Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contact Lens question...Can you help?

Wikiposts

Contact Lens question...Can you help?

Old Dec 18th 2005, 7:14 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contact Lens question...Can you help?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if those of you in Brisbane and surrounding area could help with a wee query. Most of the time I wear contact lenses that I subscribe to through Specsavers. They supply me with 20 pairs of daily disposable for £15 which is a pretty good deal.

Are there any similar deals that are available out there? Also what are the main opticians out there or is it all individual ones?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 18th 2005, 7:24 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Contact Lens question...Can you help?

http://www.opsmdirect.com.au

Try these guys, I found them cheaper than the UK. Also you can claim some money back if you have private health ins.

Dinky
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:03 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dinky
http://www.opsmdirect.com.au

Try these guys, I found them cheaper than the UK. Also you can claim some money back if you have private health ins.

Dinky
Hi,

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I go to Optical Superstore, and I was wearing dailies but they advised changing to fortnightly as they said they are better for my eyes. Three months supply is $80 bus as I have Medibank Extras cover I only pay $30.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I used opsm to get my eyes checked and fitted, but then I used a company called http://www.optics-online.com.au to get the lenses as they were about 35% cheaper than OPSM. They are registered to claim your private healthcare allowance.

I have to say they were fantastic, they answered all my questions very promptly, and as I ordered 12 months supply of a new technology lense (a toric lense you can keep in for a month non stop, thank you god, you answered my prayers!), they only had 9 months worth but sent me them straight away as i was out of lenses and followed with the rest at no charge.

I 100% recommend them for service and cost. I believe they are Sydney based, but deliver all over (I am in Brissy).

I spoke to a guy called Greg on [email protected]. Feel free to mention my name as I was impressed with them.

Cheers

Pete

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
I spoke to a guy called Greg on [email protected]. Feel free to mention my name as I was impressed with them.

Cheers

Pete
Obviously he will know me as Peter from CCG in Brisbane, not as the Cornish Pasty from British Expats :-)
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:17 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Contact Lens question...Can you help?

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks,

I was wondering if those of you in Brisbane and surrounding area could help with a wee query. Most of the time I wear contact lenses that I subscribe to through Specsavers. They supply me with 20 pairs of daily disposable for £15 which is a pretty good deal.

Are there any similar deals that are available out there? Also what are the main opticians out there or is it all individual ones?

Cheers

Ginny
Top tip - stop in Kuala Lumpur on your way to Oz. Buy 2 years worth of contact lenses for 1/4 of UK price. This applies even to Johnson and Johnson, Bausch and Lomb.

We also get Mrs Buzzy's glasses made in Asia each time we're there - once again, 1/4 of UK price and made up within a few hours.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:56 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on monthly lenses in UK from Specsavers using lensmail. Changed to 30 day constant wear just before we came out and bought a years worth of lenses just in case couldn't find anywhere here straight away. Might seem like overdoing it, but I brought 15 months supply with me (in fact we both did) which gives plenty of time to look around for the best deals. Might be worth considering stocking yourself up a little before you come over
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a price comparison (all in $'s) , Mrs OzT's lenses are $65 for a box of 6 with visiondirect.co.uk and they are $71 with Optics online and $99 from OPSM. It's not indicative of all products of course but interesting nonetheless. One thing we do know is that solutions are very much cheaper in Australia than the UK so she's settled on buying lenses in the UK and solutions when we are in Oz.

OzTennis
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:17 pm

Not using much solution at all with the new lenses - put them in 1st of month and leave them all month if you like. Odd times I take mine out mid-month for a night - but that's the exception rather than the rule. These had just come out in Toric form when I got them so need to find an optician over here who can get them - although that shouldn't be a problem. Cost equivalent was about $55-60 per pair (1 month)
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Not using much solution at all with the new lenses - put them in 1st of month and leave them all month if you like. Odd times I take mine out mid-month for a night - but that's the exception rather than the rule. These had just come out in Toric form when I got them so need to find an optician over here who can get them - although that shouldn't be a problem. Cost equivalent was about $55-60 per pair (1 month)
I seem to recall Mrs OzT's optician and magazine articles saying it could be dangerous to leave a lens in for an extended period of time and that a good cleaning regime was essential?

OzTennis
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:00 pm

That's the whole point of these ones - designed to be left in 24/7 for a month. Much more pereable than normal monthly lenses. Saves all the taking them in and out. Probably why the buggers cost so much more as well LOL
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's the whole point of these ones - designed to be left in 24/7 for a month. Much more pereable than normal monthly lenses. Saves all the taking them in and out. Probably why the buggers cost so much more as well LOL
But even if they are more permeable doesn't that just mean more air gets into your eye, I'm wondering about germs and deposits on the lens itself which surely only cleaning could remove??

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:05 am
Ok this isn't so bad

I was on monthly lenses in UK from Specsavers using lensmail. Changed to 30 day constant wear just before we came out and bought a years worth of lenses just in case couldn't find anywhere here straight away. Might seem like overdoing it, but I brought 15 months supply with me (in fact we both did) which gives plenty of time to look around for the best deals. Might be worth considering stocking yourself up a little before you come over

That's what I was planning on doing....just till I can find my bearings.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:05 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Obviously he will know me as Peter from CCG in Brisbane, not as the Cornish Pasty from British Expats :-)

Obviously!!!

Cheers for the advice and contact.

Ginny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.