Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Construction jobs in Adelaide

Construction jobs in Adelaide

Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future
Default Construction jobs in Adelaide

I'm a Quantity Surveyor in England looking to move to Adelaide, and have been searching for jobs on the internet, however they all seem to be in NSW, Perth, Gold Coast - everywhere except Adelaide.... I heard there's a building boom going on in Adelaide with the gov't pumping money into re-developing the city. Surely there must be jobs?!

Ideally I want to go through the sponsorship visa route, rather than waiting for a year to apply for the immigrant visa myself.

If anyone knows of any agencies or where to find these jobs, it would be great. Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Construction jobs in Adelaide

Originally Posted by mollymalone
I'm a Quantity Surveyor in England looking to move to Adelaide, and have been searching for jobs on the internet, however they all seem to be in NSW, Perth, Gold Coast - everywhere except Adelaide.... I heard there's a building boom going on in Adelaide with the gov't pumping money into re-developing the city. Surely there must be jobs?!

Ideally I want to go through the sponsorship visa route, rather than waiting for a year to apply for the immigrant visa myself.

If anyone knows of any agencies or where to find these jobs, it would be great. Thanks.
I dont know about Adelaide but in Brisbane it is multiple-job choice at the moment.

WW
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

If anyone knows of any Carpentry jobs we would like to know too.
We have been here in Adelaide for 15 months now and the other half has done nothing but struggle to get work. He has managed to find a job here and there, but nothing permanent and nothing that pays any kind of a decent wage for a trades person.
Our argument has been all along, that if there is such a shortage of skilled workers, why aren't the jobs being advertised everywhere?
Some people say, that word of mouth is the only way to get a job, but again, I say, that shouldn't have to be the case. The way the government portray it is, that you would have no problem getting a job as there is so many.
What a joke!
There are the odd lucky few that have got a good job (I don't know of any personally) but there are also a lot of people finding it very difficult too.
It is so bad now that when we have got enough money by us, we are moving to Queensland.
I would advise anyone that has a choice of places to go, don't come here.
It also isn't as cheap here as you are lead to believe.
Julie
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future

I didn't realise it was that bad!

I heard that the gov't are trying to get immigrants to go to Adelaide since there is such a skills shortage there and that they are redeveloping the city. But it sounds like that they are probably just trying to divert people away from the more popular cities !! I suppose everybody wants to go to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth ....

With a small population in Adelaide, I am sure there isn't as much work as the other cities, but I am a little disappointed if the work situation is as bad as you mention it.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise it was that bad!

I heard that the gov't are trying to get immigrants to go to Adelaide since there is such a skills shortage there and that they are redeveloping the city. But it sounds like that they are probably just trying to divert people away from the more popular cities !! I suppose everybody wants to go to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth ....

With a small population in Adelaide, I am sure there isn't as much work as the other cities, but I am a little disappointed if the work situation is as bad as you mention it.

My hubby is an Electrician, there are more jobs here than you can shake a stick at for him. There is quite a bit of building work going on. I can't speak for the southern part of Adelaide, but certainly here in the Northern suburbs there are houses being developed left, right and centre.

It all depends on what you do for a living I suppose

Why not get a list of all the building companies in this area and see if any of them could use your services.

Also why not start applying now for a skilled visa, by the time you find a sponsor and get it all sorted you'll have your skilled one. Plus you can then move if you find that there isn't any work and you won't be tied to one employer.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Sorry to paint such a bad picture, but this is our findings and a true report as to how we find it, (not a made up story as some would think)
If there is anyone else in Adelaide that can paint a rosier picture on the construction side please feel free to do so.
Construction sites are different here, there may be a few houses going up, but it is not the same builder on all of them.
I haven't spotted loads of houses being built everywhere, there are a few sites, but more or less it is probably an odd house being built here and there by different construction firms.
We have tried ringing around different company's with no joy at all.
like I said before there are the lucky few that land a good job.
The only reason why they are saying there is a shortage is because the youngsters just aren't going into the trades, because it is crap money to be an apprentice and you can't guarantee a decent job for 4 years of training.

Julie

Julie
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Might give it a skip then....
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyj
Sorry to paint such a bad picture, but this is our findings and a true report as to how we find it, (not a made up story as some would think)
If there is anyone else in Adelaide that can paint a rosier picture on the construction side please feel free to do so.
Construction sites are different here, there may be a few houses going up, but it is not the same builder on all of them.
I haven't spotted loads of houses being built everywhere, there are a few sites, but more or less it is probably an odd house being built here and there by different construction firms.
We have tried ringing around different company's with no joy at all.
like I said before there are the lucky few that land a good job.
The only reason why they are saying there is a shortage is because the youngsters just aren't going into the trades, because it is crap money to be an apprentice and you can't guarantee a decent job for 4 years of training.

