Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Consumer Rights???

Consumer Rights???

Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consumer Rights???

Hi guys
I was just wondering what our consumer rights are over here as I have bought a couple of things which aren't up to scratch, including a gazebo which attacked me in the garden lol... I may just chuck it out as we've been really busy but I'd still like to know about this anyhow. So far I've heard rumours of peeps having hassle returning faulty goods, but would like just a bit more info please!
ATB
Larissa
Old Mar 24th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consumer Rights???

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
I was just wondering what our consumer rights are over here as I have bought a couple of things which aren't up to scratch, including a gazebo which attacked me in the garden lol... I may just chuck it out as we've been really busy but I'd still like to know about this anyhow. So far I've heard rumours of peeps having hassle returning faulty goods, but would like just a bit more info please!
ATB
Larissa
I've never had a problem. Since most of the stuff over here is made in China and is crap, the shops expect half of what they sell back. Take it back with a big smile and expect a no hassle refund.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 7:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I've never had a problem. Since most of the stuff over here is made in China and is crap, the shops expect half of what they sell back. Take it back with a big smile and expect a no hassle refund.
It's weird how some of them refund so easily !

We returned a room fan after 23 months, it had a 2 year warranty, and they just refunded our purchase price of $99. The latest model was selling for $89 in other stores, so we ended up with a new one and $10 change

However, if you do need an Office of Fair Trading or similar, I have most of the State relevant links at: http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_legal.htm

Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:58 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's weird how some of them refund so easily !

We returned a room fan after 23 months, it had a 2 year warranty, and they just refunded our purchase price of $99. The latest model was selling for $89 in other stores, so we ended up with a new one and $10 change

However, if you do need an Office of Fair Trading or similar, I have most of the State relevant links at: http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_legal.htm
The office of fair trading have a very good booklet explaining your rights as a consumer and also your obligations as a business/service provider. They handed me a copy when I went in to pay to renew my trading name[another hidden cost to running your own business]. The booklet is called The Good Business Guide. They also have another couple you may be interested in they are Warranties & Refunds and How to Be Consumerwise. All are available from your local OFT. In Qld you can find your local one here: http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/oft/oftweb.nsf
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Have had to return items to Big W, Target and K-Mart and had no problem at all. In fact irrespective of how we paid they all gave a cash refund.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I did have a problem with target. Toby had a playstation game bought for him, and on opening it found a large scratch on the disc.
i was taking it back for him, as being a male, he cant do things like that!!!
I then had to fly back to the UK.
when I finally took the game back, in its original package, with the receipt they refused to change it, as it was 2 days over the 30 day warranty.
When I explained the situation, that I had to go back to the UK, they werent interested.
I phoned the next day and queried it again and was told the store manager was now involved and that he refused to change the faulty game.I was furious, but instead of getting myself in a temper, I took the game back to Target in Perth city.......explained the situation.....got a full refund without any questions asked!!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
ATB
Larissa
Harvey Normans can be a bit tough.

We got all the excuses.
Manager not here...
We can give you vouchers...
Or a replacement...
and so on.

Cheers,
JTL