esperanza says - they can do it without the slicing. I had LASIK and it took less than 5 minutes per eye and the time absolutely flew by (the staff were excellent and talked me through the whole thing). There was absolutely no pain at all at any time. For a couple of hours straight afterwards my eyes streamed like I had been peeling onions but that was it (and I could see as soon as the lasers had finished although it was a bit 'milky' for a couple of hours).

When I wake up in the morning I can see the alarm clock straight away, I can swim underwater with no fear of losing contact lenses and I never have to worry about fishing the blooming things out of my eyes when I've had one too many Life without lenses is sooooo much better
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul

Thanks,

Yvonne
My understanding is that you can get the lenses and solutions fairly cheaply off the internet

The only problem with this is that it doesn't include a regular sight/contact lens check like the schemes run by specsavers et al in the UK

Are there any brands of opticians in Australia (Brisbane) who offer this type of 'all-in-one' type of scheme, or at least just a regular check-up?

Cheers
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tictac
My understanding is that you can get the lenses and solutions fairly cheaply off the internet

The only problem with this is that it doesn't include a regular sight/contact lens check like the schemes run by specsavers et al in the UK

Are there any brands of opticians in Australia (Brisbane) who offer this type of 'all-in-one' type of scheme, or at least just a regular check-up?

Cheers
All the opticians in Brisbane should be able to offer you a six monthly (I think it is) check up gratis on Medicare. You will then need to get the optician (optometrist as they call it here) to write up your contact lense prescription as you won't be able to purchase lenses on the net without it.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is a way they can do it now where they don't have to cut the cornea at all, it's all lasers. Also they can sort of scan your eye and work out the precise 'lasering' that you need, to make it as close to perfect as possible. (Clearly there is a proper name for this, but it is a while since I read the brochure. LASEK? LASIK?)
I think I've pretty much decided to do it, I don't mind about the lasers, I am mildly frightened of the possibility of risking my eyesight but more worried about the definite continual damage caused by contact lenses. The real deal breaker at the moment is the need for several thousand dollars!! But I am saving...
As esperanza says - they can do it without the slicing. I had LASIK and it took less than 5 minutes per eye and the time absolutely flew by (the staff were excellent and talked me through the whole thing). There was absolutely no pain at all at any time. For a couple of hours straight afterwards my eyes streamed like I had been peeling onions but that was it (and I could see as soon as the lasers had finished although it was a bit 'milky' for a couple of hours).

When I wake up in the morning I can see the alarm clock straight away, I can swim underwater with no fear of losing contact lenses and I never have to worry about fishing the blooming things out of my eyes when I've had one too many Life without lenses is sooooo much better
well i didn't know this. admittedly it was a couple of years ago i went for the consult, so this is great news for a scaredy cat like me!

esperanza, you should be able to HP your new eyes, they all offer 24 months to pay it off. i found it no cheaper to pay up front, so no incentive for me to do so, may as well use the 24 months.

jules, i know what you mean about trying to get them out after one too many. i've "lost" many "up north"!!! bleurgh!!!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased that laser surgery worked for you. Just be aware that it doesnt for everyone...some people's eyesight is worse post-surgery.

best wishes
OD
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

well i didn't know this. admittedly it was a couple of years ago i went for the consult, so this is great news for a scaredy cat like me!

esperanza, you should be able to HP your new eyes, they all offer 24 months to pay it off. i found it no cheaper to pay up front, so no incentive for me to do so, may as well use the 24 months.

jules, i know what you mean about trying to get them out after one too many. i've "lost" many "up north"!!! bleurgh!!!
Is that the way they do it in Oz? I've been considering it but was put off when I realised they had to slice your eye

I would seriously consider it if I didnt have to have that done.

I've gone to bed in my lenses a few times when I've had a few too many, can't open my bloody eyes in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.