Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering the merits of daughter attending uni in UK

Considering the merits of daughter attending uni in UK

Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering the merits of daughter attending uni in UK

It's only worth moving to another country if it suits everyone. Who's to say you move back/stay for your daughter's further ed but she then decides she has no interest in Uni. First Born did two years before realising it was not for her and dropping out. If we'd moved back we'd have been more than pissed off. Your daughter is 12, if she were mine, I can't imagine 'arranging' her future further than what I was going to buy her for her 13th birthday but maybe that's just me.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's only worth moving to another country if it suits everyone. Who's to say you move back/stay for your daughter's further ed but she then decides she has no interest in Uni. First Born did two years before realising it was not for her and dropping out. If we'd moved back we'd have been more than pissed off. Your daughter is 12, if she were mine, I can't imagine 'arranging' her future further than what I was going to buy her for her 13th birthday but maybe that's just me.
I was amazed to find out how some parents map out the future they want for their child. One of my daughter's school friends picked the uni they wanted her to go to...before she was born. They even picked out the dorm room. They manipulated her education...what subjects she took...what hobbies and sports she did etc. to achieve their aim. She got the dorm room in the uni of choice...Princeton. Last time I heard of her she was going through a tough time with drugs.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
She is only 12 now so can't really make such decision now. We are planning for the future. Likely the father will cope the bill for any fees
This being the case ie Dad can pay the fees irregardless of being classified as a home or international student in UK, leave it at this & let yr 12 yr old "enjoy" her schooling and leave decisions to her when the time comes.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Conclusion
Not worth the effort to relocate for 3-4 years to save a potential £20000.

Anyone have any other opinions or experiences?
I would not relocate the entire family back on the basis of cost for a 12 year old's future university education. In fact I must admit I find that idea quite insane. She might not even want to go to university by that time for all you know.

Live where you want to live. I don't see any Australian's around me suffering because they want to an Australian university.

I graduated 20 years ago and my degree remains relevant to career opportunities. It is important for me to demonstrate that I have a tertiary education now. It usually impresses that my subject is mathematics. When I graduated and for the first few years, my degree result was of great interest. But not for a very long time (if at all) has anyone shown the slightest bit of interest in the particular institute I studied in.

Do what is right for your whole family now and frankly do what is right for yourselves. Your daughter will make her own decisions about where to live when she is an adult anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almo
Do you have to complete the last three years of high school in the UK? Admittedly it was some time ago, but we moved to the UK in time for my brother to do his A-levels there and he then had a gap year to get to the three years. Just wondered if it had changed or whether you would consider that as an option? If she worked for a year it would be good for her CV, would open up avenues if her degree doesn't and would get some cash behind her.
I think not necessary last 3 years at high school but last 3 years resident
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was amazed to find out how some parents map out the future they want for their child. One of my daughter's school friends picked the uni they wanted her to go to...before she was born. They even picked out the dorm room. They manipulated her education...what subjects she took...what hobbies and sports she did etc. to achieve their aim. She got the dorm room in the uni of choice...Princeton. Last time I heard of her she was going through a tough time with drugs.
I know a family that have decided the AFL team for all their kids
Collingwood

Unfortuately they dont get to choose which juvee they all can attend together
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

I agree with GarryP - the question is, why does one go to university?

For a professional career (e.g. physician, dentist, law), best to aim for the top university in the country that you intend to practice in, because degree recognition will be easier, and you will make contacts for life.

It's a bit trickier for an academic career (in research). The best advice is (a) avoid toytown universities such as Kingston like the plague; (b) go to a university that is strong in research, and get a first class degree (easy to do, if you are willing to graft for 3 years, but difficult for those who rely on innate talent).

For a general career (tinker, tailor etc) - any state level university will do.

Nowadays, little value is attached to first degrees that are not professional in nature. This will only get worse in future, so think about postgraduate studies too in your ten year plan.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:56 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to gather my thoughts on the wisdom & timing of our daughter attending university in the UK. It is something we are thinking about and wondered if anyone else has considered or done same.

My first consideration is the financial implication of being considered an international student instead of a local/EU student even though she is dual citizen. My understanding is that if a British citizen resident outside of EU wishes to attend university in the UK, and they have not completed at least their last 3 years high school in the UK/EU, they will have to pay international fees at university.
I was in a similar situation where I was considered an international student (regardless of being a citizen) simply because I transferred over from the US and wasn't resident in the UK/EU before that.

Back then I believe the I had to pay similar fees to the 9k with "local" students paying absolute peanuts in comparison. The plus side is that you have a higher chance of getting in as schools love international students for this very reason.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bra_boy
I agree with GarryP - the question is, why does one go to university? ....

...Nowadays, little value is attached to first degrees that are not professional in nature. This will only get worse in future, so think about postgraduate studies too in your ten year plan.
Hey, at least someone read it !

Universities are at a bifurcation point. They are pushing up course costs at the same time lifetime earnings from a degree are going down (following wages, which are stagnated at best, and opportunities which are v tight). Simultaneously online delivery becomes a 'why not' option for the same piece of paper at the end.

As such, things are likely to change significantly over the medium term.

Planning on the basis of what a parent experienced, or even just today's status quo is a bad plan. For the general purpose degree, get the cheapest piece of paper that won't get you excluded (which may well be an online course) and put your main efforts into an independently viable career path and real world achievements.

Above all, stay flexible. If you were aimed at a medical career for a 12 year old, you are practically looking at, at least, 16 years hence before you could have a reasonable life - IF you didn't trip up along the way - IF you could find a post - IF by 16 years hence your AR glasses don't automatically diagnose your ailments as a free app and surgery isn't all conducted by robots.

Long term plans fail, the focus needs to be on long term flexibility.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bra_boy
I agree with GarryP - the question is, why does one go to university?

For a professional career (e.g. physician, dentist, law), best to aim for the top university in the country that you intend to practice in, because degree recognition will be easier, and you will make contacts for life.

It's a bit trickier for an academic career (in research). The best advice is (a) avoid toytown universities such as Kingston like the plague; (b) go to a university that is strong in research, and get a first class degree (easy to do, if you are willing to graft for 3 years, but difficult for those who rely on innate talent).

For a general career (tinker, tailor etc) - any state level university will do.

Nowadays, little value is attached to first degrees that are not professional in nature. This will only get worse in future, so think about postgraduate studies too in your ten year plan.
Yes agree, why would anyone consider a move back to the UK for Kingston or Sussex?