Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Consumer Rights in NSW

Consumer Rights in NSW

Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Consumer Rights in NSW

WE bought an LG washer Dryer in January and its now broken. LG are saying it will take 3 1/2 weeks to get a part from Korea on top of the week they have been ordered for (its a stardard problem, even has its own error code).

LG are refusing (when I ask the question are you refusing they actually say Yes!) to provide any sort of help/compensation for the month I will be without a washer/dryer (I don't even had a washing line as we always use they dryer). They keep suggesting taking round to family despite me telling them a number of times all my family are in the UK.

I've tried putting in a complaint with NSW fair trade but they say it will take at least 5 weeks which isn't much use.

I've asked the repair company if they have a loan machine but they don't and also aren't willing to do anything.

There isn't a launderette close by and I doubt if any of them would be open by the time I get home in the evening (generally after 7pm) and the only people I know within a half hour drive are away at present.

Anyone had similar problems here in Australia can give me any pointers on what I can do as, to put it midly, I'm disgusted with LG and their lack of customer service and we are rapidly running out of clothes since they are all now dirty or sitting outside soaking wet.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Consumer Rights in NSW

Unfortunately this kind of thing happens quite a lot here. I sympathise with your situation. Where did you buy your washer from? I would definately go back to the place of purchase. If it is a big retailer like Myer, David Jones, Bing Lee etc you might stand a chance of getting them to do something. Of course they will say it is a problem with the manufacturer and has nothing to do with them but you have to stand firm. Ask to see the Manager etc and demand either a) replacement or b) loan machine. Probably they will refuse but then you should threaten to take your problem to the local paper and tell them the story how local store XYZ has done the wrong thing by you. I once had a problem with a Dell Computer. There is no way you can ever contact anyone in Australia if you have problems with these machines. I got so frustrated I found a website called Not Good Enough www.notgoodenough.org and posted my tale of woe. Shortly afterwards someone from Dell (an Australian Manager) contacted me and helped me with my problem. Good luck.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:13 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
WE bought an LG washer Dryer in January and its now broken. LG are saying it will take 3 1/2 weeks to get a part from Korea on top of the week they have been ordered for (its a stardard problem, even has its own error code).

LG are refusing (when I ask the question are you refusing they actually say Yes!) to provide any sort of help/compensation for the month I will be without a washer/dryer (I don't even had a washing line as we always use they dryer). They keep suggesting taking round to family despite me telling them a number of times all my family are in the UK.

I've tried putting in a complaint with NSW fair trade but they say it will take at least 5 weeks which isn't much use.

I've asked the repair company if they have a loan machine but they don't and also aren't willing to do anything.

There isn't a launderette close by and I doubt if any of them would be open by the time I get home in the evening (generally after 7pm) and the only people I know within a half hour drive are away at present.

Anyone had similar problems here in Australia can give me any pointers on what I can do as, to put it midly, I'm disgusted with LG and their lack of customer service and we are rapidly running out of clothes since they are all now dirty or sitting outside soaking wet.
How far is close by? You will find most laundrettes are 24/7. Did you read fine print on the warranty?
BTW I was going to buy a LG washer years ago when they first come out, so I rang a mate I used to work with at a Retrovision electrical store and asked him if he had heard of them. He told me that they changed their name to LG from Gold star and are now known as "Lucky Goldstar". In other words he said don't buy it as the quality hadn't changed. Obviously it hasn't. Bought a Fischer & Paykel instead, only let me down once and that was a very minor glich that was fixed in 10 miniutes.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Three and a half weeks is good, to good, I'd add on at least another three for the delays due to customs then another couple because the courier company misplaced it. Then repeat the whole process again because someone ordered the wrong part first time around.
A simple carburettor jet for my outboard took 14 weeks to arrive. I've been waiting since December for a replacement pump for the house, nearly nine months FFS.
You can't win as if you complain your a whinging pom and if you wait patiently they sit on it until you get fed up and lose the plot, then your the unreasonable one for creating a fuss
The last four jobs we've done work wise have been short of tiles due to the supplier not being able to count to double figures, you think everyone here wears thongs to keep their feet cool? It's really cos they need to use their toes to get to twenty.
The job this week is on hold for I don't know how long because the same muppet with the mental arithmetic problem also seems to be colour blind and sent 15m2 of ivory tiles instead of glossy white.

