Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the construction business slowing down in WA?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about
Default Is the construction business slowing down in WA?

If so do you think that it's just temporary or do you think it will pick up again?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:06 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the construction business slowing down in WA?

Originally Posted by scotty 71
If so do you think that it's just temporary or do you think it will pick up again?
I've heard it has. Wait for Aston man to confirm or search for some of his posts regarding bricklayers wages.

I saw an advert for bricks on the telly the other day, "big deal" you might say, but 2 or 3 years ago you couldn't get bricks for love nor money, the factories just couldn't turn them out quick enough. Now they are advertising bricks on the telly.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

House building is slowing. Commercial/industrial construction is still booming and in reality is probably accelerating.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:13 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

I work for Celebrations and things are picking up again now according to my supervisor (that's in Meadow Springs, Lakelands, Halls Head area)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:52 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

On the whole id say not, get yourself down the South Perth foreshore and take a look back at the city, there's more crane's in view than ive ever seen in the 6years ive been here.
If your including domestic housing in that, there's probably slightly less in certain suburbs, but your still looking at about an 18month completion on anything half decent.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve99
On the whole id say not, get yourself down the South Perth foreshore and take a look back at the city, there's more crane's in view than ive ever seen in the 6years ive been here.
If your including domestic housing in that, there's probably slightly less in certain suburbs, but your still looking at about an 18month completion on anything half decent.
Yeh

I reckon there are far too many brickies out here in Perth. approximately 90 called to an ad that we placed in the paper this week looking for a brickie. That was for 1 job.

I had to laugh - that was the response for 1 job. On breakfast TV this morning there was a big debate about now bringing tradies across to the West from America. As the guy on the TV said 'the brickies are cashing it in and work is endless' - I've no idea where everyone gets this info from as its a lot of bullshit.

The wages have gone down for sure. Day rate approx $280. If that's cashing it in for some people then it's certainly not for me. Come on everyone and get real. Brickies arent making a fortune contrary to what the TV and newspapers make out.

I am not one particular case, I work in the business and speak to a lot of guys out there.

Laura B (on behalf of my hubby!)

Last edited by gordon&laura; Mar 4th 2008 at 4:26 am. Reason: missed something out
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:31 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i would agree with that partner...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:44 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Yeh

I reckon there are far too many brickies out here in Perth. approximately 90 called to an ad that we placed in the paper this week looking for a brickie. That was for 1 job.

I had to laugh - that was the response for 1 job. On breakfast TV this morning there was a big debate about now bringing tradies across to the West from America. As the guy on the TV said 'the brickies are cashing it in and work is endless' - I've no idea where everyone gets this info from as its a lot of bullshit.

The wages have gone down for sure. Day rate approx $280. If that's cashing it in for some people then it's certainly not for me. Come on everyone and get real. Brickies arent making a fortune contrary to what the TV and newspapers make out.

I am not one particular case, I work in the business and speak to a lot of guys out there.

if your hubby is looking for a trowel,i would be willing to start,im strong, well hung,got all my hair,,can drink scottish people under the table,good on a kareoke,i like bacon sandwiches and can stay awake at barbies.....

im shite at laying bricks though ,so ive been told,well not me but others

Last edited by aston man; Mar 4th 2008 at 5:48 am.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Yeh

Not in perth but would echo your point here totally. What shortage of tradies?? , most are picking up work on and off, not consistant at all. If you advertise a job, the applications flood in.

I would guess there is one reason for wanting to bring in 15,000+ workers, if they bring them in on 457 visas they can pay them peanuts, rudd wants huge swathes of housing built as cheaply as possilble on the outskirts of cities, western suburbs of melbourne looks like the plans underway if the age report is correct. I would imagine tiny blocks with crappy houses or flats built as cheap as possible furk australians jobs, bring in 15,000! cause they will be cheap labour.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Not in perth but would echo your point here totally. What shortage of tradies?? , most are picking up work on and off, not consistant at all. If you advertise a job, the applications flood in.

I would guess there is one reason for wanting to bring in 15,000+ workers, if they bring them in on 457 visas they can pay them peanuts, rudd wants huge swathes of housing built as cheaply as possilble on the outskirts of cities, western suburbs of melbourne looks like the plans underway if the age report is correct. I would imagine tiny blocks with crappy houses or flats built as cheap as possible furk australians jobs, bring in 15,000! cause they will be cheap labour.
strange,i used to live in a country where the same kind of thing happened,wasnt it all suppose to keep inflation down as well?

Last edited by aston man; Mar 4th 2008 at 6:21 am.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Good comment. I agree with you 100% - bring them over on 457 visas and pay them peanuts. Only one problem - that's less work for the rest of us and drives everyone's wages down too.

Like Aston Man says - I thought we left a country like that behind....

Watch this space!

Laura
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Yes, drives wages down and increases unemployment for Australians...which in turn also helps control inflation.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:37 am
Banned

there are loads of buildings just coming out the ground,then theres the new stadium.lets hope we all get some busy days ahead..

ast
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about

Cheers everyone, just thought I would get a feel of the situation before I got out there.
I am hoping to do a plastering course in Cannington, probably beginning of next year, I suppose it's the same situation for plasters as it is for brickies?

How long do you think brickies and plasterers will be on the on the MODL/SOL lists? Do you think they will eventually be removed?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry about the typos! Just bloody noticed them now and it would not let me edit the post