British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Confussed over NZQA Results....can anyone help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/confussed-over-nzqa-results-can-anyone-help-108065/)

Pippa Aug 28th 2002 7:43 am

Confussed over NZQA Results....can anyone help?

Hello Everyone I wonder if anyone can help me yet again.!

We have had Nicks NZQA report which says that he has scored 10 points in 3 areas of work, so he can choose which he wants to use (10 points Carpentry & Joinery, 10 points Advanced Carpentry and Joinery or 10 points Structural Engineering).

This in itself is is good news but then im confused by the way in brackets they put how many years (3yrs, 1yrs and 3 yrs respectively) What does this mean.

We want to claim as many points as possible in the PR (12 yrs total) and want to try an explain that it was a natural progresion from manual C&J to Consulting Structural Engineering so using ALL his work experience.

What does the comment in brackets about years mean? Is this the maximum work experience years that will be counted?
If so it would only be 1 point on the PR. Is it relevant at all ?

HELP.....:confussed:

Am I not understanding this at all correctly or what.

I hope someone can help me out as Im tearing my hair out today and cant wait for tonight so that I can telephone NZ for an explanation.

Please can someone help me out......I'm going quietly MAD :scared:

Thanks again

Pippa xx

Don Aug 28th 2002 8:58 am

Re: Confussed over NZQA Results....can anyone help?

Hi Pippa,

I don't know exactly what they meant by the bracketed periods - but would guess they meant that your husband was seen as qualifying (ie learning/ apprenticeship) for NZQA points in that particular field for that timelength.

Remember that NZQA is NOT a branch of the NZIS and is merely contracted to run the qualifications assessment scheme. Only the NZIS is empowered to decide how many years' work experience your husband has.

I would guess that you can make a good case for saying that all your husband's work experience is relevant to his qualifications due to the natural progression you mention. But I think you should speak to your case officer to get advice. In my own case NZIS were happy to accept that various quite unrelated elements of my career were relevant to my non-vocational degree, so I think they are not too difficult to persuade.

Cheers - Don

lizzie Aug 28th 2002 1:48 pm

Re: Confussed over NZQA Results....can anyone help?

Originally posted by Pippa:
We have had Nicks NZQA report which says that he has scored 10 points in 3 areas of work, so he can choose which he wants to use (10 points Carpentry & Joinery, 10 points Advanced Carpentry and Joinery or 10 points Structural Engineering).

Hello Pippa

Don't know if this will help at all but we had a slightly similar situation (not through NZQA though). My partner has an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering but actually for the last 18 years has worked as a computer software engineer. We didn't need to get his quals. assessed as it is on the list of approved qualifications. We wrote to NZIS and asked about his career progression. They asked him to telephone and have a chat. The outcome was that he wrote a document (fairly brief - just over an A4) showing how he had used the skills learned in his quals. throughout his career which had lead him to what he does now (he never actually learnt computer programming in his HNC but he showed how the use of computers in the work place for testing etc got him interested in them further) and so on leading to his current employment. He obviously had to get references etc to back all this up. I would suggest if in doubt about anything, telephone NZIS, we have had to do this twice about separate issues and have found them extremely helpful. The conclusion being our application was processed in 3 weeks! (We are convinced that because we had a good chat with our case officer on the phone that this helped.)

Regards

Lizzie:)