Argh rant over deep breaths, at least it's raining and the tanks are filling.
Yes I know these things happen in the U.K they happen here as well
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Miona
I got so frustrated I found a website called Not Good Enough www.notgoodenough.org and posted my tale of woe. Shortly afterwards someone from Dell (an Australian Manager) contacted me and helped me with my problem. Good luck.
THanks, I've added a post to this site. I've also contacted the place I bought it from (Harvey Norman so reasonably big) and they are onto the LG rep to.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

LG are refusing (when I ask the question are you refusing they actually say Yes!) to provide any sort of help/compensation for the month I will be without a washer/dryer (I don't even had a washing line as we always use they dryer).
I must confess that I have never had any compensation or the loan of a washing machine/dryer (or fridge/tv/vacuum or anything else) that has gone wrong - either in the UK or here. Does anyone do it? If so I'd like to know. I do sympathise with you though. I remember having a young baby and being without a washing machine in the UK for over 8 weeks - just waiting for a part to come from Italy. Very frustrating.

Julie
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:39 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

THanks, I've added a post to this site. I've also contacted the place I bought it from (Harvey Norman so reasonably big) and they are onto the LG rep to.
Not sure where you live, but if it is convenient you are more than welcome to come over and use our washing machine & drier while you get it all sorted...

Last edited by stevemich; Sep 1st 2006 at 2:42 am.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found that if you have a consumer complaint here they are quick to tell you where to go. But if you keep at it and ask to speak to so and so's manager and then thier manager ...... you will eventually find someone who is willing to do something about it. Pester them until they give you what you want just to get you to go away. It almost always works for me.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:18 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

LG. Don't get me going. Bought a $850 dishwasher from them (upper end of the range) and it broke down regulalry every month since new. They kept send me spare parts to fix myself as it was only the trays that kept falling off.
I had enough and told them to take it away or replace it before the 12 month warrantly was up.
They ignored me.
I went to the small claims Court for the value of the machine ($850), $50 to dispose of and $50 for delivery of a new one and $100 to get a plumber to install (I live in QLD so unable to do myself!), totalling $1,050. Oh, plus the small claims fee which was around $50 I think.
WIthin 2 weeks of the Court date, they arrived with a brand new dishwasher of a better spec. Plumbed it in and took the old one away.
All settled nicely in the end.

Sure not much use but don't be afraid to use the small claims court, it gets them listening! Maybe for your laundry bills!

Andrew
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:26 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

you think everyone here wears thongs to keep their feet cool? It's really cos they need to use their toes to get to twenty.

Cresta - that - is THE funniest thing Ive seen on this forum...
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions, it appears the place we bought it from have come up trumps and LG are delivering a brand new machine next week
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
LG. Don't get me going. Bought a $850 dishwasher from them (upper end of the range) and it broke down regulalry every month since new. They kept send me spare parts to fix myself as it was only the trays that kept falling off.
I had enough and told them to take it away or replace it before the 12 month warrantly was up.
They ignored me.
I went to the small claims Court for the value of the machine ($850), $50 to dispose of and $50 for delivery of a new one and $100 to get a plumber to install (I live in QLD so unable to do myself!), totalling $1,050. Oh, plus the small claims fee which was around $50 I think.
WIthin 2 weeks of the Court date, they arrived with a brand new dishwasher of a better spec. Plumbed it in and took the old one away.
All settled nicely in the end.

Sure not much use but don't be afraid to use the small claims court, it gets them listening! Maybe for your laundry bills!

Andrew
Is there some sort of law stipulating you cant plumb your own washer in in Queensland ?After all its only two pipes with usually self tapping connectors to sort out thesedays !!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 4:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Is there some sort of law stipulating you cant plumb your own washer in in Queensland ?After all its only two pipes with usually self tapping connectors to sort out thesedays !!
In Qld, theres a fairly good chance that if you plumb it in yourself you're beaking the law AND it gives the company a good get-out, they say that it was you fixing it up which broke it, thus the warranty/insurance is invalid.

We had a row with the ex-lamdlord when his fuse blew up as he tried to pin it on my - I quote - "dodgy UK stuff" .Fortunately he couldn't prive that anything English was plugged in at the time, and the electrical contractor told him he was talking rubbish!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Doubt very much you'd be sent to prison for that.
You wouldn't be able to install washing machine taps or a new waste pipe but stuff like changing a shower head, rewashering taps, wc cistern washers or connecting an lawn watering system to an outside tap all falls under the classification of unregulated work.
If you've got concerns clarify the situation with the local council plumbing inspector (they're more than happy to deal with simple questions like that)
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
Doubt very much you'd be sent to prison for that.

You wouldn't be able to install washing machine taps or a new waste pipe but stuff like changing a shower head, rewashering taps, wc cistern washers or connecting an lawn watering system to an outside tap all falls under the classification of unregulated work.

In Victoria you can be fined for a lot of those things - only a licensed plumber is legally allowed to do rewasher a tap, for example - domestic tap in your own home!! :scared: (Unless the law has changed in the last 5 yrs?)

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Sep 3rd 2006 at 2:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.