Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Connecting flights, is there enough time?

Connecting flights, is there enough time?

Old May 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Connecting flights, is there enough time?

Hi

Sorry if this is a really dumb question

When we flew to Oz last year, we had a transit stop in Hong Kong but the plane remained the same, so it was simply a case of wandering around the airport for a couple of hours before re boarding.

However, most of the flights I am looking at for June this year, appear to all have a change of plane with approx 2 hours between the flights.

What happens to the luggage? Is it all transferred to the new plane for you?

Do you have to check back in again or is it just a simple check of passports etc?

Is 2 hours enough time, when changing planes and what happens if not? As these are the connections the airline is giving, I presume they are confident of no problems?

Thanks

Sam
Old May 25th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connecting flights, is there enough time?

From previous experience your luggage will be checked through to your final destination so you won't have to pick it up again until you reach where ever you are going.

If you're not sure, phone the airline, they'll give you a definitive answer.
Old May 25th 2008, 1:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

When we flew to Oz last year, we had a transit stop in Hong Kong but the plane remained the same, so it was simply a case of wandering around the airport for a couple of hours before re boarding.

However, most of the flights I am looking at for June this year, appear to all have a change of plane with approx 2 hours between the flights.

Do you have to check back in again or is it just a simple check of passports etc?

Is 2 hours enough time, when changing planes and what happens if not? As these are the connections the airline is giving, I presume they are confident of no problems?

Thanks

Sam
When you book the flights they will book you onto an advertised connection, and you'll be fine
The luggage will be booked straight through, and its enough time. I usually go through Singapore, 2 hours between flights and all you need to do if change gates, so its very easy. You wil be given the boarding card for both flights when you check in at the beginning of the journey, and all you have to do is show your boarding card and passport at the new gate.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Sam
When you check in, your luggage will be checked right through to your final destination and you will be given onward boarding passess for your connecting flight. For your conneting flight, you will pass through the transit area of the airport which means, you don't clear customs or go through immigation, but simply return to the specfied boarding gate. If its only a 2 hour turn around, you will probably only have an hour to wander around, as they usually require you back at the gate about 45 miutes before departure.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah n Andy will become famous soon enoughSarah n Andy will become famous soon enough

Hi

Thanks

Sam
Hi Sam,
Just be careful ,what the other guys have said so far is right but we had a dreadful experience last year and would hate for anyone else to have to go through what we went through.We had a 2 hour wait between connecting flights but was delayed with engine trouble at Manchester and arrived at Heathrow too late to board the plane (even though flight was not due to take off for another 30 mins-they had closed the boarding gate and refused to let us on) then B.A booked us onto another flight and this was an hour late taking off so by the time we cleared customs in L.A- the boarding gate was closed and once again they wouldn't let us on the flight even though it hadn't yet departed.
So, although this is probably a complete one off and a tremedous stroke of bad luck, just be aware that a) B.A are the worst airline I have ever come across and wouldn't recommend them to anyone and b)unfortunately if you do miss your connection and they isn't a flight for a number of hours or the next day, although you might be given accomodation until a flight becomes available-your luggage may well be on it's way to your destination leaving you stranded without any clean "knicks" !!

Sorry If I have depressed you all- like I said could probably "only happen to me" but just be aware it does happen-it took us 3 days to get from Manchester to Melbourne (after 2 missed connections with a 2 hour waiting time between each!!!!)

Good Luck Sam-what ever you decide to do !!
Old May 25th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

When we flew last October we had three planes (Frankfurt - London, London - Singapore, Singapore - Sydney) Our (four) bags were checked right through but two of them missed their connection!

Remember:

1. Mix your clothes between the bags (i.e. don't put all your shoes in one bag).
2. When your bags get lost to remain calm and ask for some compensation on the spot (say the bags have all your essentials in). We were given $200. The bags turned up the next day.
Old May 26th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, its sillt to worry about the littel things but my life is so full of big things at the moment, eg selling the house, that I can't think about that! So I'm busy fretting about the little details now instead

Sam
Old May 26th 2008, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Kate209 is an unknown quantity at this point

On every flight I've taken, with connecting flights, your luggage is checked in at your departure airport, straight through. This means the luggage handlers take responsibility for getting your luggage on to your connecting flights.

Hi

Thanks

Sam
Old May 26th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, its sillt to worry about the littel things but my life is so full of big things at the moment, eg selling the house, that I can't think about that! So I'm busy fretting about the little details now instead

Sam
Sam, I have travelled a lot, all over the world. The one thing I always do is pack two changes of underwear in my carry-on luggage
I've never had to use them yet though
Old May 26th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Sam, I have travelled a lot, all over the world. The one thing I always do is pack two changes of underwear in my carry-on luggage
I've never had to use them yet though
Two pairs? Surely you could just pack one and turn them inside out for day 2? There, I've just saved you some space/weight in your luggage
Old May 27th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Sam
Hi Sam - when we went to Tas from Perth last year - our flights to Melbourne and then onto Tas were with VirginBlue and our luggage was booked right through to the final destination...so there was no worrying about the luggage. We were mean't to have a 2 hour wait before boarding at Melbourne but the plane was actually delayed so we ended up waiting longer...
On our flight from Gatwick to Perth though we were delayed and some people who were flying onto Brisbane would have missed their connecting flights - and instead of having 2+ hours at Dubai we only actually had an hour...
Only problem we had last year was that our buggy missed being put on the plane at Gatwick - probably because we took it to the boarding gate with us - but we were reunited with it 3 days later in Perth...

As for the comment about change of underwear in your handluggage - glad i'm not the only person that packs a set of clean underwear for myself!
and i too mix clothes in our cases....so everyone has bit of their stuff in each case... Just means you'd have to do the unpacking - otherwise all your carefully folded stuff would be chucked about by the kids trying to find just their own bits!