conservatories in brisbane

Wikiposts

conservatories in brisbane

Old Jul 13th 2003, 1:42 am
mark,abbi,tia & max

mark warner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default conservatories in brisbane

hi all

i was wondering if anybody knows of any companies in the brisbane area that install pvc windows and conservatories although i am hoping to go to oz a carpenter the pvc industry is something i have spent a fair bit of time in,

thanks in advance for any info

mark
brisbane by the new year(we hope)
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:38 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: conservatories in brisbane

Originally posted by mark warner
hi all

i was wondering if anybody knows of any companies in the brisbane area that install pvc windows and conservatories although i am hoping to go to oz a carpenter the pvc industry is something i have spent a fair bit of time in,

thanks in advance for any info

mark
brisbane by the new year(we hope)

Now I don't know for sure but I'd be suprised to see UPVC windows or conservatories in Brisbane. I don't think Australians do the conservatory thing, why build a room in the garden when you can just sit in the garden? Alo never seen anything other than single glazed metal framed windows. Don't know if UPVC would work as all windows need to be opened and screened given the climate. Anyone know any different?
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

A work mate of mine from New Zealand tells me that UPVC isnt favoured in Australasia due to the fact that it deteriorates quickly in Ultra Violet light. Sun gives out a lot of this and so the life expectancy of UPVC is apparently short in sunny climates.

Allegedly, apparently, so I'm told, heard it on the grapevine,,,,,,,,,,
but is sounded convincing.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Don't think I've ever seen an enclosed conservatory in Brisbane, it just dosn't have the climate for them. Agree with Jayr why enclose a room that would then require airconsditioning to make it useable for 90% of the years when you could achieve the same thing by just putting up a roof for shelter from the sun and occasional rain at a fraction of the cost.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

In QLD you build your house to be as cool as possible not to attract the Sun!!

A covered patio is norm on most new houses which is under the main roof.

You avoid West like the plague, or your house will be a furnace.

Get air condit, fans have a wonderful effect in summer of blowing the hot air onto you, like having a heater blowing on you when its already mid 30's.

New Building Codes from Sept will up the requirements for insulation and ventilation and shaded or tinted windows.

Think Australian, they try to avoid the sun not encourage it.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 11:06 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

There IS a conservatory at the Botanical Gardens in Toowong, Brisbane - but its cooler inside than out, must be airconditioned
Old Jul 13th 2003, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by magnetman
There IS a conservatory at the Botanical Gardens in Toowong, Brisbane - but its cooler inside than out, must be airconditioned
I believe its because some plants would not survive the heat here, so they have to 'cool it for them' (opposite of a hot house in UK) .

Lots of fruit and veg grown in QLD has to be shaded or the heat burns them. We grow heaps of organic stuff, often just one really hot day in late Nov or Dec will kill every veggie plant we have, they just fry. We just give up in summer. Lots of people tho construct giant shade houses and battle on.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with many of the answers. The idea in Australia is to avoid the sun as much as possible, especially in your house. I think I have an idea of what a conservatory is. I don't think they are wanted in Australia. The PVC would soon turn orange anyway because of the UV radiation. Many people have tinted windows, outside shutters or sun/storm sheilds that roll down to cover the windows and block the sun. Most people will draw the curtains to stop direct sunlight coming into the house as it will fade everything - floor boards, carpets, everything.

Shade is like gold. People pay a lot of money to keep the sun out of their houses. I think you would be looked at with amazement if you asked a builder to make a conservatory, even if he knew what it was.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kaleb777

Shade is like gold. People pay a lot of money to keep the sun out of their houses. I think you would be looked at with amazement if you asked a builder to make a conservatory, even if he knew what it was.
When I saw the headline I thought he was talking about conservatories of the musical kind - the other kind don't seem to make too much sense in a country where one can sit outside on the patio most of the year
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

would it not feel like sitting in a greenhouse!! Phew!!