Reload this Page >

consultants - yes or no?

consultants - yes or no?

Old Oct 6th 2002, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

vavavoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question consultants - yes or no?

hello there!

london based hubby and myself, no kids, would like to apply as skilled migrants. we have around 130 points and are about to start the whole process. the big question is whether to hire an agent or not!?! looks like it costs a fortune - is it worth it? what are your experiences? can you recomend someone?

also is a decent score on point test (130) any indicator for a successfull application (if medical and character are OK)

thank you for sharing!
Old Oct 6th 2002, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

jonallen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: consultants - yes or no?

Originally posted by vavavoom:
whether to hire an agent or not!?! looks like it costs a fortune - is it worth it?
thank you for sharing!
I would say yes. I have wasted 9 months waiting
for the Oz Comp Soc to validate my experience.
If someone else has looked over what I sent
them the first time I am sure it would have saved
me the last 6 months of aggo.
1. If forgot to tick the MODL box ( and I need the extra five points) ( well I didn't at the time in Jan 2002 as the pass
mark was 110 , but the put the barrier up to 115 in May)
2. My first reference was not detailed enough
and I spent nearly three months chasing my boss
for the very very detailed reference they want.

If someone with experience in these things
had looked at what I was going to send
I am sure they would have pointed out the errors
of my ways!

Good luck is all I can say
It is an expensive business and an extra few hundred
quid is probably worth it.
Old Oct 6th 2002, 11:27 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to provide a no obligation quote if you are interested - our contact details are on the Go Matilda website - http://www.gomatilda.com

Hopefully of interest ...

hello there!

london based hubby and myself, no kids, would like to apply as skilled migrants. we have around 130 points and are about to start the whole process. the big question is whether to hire an agent or not!?! looks like it costs a fortune - is it worth it? what are your experiences? can you recomend someone?

also is a decent score on point test (130) any indicator for a successfull application (if medical and character are OK)

thank you for sharing!
Old Oct 7th 2002, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are going to use an agent, I'd suggest somebody like Alan (above) who has provided sound advice by way of these forums. However ....

We were in a similar situation to you. Two of us both way over the points limit and no additional complications. The actual appl. form is long and detailed but application is simple if you follow the form through methodically (we are in Oz now, applied in December 2001, visa in March 2002, left UK June 2002).

From following this forum for the last year or so, I have come to the conclusion that their are two MAJOR hurdles; getting qualifications assessed and then applying. I think the latter, as I said above, is fairly straightforward if you have no additional complications. Furthermore the first was easy for us as we had easily assessable professional qualifications e.g. chartered accountant & physiotherapist and required a few lines from our employers saying we had been employed ..... Conversely if you in , for example, IT you may be brilliant and have years of experience but the assessment is less straight forward because there isn't a single relatively simple yardstick which you/your experience can be measured against (However I suspect if you're really good even this isn't a problem?!?)

If you think you and your qualifications are good or fall into the category of 'easy to assess', I'd go for it myself.

DPR

PS Make sure you courier everything with a reputable crowd e.g. DHL or the like. It's a small price to pay
Old Oct 7th 2002, 7:43 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

we have around 130 points and are about to start the whole process. the big question is whether to hire an agent or not!?! looks like it costs a fortune - is it worth it?
Firstly, if you must use an agent, as it's been advised before, please engage a reputable, responsible and registered one (3Rs perhaps!). Preferrably reasonably priced too (4th R?)

If you're going to DIY, there are a few points to note:

1) The Pre Application Skills Assessment (PASA). This is where registered and experienced agents can really add value to a relatively straightforward application. Deeming date, reference letters, job descriptions, statutory declarations etc will hit you when you start looking at gathering your documents.

2) The application form for DIMIA. It's a whole bunch of papers. Your handwriting won't be the same when you're done with it, trust me. And, remember to sign your form first, and then start filling up the rest of the form - that way, your signature will be recognizable!

3) Medical checks, Assurance of Support, Sponsorship etc issues (if any) will certainly be less complicated with the help of an agent.

4) A registered migration agent who is up-to-speed on the latest happenings at DIMIA will be able to advise you on the impact (if any) of any new regulations on your application, at whatever stage it may be.

Peter
Old Oct 7th 2002, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ptlabs:

1) The Pre Application Skills Assessment (PASA). This is where registered and experienced agents can really add value to a relatively straightforward application. Deeming date, reference letters, job descriptions, statutory declarations etc will hit you when you start looking at gathering your documents.

2) The application form for DIMIA. It's a whole bunch of papers. Your handwriting won't be the same when you're done with it, trust me. And, remember to sign your form first, and then start filling up the rest of the form - that way, your signature will be recognizable!

3) Medical checks, Assurance of Support, Sponsorship etc issues (if any) will certainly be less complicated with the help of an agent.

4) A registered migration agent who is up-to-speed on the latest happenings at DIMIA will be able to advise you on the impact (if any) of any new regulations on your application, at whatever stage it may be.

Peter

With reference to the above points and my earlier post:

i. If it is straight forward why do you need to add value? Did you read my previous post about the type and nature of your job and getting your skills assessed?

ii. Like any important official form - download 2 (or more copies) or make a photocopy. Fill in a rough DRAFT 1st. Then when you are ready you can fill in the actual application form NEATLY and ACCURATELY.

iii. If you READ the instructions and you application is SIMPLE, you have to be a moron to stuff this up.

iv. Well, again if your application is simple and you've downloaded the latest instructions from DIMA (probably about 100 page .pdf file by now) then you shouldn't need help.

