Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Construction Process in Australia

Construction Process in Australia

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice
Default Construction Process in Australia

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place I'm just not sure quite under which category you'd place it.

I am an architect moving to Perth this August with my other half (visas's etc all organised and sorted finally!!!). I'm trying to find information/books on the building process in Australia (everyhting from planning and building law through to contracts and general construction methods). Quiet a broad range I know, but so are the area's my job requires me to know about.

I've been looking on-line but so far to little avail as most of the governing authority sites require subscription fees; can anybody direct me in the direction of sites or books that cover these areas in a broad detail just so I have an idea prior to arriving in Australia of what I'm talking about?

Many thanks in advance,

Terry
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Construction Process in Australia

Hi Im also an architect moving to oz in may.

Sorry that I cant be much help as i dont know much about it over there apart from what i heard is that its mostly the same as over here. They still have same contracts apart from they might be named slightly different.

Im slightly concerned about the industry over there as apparently architects have been taken off the skills in demand list.

I also was told that everything is the same apart from they use single glazing... soz cant be much more help!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

OP, please try this forum http://forum.homeone.com.au/
They have lots of info on this.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

a good place to start would be

http://www.architecture.com.au/
http://www.gbca.org.au/

maybe also do some research into AIA in comparison to RIBA in the UK.

Maybe also look into the Property Councils throughout Aus, they have info on standards and latest developments, and often have informative breakfast gatherings to chat about things http://www.propertyoz.com.au/

I am not an architect but involved in construction. If you have any specific questions PM me and I will ask one of the architects in the office or my neighbour who is the principle director of an international firm based in Sydney.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:04 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Idlewood
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place I'm just not sure quite under which category you'd place it.

I am an architect moving to Perth this August with my other half (visas's etc all organised and sorted finally!!!). I'm trying to find information/books on the building process in Australia (everyhting from planning and building law through to contracts and general construction methods). Quiet a broad range I know, but so are the area's my job requires me to know about.

I've been looking on-line but so far to little avail as most of the governing authority sites require subscription fees; can anybody direct me in the direction of sites or books that cover these areas in a broad detail just so I have an idea prior to arriving in Australia of what I'm talking about?

Many thanks in advance,

Terry
Terry if you can get your hands on any 1950's text books from the UK have a look under references

Also try looking (sorry above was a joke) through building product sites such as CSR - hebel bricks and plasterboard
ICF - has not taken off here yet due too lack of skill set of local builders
Austral bricks and Boral bricks were quite helpful sources of info

You could also try looking at the mass home builders to view the styles of homes.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice

Many thanks to all the replys, I'll get stuck into them today.

I mailed several practices just to get a lay of the land and the few who replied said that the employment situation was similar to here at the moment, layoffs and no vacancies at present. Although on eplace did advise me to re-apply shortly before moving as we were discussing several months ahead of their work forecasts.

Still going though!! Wife is a nurse so her work is OK, will just be me getting sorted for work.

Cheers

Terry