Julie

Julie
Have you been down south lately? Take a trip to Aldinga Beach or Seaford. Huge construction going on there right now. Or if you prefer north, take a ride out to Andrew's Farm or maybe Burton. Mawson Lakes is defo busy for home building right now. I live in Klemzig which is being redeveloped. 2 houses right next door to me just finished last week. Our house is 3 months old. I don't know where you're looking that you don't see the construction, but if you Google new home developments in Adelaide you are sure to come up with tons. For large builders, try...Devine, Hickinbotham, Sterling, AV Jennings, Homestead. Those are a few off the top of my head. Go around to their head offices and ask if they are looking for carpenters.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have you been down south lately? Take a trip to Aldinga Beach or Seaford. Huge construction going on there right now. Or if you prefer north, take a ride out to Andrew's Farm or maybe Burton. Mawson Lakes is defo busy for home building right now. I live in Klemzig which is being redeveloped. 2 houses right next door to me just finished last week. Our house is 3 months old. I don't know where you're looking that you don't see the construction, but if you Google new home developments in Adelaide you are sure to come up with tons. For large builders, try...Devine, Hickinbotham, Sterling, AV Jennings, Homestead. Those are a few off the top of my head. Go around to their head offices and ask if they are looking for carpenters.

The words "wasting" and "breath" spring to mind Dorothy
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
The words "wasting" and "breath" spring to mind Dorothy
Oh, Wendy. I like to hear the sound of my own voice, so nothing wasted here. Besides I must have PMT. I just feel like starting something.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, Wendy. I like to hear the sound of my own voice, so nothing wasted here. Besides I must have PMT. I just feel like starting something.

Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:06 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Have you been down south lately? Take a trip to Aldinga Beach or Seaford. Huge construction going on there right now.
Same down here at Goolwa/Hindmarsh Island. If you want a plumber or electrician down here at the moment they'll book you in for 3 months from now and then not show up.
The Hindmarsh Island Marina is far from finished and already the developers want approval for another 1,000 houses ten minutes up the road.
The only work in this area appears to be in construction.
Edit - and many of he houses in the marina are HUGE, covering the entire house block.

Last edited by welshpom; Jan 11th 2007 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Loui is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Quantity Surveyor also. I moved to Brisbane 12 months ago & the first thing I learnt was I wasn't a QS but a Project Administrator. QS's do quite a different job here but if you normally perform tasks such as cost reporting, Subcontract lettings, payments etc. you'll be an Administrator.

I also found that RICS isn't very well known & your experience will probably get you through the door in any company up to a certain level.

I couldn't comment on the Adelaide construction situation as I work in the Commercial/Industrial sector in Bris which is crying out for Administrators. It didn't take long for my first interview & I was offered the job after 5 minutes.

Like any professional job if you're good at what you do you won't have any problems getting work. I wouldn't depend on the sponsorship route though, start looking at getting the points, it's amazing how quickly 1 year goes when you're planning a relocation. Nobody wanted to know me until I was in the country. Search seek.com for jobs & recruitment agents in the area you want to move to & compare that with other areas of Australia. Stay away from Hays recruitment they are terrible!

Good luck on the many hours of searching the web instead of working!

Loui
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't exactly say they were huge sites. We have visited down there.
The sites that are about don't warrant the call for more carpenters.
My argument is AGAIN where are all the adverts for positions for all these much needed carpenters?
And the words "kiss my arse" come to mind too.
We are living here and not making it up. Anyone else a Carpenter please come forward.

Julie
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sunnyj
I wouldn't exactly say they were huge sites. We have visited down there.
The sites that are about don't warrant the call for more carpenters.
My argument is AGAIN where are all the adverts for positions for all these much needed carpenters?
And the words "kiss my arse" come to mind too.
We are living here and not making it up. Anyone else a Carpenter please come forward.

Julie

You need to stop taking everything personally. Nobody has said you are lying

This is a public forum and people who ask questions are entitled to more than one opinion. You have your opinion, I have mine, Dorothy has hers and guess what, every other person on here has one too.

Just because you are having a tough time (which I really am sorry about, and I wish there was something I could do) doesn't mean that everyone else is.

The OP isn't a carpenter, electrician plumber etc and is asking about if there is any construction going on here, well in my opinion there are quite a lot of houses being built. Maybe you're not looking for somewhere to live like I am so maybe I notice them more just now I don't know but I am NOT calling you a liar I just have a different opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.