Good luck

DPR
Old Oct 7th 2002, 8:06 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> Originally posted by dpr21:
> i. If it is straight forward why do you need to add value?

Sometimes people think their application is straighforward, only to be hit in the face by things like deeming dates. Search the archives and you'll know what I mean.

> iii. If you READ the instructions and you application is SIMPLE,
> you have to be a moron to stuff this up.

Agreed, but there are plenty of "morons" in this world. Just look at the number of redundant and unresearched queries posted here.

> iv. Well, again if your application is simple and you've downloaded the
> latest instructions from DIMA (probably about 100 page .pdf file by now)
> then you shouldn't need help.

In essence, the Skilled Migration Booklet 6 (for skilled applicants) is sufficient as a guide to get anyone through the process. However, many people do not read fine prints, and many more do not like the paperwork, or the fact that further research is sometimes needed. These people would be better off hiring an agent.

BTW, I saw no need for an agent myself, so I'm not fighting a cause for any agency here.

Peter
Old Oct 7th 2002, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

OK Peter, you and I could go round in circles all day on this one

Therefore in my humble opinion - obtain the Skilled Migration Booklet, read it CAREFULLY (including the fine print) - if it seems simple (but tedious) go for it yourself (using some of the suggestions I've mentioned above). If it seems/is complicated or you are really unsure get help

cheers

Dave (DPR)
Old Oct 7th 2002, 9:40 am
Ed

I would say Yes,
It takes the pain out of the posses.
We got an agent, we got the PR and lives fine. We didn't have to worry about
stuff, if we did the right think or not..... BUT we did pay them About
AUD$4500.00. (inclusive of all fees to the EMB.)

ED

Old Oct 7th 2002, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone!

Our intuition agrees with most of people suggesting we could do it ourselves if we are careful/smart enough.

I guess our major concern would be getting the assessment from ACS for my husband. Some of the companies he worked for do not exist any more, and if they do, in most cases his superiors are not there anymore. 4 years is a long time in IT! It is going to be rather difficult to contact all these people and get exactly what ACS want. Any thoughts/ideas here?

I wish my husband was a hairdresser!!!!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 7th 2002, 11:14 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

I guess our major concern would be getting the assessment from ACS for my husband. Some of the companies he worked for do not exist any more, and if they do, in most cases his superiors are not there anymore. 4 years is a long time in IT! It is going to be rather difficult to contact all these people and get exactly what ACS want. Any thoughts/ideas here?
If the companies that your husband worked for no longer exist today, you should gather all the documents that you have that could substantiate his employment there: appointment and resignation letters, payslips, confirmation letters, commendation letters, promotion letters, etc. This is to confirm that he was actually employed there. For his duties and job descriptions, he can ask one of his ex-bosses or ex-supervisor or even an ex-colleague to write out some of his duties and responsibilities. Be as objectively detailed as possible in these letters. Indicate what the work relationship is between your husband and the author of these letters clearly.

Make a statutory declaration to state that the companies have indeed gone bust, and what the work relationship between your husband and the authors of the letters.

Photocopy all these documents and get them certified. Two copies: one for ACS and one for DIMIA.

Before you do all this, make sure you read the ACS guidelines, as they have recently been updated.

HTH

Peter
Old Oct 7th 2002, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Dear Peter

We'll do that - thanks ever so much!
Old Oct 9th 2002, 11:17 am
William Mostyn

Hi,
This is not a "come on" for work.
I am a registered migration agent.
It is not mandatory to use the services of an agent but having said that,
professional agents do reduce the risk as Australian Migration Law can be
quite confusing to most people and changes quite often.
With regards to points, 130 points sounds good. I advise you to run through
the points test a few times to make sure the amount of points are correct.Of
course many factors come into the decision making.
Qualifications,age,assessment of qualifications and skills by relevant
assessing authority, health, criminal checks etc.
For people about to turn 45 yrs old, submit your application before your
45th birthday as your age at time of application is what counts.
Have you read the DIMIA fact sheets?
A word of warning. If you do decide to use an agent from here in Australia
or over there, please make sure that person is registered with the MARA in
Australia. Unfortunately there are many scam merchants around the world
posing as agents. I had one from India ask me what the weather was like in
Alaska, Australia....No such place here! and this fellow was working as a
migration agent. Fees vary from agent to agent. Some charge for "Blocks of
Work" and others an hourly rate. Make sure you are given an "Estimated
Statement Of Fees" from agent prior to hiring him/her.

Unfortunately, at present there is no set scale of fees. Recommendations are
being made at present to have this changed so that a set scale of fees comes
into force.
Best wishes.

"vavavoom" wrote in message
news:435143.1033936528@britishexpats-
.com
    > hello there!
    > london based hubby and myself, no kids, would like to apply as skilled
    > migrants. we have around 130 points and are about to start the whole
    > process. the big question is whether to hire an agent or not!?! looks
    > like it costs a fortune - is it worth it? what are your experiences? can
    > you recomend someone?
    > also is a decent score on point test (130) any indicator for a
    > successfull application (if medical and character are OK)
    > thank you for sharing!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com