Reload this Page >

Considering Emigrating to Perth WA from UK

Considering Emigrating to Perth WA from UK

Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:35 am
Moving to Perth 2007

est71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering Emigrating to Perth WA from UK

Hi Everyone,

Been trawling the interney for information on Perth WA and experiences people have had in moving out there. My wifes brother has lived out there for 12 years and I was last out there on holiday 10 years ago.
I am married with 2 children aged 8 and 14, my wife works as a Nurse in the intensive care unit in Bolton Hospital, Lancashire, and I work in the construction industry as a sales manager. Emigrating is somthing that we have thought about before but did not meet the points criteria, it seems due to my wifes job we would find no problem in getting accepted. We plan a holiday in Perth for about 3 weeks next year and then will make the BIG decision.

ANY THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening

Last edited by est71; Aug 25th 2006 at 6:47 am.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Emigrating to Perth WA from UK

Originally Posted by est71
Hi Everyone,

Been trawling the interney for information on Perth WA and experiences people have had in moving out there. My wifes brother has lived out there for 12 years and I was last out there on holiday 10 years ago.
I am married with 2 children aged 8 and 14, my wife works as a Nurse in the intensive care unit in Bolton Hospital, Lancashire, and I work in the construction industry as a sales manager. Emigrating is somthing that we have thought about before but did not meet the points criteria, it seems due to my wifes job we would find no problem in getting accepted. We plan a holiday in Perth for about 3 weeks next year and then will make the BIG decision.

Thanks for listening
Welcome! We live in Perth and love it. It is perfect for us as it has most things a big city has without the hustle and bustle. WA is going through a boom right now which means lots of jobs / good pay but houses are expensive.

I suggest you type Perth into the search box and read some of the hundreds of threads before you come back with specific questions. There are plenty of infammatory posts around so try not to rise to the bait.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:14 am
Moving to Perth 2007

Originally Posted by worzel
Welcome! We live in Perth and love it. It is perfect for us as it has most things a big city has without the hustle and bustle. WA is going through a boom right now which means lots of jobs / good pay but houses are expensive.

I suggest you type Perth into the search box and read some of the hundreds of threads before you come back with specific questions. There are plenty of infammatory posts around so try not to rise to the bait.

Cheers,

I will get looking!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Jayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant futureJayniebabes has a brilliant future

Hi there

We've been in Perth now 3 months - we came I think with a little rose tinted glasses on - house by the sea, no mortgage and that isn't going to be the case (too expensive) but all that said - we so far definately have a better lifestyle than we had in UK (London to be exact).

I don't need to work so for the first time in 2 years I can stay at home and be mum to my little girl. We can manage on one wage and live easily. The life is so much better - you do things more at weekends, you have lots of BBQ in the park, you head to beach on your days off and you just live life at a slower pace.

I would say go for it and if you need any advice if you decide to come - let me know - more than happy to help

Good luck

Jayne
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jayniebabes
Hi there

We've been in Perth now 3 months - we came I think with a little rose tinted glasses on - house by the sea, no mortgage and that isn't going to be the case (too expensive) but all that said - we so far definately have a better lifestyle than we had in UK (London to be exact).

I don't need to work so for the first time in 2 years I can stay at home and be mum to my little girl. We can manage on one wage and live easily. The life is so much better - you do things more at weekends, you have lots of BBQ in the park, you head to beach on your days off and you just live life at a slower pace.

I would say go for it and if you need any advice if you decide to come - let me know - more than happy to help

Good luck

Jayne
hi jayne, wot order did you do it, ie house first etc. we have a friend in perth who we can stop with. its just finding the right subuerb, schools etc. thanks tony
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

hi and welcome to a great site. I'm a nurse too (North Manchester General) and we are heading to Perth in November. We went out there last year and had a look around. We fell in love with the place and the way of life. We used to live in Cyprus for a few years and found Perth to be very similar. Very laid back with a slow pace of life. I would suggest that if you are serious about going you start to collect the necessary information now, as it can take a long time to get everything together. Once you actually get your visa you have 5 years to act on it once you validate. Any questions about the process for nurses feel free to PM me or have a look on the Nurses forum, there is always someone to help. I know I'd have never got this far without all the help I got on here.
Tracie
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for listening
were heading to perth in approx 6weeks (house selling.....at last) my only advise would to start the application/paperwork process now, it can take a long time just to get the relevant info together even before youve started to write your main application, go for it!!! we cant wait to get out!! also from n mcr.........need i say anymore
Old Aug 26th 2006, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

We've been in Perth now for nearly two years.

One thing i would say is it's not a place to come for a cheaper way of life, the cost of living here is as much as the Uk, and the houses are bigger sure, but not cheaper really, but it has got a lot going for it.
There is a bit of nightlife about but you need to be going into the city or northbridge to get to it, it has the most beautiful sunsets, white sandy beaches and the most beautiful blue ocean. The south west(wine region) is about 2 hours drive for some beautiful places to holiday. Loads of places to 4WD if you fancy that, loads of sporting events/clubs fo kids and adults. Parks all over the place of course.

Work, there's plenty about, and i wouldn't think you'd have a whole lot of trouble in your chosen professions.
Really, I'd say it's a very relaxed outdoorsy lifestyle on the whole. If you love a barbie with friends in the comfort of your back yard as opposed to a night in the pub then Perth might be the place.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 6:59 am
Moving to Perth 2007

Originally Posted by The Corderys
We've been in Perth now for nearly two years.

One thing i would say is it's not a place to come for a cheaper way of life, the cost of living here is as much as the Uk, and the houses are bigger sure, but not cheaper really, but it has got a lot going for it.
There is a bit of nightlife about but you need to be going into the city or northbridge to get to it, it has the most beautiful sunsets, white sandy beaches and the most beautiful blue ocean. The south west(wine region) is about 2 hours drive for some beautiful places to holiday. Loads of places to 4WD if you fancy that, loads of sporting events/clubs fo kids and adults. Parks all over the place of course.

Work, there's plenty about, and i wouldn't think you'd have a whole lot of trouble in your chosen professions.
Really, I'd say it's a very relaxed outdoorsy lifestyle on the whole. If you love a barbie with friends in the comfort of your back yard as opposed to a night in the pub then Perth might be the place.
Thanks for the info.

I have checked out house prices and wages etc and your right not much different to UK but houses are bigger with more spacious gardens etc. The lifestyle also appeals to me and my wife and kids. We will be looking to book flight tickets soon so we can go over for a 3-4 week holiday in October next year to check the place out.

Anyone know any good websites for cheap flights?
Old Aug 26th 2006, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for listening

Go for it, And welcome.
Denise, from sunny Morecambe
Old Aug 26th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We have been in Perth for 2 years, at first it was very hard, but now I wouldnt go back to the UK.
As with you being in the construction industry.............there is loads of work here, as Perth is still growing as a city. All the best with your decisions!!
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:49 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

I have checked out house prices and wages etc and your right not much different to UK but houses are bigger with more spacious gardens etc. The lifestyle also appeals to me and my wife and kids. We will be looking to book flight tickets soon so we can go over for a 3-4 week holiday in October next year to check the place out.

Anyone know any good websites for cheap flights?

asda website has a travel bit and I've found it easy to navigate AND found good prices for flights