Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Construction Workers

Construction Workers

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

jduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant future
Default Construction Workers

Hi all,

Wondering what the British WA construction workers are feeling right now, considering the downturn in the property market around the world and in particular Britain & Oz? Are you surprised about the fact that skilled trades are still on the jobs in demand list? Or is there still plenty to go around, unlikely I would think particularly in WA any way? Having said that with the amount of people still migrating there they have to live somewhere!

Are you keeping busy? Or starting to see the gaps between jobs lengthening?
It is quite bad here (UK) now as you probably know already from old buddies etc etc. From having plenty of jobs to choose from and new projects starting every day/week to many of these being put on hold and shelved.
And having watched it from afar it seems that Oz is heading this way too!? I know that maybe a million miles from the truth but what is your opinion?

With respect to anyone who does not work within the construction industry and prepping themselves to get there fingers tapping on the keyboard this thread is directed only to those working within the skilled trades or those who are looking for work within the skilled trades.

Your thoughts would be of interest to all within the Industry.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

jduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant futurejduncanbrown has a brilliant future
Default Re: Construction Workers

Do you think I need to simplify the questions? Or is this debate too fresh & sore?

C'mon you brickies, chippys, sparkys & plasterers!! Whats your views?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jduncanbrown
Do you think I need to simplify the questions? Or is this debate too fresh & sore?

Did you go to charm school

Anyway, not in WA however the same posts are coming out of WA, tradies not getting work, rates being cut etc, search on the brickies threads, they usually give the views of whats actually going on in OZ, and currently its not good.

I would imagine any tradies in OZ, are simply amazed tradesmen are still on the skills wanted immigration list. Because there are plenty of tradies already here struggling to get work, aussies and immigrants. The government here is way out of touch with reality as usual and even the master builders say up to 80% of construction jobs will go this year.

Gov has thrown a bit of money at schools, 200,000 grand each for renovations, one thing that will create a bit of work, but you need special accreditation on top of all the usual licences etc to tender those jobs, hardly something the new immigrant will have.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:22 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Anyway, not in WA however the same posts are coming out of WA, tradies not getting work, rates being cut etc, search on the brickies threads, they usually give the views of whats actually going on in OZ, and currently its not good.

I would imagine any tradies in OZ, are simply amazed tradesmen are still on the skills wanted immigration list. Because there are plenty of tradies already here struggling to get work, aussies and immigrants. The government here is way out of touch with reality as usual and even the master builders say up to 80% of construction jobs will go this year.

Gov has thrown a bit of money at schools, 200,000 grand each for renovations, one thing that will create a bit of work, but you need special accreditation on top of all the usual licences etc to tender those jobs, hardly something the new immigrant will have.
the new migrant tradies will only get a provisional license this means apprentice wages only and harder to get the jobs( even though they have the skills) because they are only classed as apprentice level with provisonal license, this is the bit the government wants to get their head round might not be so many tradies having to go back to uk to survive, i have no problem with starting at the bottom but at least give them a chance to get to the bloody top by being employed long enough to gain 12 months experience and the $3,000 to do the course they say is needd to get back your full license
lesley x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:04 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

My work has just indirectly put a few hundred out of work in QLD.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jduncanbrown

More likely as you were asking the question overnight people haven't been online to respond
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
More likely as you were asking the question overnight people haven't been online to respond
Sorry about that, my impatience got the better of me.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich

80% is massive, that is shocking!!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

cooter is an unknown quantity at this point

good god
i was hoping to go out to perth in march to find a job and get a "457".is it really that bad?surely they need to build more houses for a growing population?
i am a chippy by the way
jon
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Im a spark heading for sydney later his year, theres loads of jobs advertised on seek au. Probably depends where youre heading but its not all doom and gloom.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

thanx for that dude
i am gonna go over and try my best. fingers crossed
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, i'm a tradesman in Lincolnshire, uk.
Our site has gone from 20+ men to 4. all the time i have worked on this site we have never had more than 2 houses for sale, we now have 12.
We as a building firm have just (jan 09) won the NHBC supreme awards presented in London. we came 1st out of 18,000 small to medium builders in the uk. Cracking night out!
Our hours have now been cut down by an hour a day, So me and my pal from work, another multi skilled tradesman have recently started our own private work,we are really busy! finished a garage conversion last week, started a new double garage this monday. I think if you look, the work is there.....i might even start advertising.
were off to Nsw in August before the visa expires. I'm not worried about work over there, it can't be as bad as the problems that are happening on the sites over here.
Let the moaning begin...........

Last edited by bu1lder; Feb 4th 2009 at 9:25 pm. Reason: blah blah blah
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

yeh
i know what you mean. as a self employed joiner over here i dont really strugle for work without advertising,but i dont want to stay here(being a white english man) i feel this country is going backwards.let anybody in and give them a house and advice on how to screw the system.:curse:i also do not think i would strugle over in oz, but i need to secure a job with a firm willing to sponser me as i do not wnt to wait for a permenant resident visa.
i will go over and try to do this,hopefully i can do this in the 3 month my eta visa allows me to.
good luck in nsw
i going w.a
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Hi, i'm a tradesman in Lincolnshire, uk.
Our site has gone from 20+ men to 4. all the time i have worked on this site we have never had more than 2 houses for sale, we now have 12.
We as a building firm have just (jan 09) won the NHBC supreme awards presented in London. we came 1st out of 18,000 small to medium builders in the uk. Cracking night out!
Our hours have now been cut down by an hour a day, So me and my pal from work, another multi skilled tradesman have recently started our own private work,we are really busy! finished a garage conversion last week, started a new double garage this monday. I think if you look, the work is there.....i might even start advertising.
were off to Nsw in August before the visa expires. I'm not worried about work over there, it can't be as bad as the problems that are happening on the sites over here.
Let the moaning begin...........
August 2009!!!!
The masked crusader arrives!!! its Bu1lder man!!!!! thankyou Bu1lder man for coming to save all us poor little brickies in oz and show us where we have all been going wrong!!!!! thankyou Bu1lder man what would we all do without you!!!! can we please......... polish your medals!!!!! Dream on.............
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cooter
good god
i was hoping to go out to perth in march to find a job and get a "457".is it really that bad?surely they need to build more houses for a growing population?
i am a chippy by the way
jon
If i were you i would try to avoid the 457 route, you are tied to what work you can do and specific employers that sponsor you. Many use and abuse the hold they have over you and really take the piss, even worse though if all goes tits up you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country. The 457 visa is probably the worst one you can get. It may take longer but go the skilled trade route if possible

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.