Reload this Page >

Considering Brisbane??

Considering Brisbane??

Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

LLoveys79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Considering Brisbane??

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum and really after some help. My Husband and I are considering moving to Australia with our two children who are 4 and 2yrs. On initial research we were considering Perth but have recently been put off from a seminar that we attended. Now looking at Brisbane or Gold coast. My Husband is in talks with a company as we are needing to get a sponsored visa. He works in Recruitment and I am in childcare.
Can anyone offer any advice on what its like to live in Brisbane, good areas to live with kids for schools, parks, beach etc.

Thanks
LLoveys79
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Brisbane??

Originally Posted by LLoveys79
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum and really after some help. My Husband and I are considering moving to Australia with our two children who are 4 and 2yrs. On initial research we were considering Perth but have recently been put off from a seminar that we attended. Now looking at Brisbane or Gold coast. My Husband is in talks with a company as we are needing to get a sponsored visa. He works in Recruitment and I am in childcare.
Can anyone offer any advice on what its like to live in Brisbane, good areas to live with kids for schools, parks, beach etc.

Thanks
LLoveys79
Look at the north brisbane areas of redcliffe, Woody Point if you want beaches. These are flat safe beaches not the surf beaches of sunshine and gold coasts, SC is about 45 mins from that area. Masses of parks beaches down there, miles of riding tracks etc.

Good thing with north brisbane is it has a huge amount of development planned so better chance of work. Childcare workers are in demand but honestly its not that great pay or so I am told.

Housing in the above areas is very very cheap, you could pick up a house minute to the beach for upwards of $300,000. Fraction of many other states and they are not flood areas and a rail link is planned for the area.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

We originally stayed in the Bayside region when we arrived and if we didn't have to live in the Western suburbs we would definitely be living there.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 5:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

If I didn't live out in the sticks halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast I'd also live up near Redcliffe and the surrounds.

If the rail link ever happens it'll be even more of a growth area.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

LLoveys79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys I'll take a look at those areas. Do you know if they have an expat community?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys I'll take a look at those areas. Do you know if they have an expat community?
If you want to be around British people why are you coming to Australia?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

As soon as you get involved with schools and prep etc with young children you soon make friends, there are lots of us Brits everywhere but you won't have any trouble meeting people, depending on your budget and where you hubbie will be working determines where you will end up settling I expect but Brisbane in our experience is a great place to bring up children and to enjoy a great climate (most of the time).
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Up north towards redcliffe, maybe even sandgate as there is a train station to Brisbane or out east to Wellington point, manly, would be for me. Instead I am half way between bris and gc, jobs won over location for us.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Oh and redcliffe and Wellington point areas have lots of expats. In birkdale, bayside area of brisbane there is an English chippy, Indian and shop!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

I love the Gold Coast (not Surfers Paradise though). Lots of people don't, but I and many others do. I find the bayside area nice but a bit quiet. Sunshine Coast is nice enough but too far for me to commute and not enough job opportunities.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Look at the north brisbane areas of redcliffe, Woody Point if you want beaches. These are flat safe beaches not the surf beaches of sunshine and gold coasts, SC is about 45 mins from that area. Masses of parks beaches down there, miles of riding tracks etc.

Good thing with north brisbane is it has a huge amount of development planned so better chance of work. Childcare workers are in demand but honestly its not that great pay or so I am told.

Housing in the above areas is very very cheap, you could pick up a house minute to the beach for upwards of $300,000. Fraction of many other states and they are not flood areas and a rail link is planned for the area.
Those areas are miles away. One of the attractions for me about Brisbane is that you dont have to live an hour away from the CBD to be affordable.

There are nice areas a lot closer to the City, but you will be near the river not near beaches. not sure how keen you are on beaches.

Any idea where the likely job will be?

I have never lived in the Gold Coast but I dont think I'd want to.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by newkiwi
I have never lived in the Gold Coast but I dont think I'd want to.
Each to their own, Surfers is not for me, but where I live (Hope Island) suits me. I work in Brissie CBD but wouldn't live there.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:25 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer
Each to their own, Surfers is not for me, but where I live (Hope Island) suits me. I work in Brissie CBD but wouldn't live there.
Indeed, living 'on the Gold Coast' does not have to mean being surrounded by concrete, crime and glitz.

There are plenty of nice areas away from the crowds (and the Poms ).
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:19 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

It's got many fantastic places to live up and down the coast, it is a different world, we loved it.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Indeed, living 'on the Gold Coast' does not have to mean being surrounded by concrete, crime and glitz.

There are plenty of nice areas away from the crowds (and the Poms ).
I wouldn't mind living on one of them posh estates in Sanctuary Cove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.