British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Construction jobs Gold Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/construction-jobs-gold-coast-713546/)

Jason mears Apr 16th 2011 9:38 am

Construction jobs Gold Coast

Hi
I'm wondering , outside of Brisbane , where on the gold coast is constantly busy for construction / civil engineering positions as we wish to live by the sea
I've been to Brisbane before and know it's busy for work, but we have kids now and don't want to live in the city, I'm also aware of the commute from brisbane Coastal areas to the city which is to great
Therefore, we are looking at the Gold coast if it's sustainable for construction and nursing for my wife
I'm a construction project manager and my wife is a nursing sister and we have 3 kids
Regards
Jason

MarkMC Apr 16th 2011 10:15 am

Re: Construction jobs Gold Coast

I'm no expert but there is construction work going on all over.

New housing estates everywhere, Coomera has a massive town centre development about to start (green field site) - should be a few years work. high rises popping up along the broadwater (southport) and around and just south of surfers.

Jason mears Apr 16th 2011 11:03 am

Ok thanks
What's coomera like as a suburb, is it close the the beech
Thanks
Jason

MarkMC Apr 16th 2011 12:44 pm

Jason, personally I'm not a fan of Upper Coomera, investor/rental city. We are in Coomera Waters, which is also pretty crap, loads of over mortgaged keeping up with the jones's types, body corp are little hitlers, and the security are their steroid monkey army. Absolutely no night life around us. Lights out at 10pm. Having said all that we have no kids, there are a lot of brit families here with kids that love it.

They are not that close to the beach, our closest water is Coomera river, great for fishing and dropping a jet ski in but that's it. Beach is about 30 minutes away unless you are in school holidays then that time can double, especially on the weekend. It seems like half of Australia descends on us in holiday season due to the weather and theme parks. Theme parks are great out of season though, especially as the residents can get unlimited entry tickets.

You need to be south of the Coomera river and east of the Motorway to have better access to the water/beaches. Coomera and Ormeau are just soulless commuter estates as they have ok access in to Brissie CBD.

Sh1t, was I a bit blunt there? I know some people that love it around here, It's doing us for now, but not planning on being here for too much longer.

skinnygeorge Apr 16th 2011 11:47 pm

would mostly agree with Mark there, Though if you are looking at state schools, you`re better out of Coomera in my opinion. We basically moved to Ormeau for its recommended state schools. And are very happy with them. so much so we went from rental to buying in the same area. Much of the areas mentioned are a bit souless but then much of it was built in the last 5 years. And these properties were investment/rentals which are slowly changing to resident owned, So they`re getting better all the time. And there is a fair amount of community events on near us. So we`re getting to know more people. Mainly through the wifes work locally. And beaches wise we find driving further down South past Surfers, Even down to Currumbin can be as quick to less crowded areas.

neil248 Apr 17th 2011 12:38 am

Your wife in nursing should have no problem but try and get in with Queensland health rather than the private sector for better pay and conditions.

I work in cabinet making and we do work for builders and it is very erratic and currently have one gone bankrupt on us.
Not sure how you would be treated with your job title but I know of subcontractors in this area who are treated like s**t, pay rates down and non payment of money always in the back ground.

Job security at the moment seems to be around the zero mark for a lot of people on the coast.

As for housing maybe look beyond the legoland ghettos of Coomera, Pac Pines etc and other investment developments on the motoway corridor.

mark213 Apr 20th 2011 4:32 am

get in contact with the big constructors,

AbiGroup
Laing O Rourke
Leightons
Thiess
John Holland

i'm sure a PM role is easy to secure in those guys. We are in construction (pipelines) and have no end of problems getting good people.

DownUnderPaddy Apr 20th 2011 5:26 am

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 9308523)
I'm no expert but there is construction work going on all over.

New housing estates everywhere, Coomera has a massive town centre development about to start (green field site) - should be a few years work. high rises popping up along the broadwater (southport) and around and just south of surfers.

and an ongoing shortage of skilled trdies to build them it would appear.
Ref this latest press release from the HIA.

Persistent Trade Shortages Highlight Need to Boost Investment
http://hia.com.au/hia/news/article/M...ays%20HIA.aspx

Jason mears Apr 20th 2011 5:43 am

Thanks
I must admit, I've been trawling the recruitment agencies and most of the work seems to be Sydney, Melbourne , Brisbane and Perth
Were not sure were we will be settling as yet , we've looked at Melbourne and Brisbane and the gold coast
The salary seems pretty good in Melbourne but the property is expensive .
I've some good Australian mates in Newcastle and port Macquarie who I know from my last vist to Australia, and it would be good to be close to them as it would make the move easier for me and the kids ,saying that, Newcastle and hunter is quite busy, but I'm not sure about Port
Thanks for the help, I'm getting my CV updated and will try the contractors direct shortly
Kind regards
Jason

perth tiger Apr 20th 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 9315706)
and an ongoing shortage of skilled trdies to build them it would appear.
Ref this latest press release from the HIA.

Persistent Trade Shortages Highlight Need to Boost Investment
http://hia.com.au/hia/news/article/M...ays%20HIA.aspx

they keep coming up with this rubbish. i know a bricklayer that put an ad in the west last week and got 200 calls about it. if theres a shortage of trades how come we get the same rates as 5 years ago

ukecadet Apr 20th 2011 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Jason mears (Post 9315727)
Thanks
I must admit, I've been trawling the recruitment agencies and most of the work seems to be Sydney, Melbourne , Brisbane and Perth
Were not sure were we will be settling as yet , we've looked at Melbourne and Brisbane and the gold coast
The salary seems pretty good in Melbourne but the property is expensive .
I've some good Australian mates in Newcastle and port Macquarie who I know from my last vist to Australia, and it would be good to be close to them as it would make the move easier for me and the kids ,saying that, Newcastle and hunter is quite busy, but I'm not sure about Port
Thanks for the help, I'm getting my CV updated and will try the contractors direct shortly
Kind regards
Jason

For your wife QLD have the best rates of pay.If we were there my wife would be better off to the tune of 20 grand.

Jason mears Apr 20th 2011 8:43 pm

I see that some of you live in Melbourne, what's it like? I have friends living in Brighton, they say it's the best city in Australia
What's the weather like there