Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confusion over what's actually happening in housing market!!

Confusion over what's actually happening in housing market!!

Old May 31st 2004, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confusion over what's actually happening in housing market!!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...855437281.html

OzTennis
Old May 31st 2004, 9:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Confusion over what's actually happening in housing market!!

Originally posted by OzTennis
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...855437281.html

OzTennis
It is confusing isnt it

I like this quote
"In a new report today, consultants BIS Shrapnel say the housing bubble will not burst just yet, but rather, prices will continue rising until they finally crash in 2006-07."

Old May 31st 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

sembonor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It is confusing isnt it

I like this quote
"In a new report today, consultants BIS Shrapnel say the housing bubble will not burst just yet, but rather, prices will continue rising until they finally crash in 2006-07."
Which one do you like? The 'rising' part or the 'crash' part?
Old May 31st 2004, 9:59 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sembonor
Which one do you like? The 'rising' part or the 'crash' part?
I like "consultants BIS Shrapnel", which may be what follows a "crash"
Old May 31st 2004, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

It is confusing isnt it

I like this quote
"..... prices will continue rising until they finally crash in 2006-07."
I love this part
Sarah
Old May 31st 2004, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

It is confusing isnt it

I like this quote
And haven't they changed their very small minds. Ah yes, those BIS consultants - they put the 'z' in IQ. The Economist has been predicting a substantial downturn in the Oz housing market since mid'2003.

Here's an extract from an ABC interview in mid-2003 with BIS:

Our [ABC] Finance Correspondent Stephen Long has been speaking to the director of building services at BIS Shrapnel, Robert Mellor, who says there's no prospect of a housing market crash.

ROBERT MELLOR: No, I don't think we ever were, I think there are some economists out there and people such as you know, The Economist magazine who have been talking about a housing crash, but the fundamentals are so strong for housing generally around Australia and for residential property that, because of very strong population growth driven by higher overseas migration into Australia, which is much higher than we previously all understood because of new Bureau of Statistics figures, you know we're basically getting around 135-140,000 people per annum coming into the country, net, and that's driving strong demand.

STEPHEN LONG: So you're talking about home prices going up by up to 36 per cent over the next three years. What's that going to do to home price affordability?

ROBERT MELLOR: Look, it'll be a major issue for affordability. In the case of Brisbane really they missed out on any strong price growth during the late 1990s, so therefore basically the sort of increase that we're looking at really brings it back into line to sort of long-term movements.

STEPHEN LONG: Because you're talking about big increases in Brisbane as well as Sydney, aren't you?

ROBERT MELLOR: That's right, Brisbane will be the stand-out market and really, one needs to remember that in a long-term sense, Brisbane prices have been undervalued. They've risen over the last eighteen months to two years but they've been significantly undervalued and this is catch-up time driven by very high population growth, not only in Brisbane but throughout south-east Queensland generally.

STEPHEN LONG: So if you're predictions are right, I guess that's bad news for those of us with mortgages and variable rates. I know your colleagues are BIS Shrapnel have predicted that interest rates will rise to about ten per cent, possibly higher by 2006.

Do you stand by that prediction?

ROBERT MELLOR: We do, and if anything over the last three or four months as we've re-analysed what's happening in housing because of that stronger underlying demand I think the inevitability of interest rates getting up to 10 per cent is just further confirmed.

Really, BIS? If you were correct, there would be a continuing boom as those 'fundamentals' still exist. 3 years growth - up to 2006. I don't think so.

In other words, what a load of boll***s!
Old May 31st 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

I like that BIS consultant:

Never give up!

Originally posted by MikeStanton
And haven't they changed their very small minds. Ah yes, those BIS consultants - they put the 'z' in IQ. The Economist has been predicting a substantial downturn in the Oz housing market since mid'2003.

Here's an extract from an ABC interview in mid-2003 with BIS:

Our [ABC] Finance Correspondent Stephen Long has been speaking to the director of building services at BIS Shrapnel, Robert Mellor, who says there's no prospect of a housing market crash.

ROBERT MELLOR: No, I don't think we ever were, I think there are some economists out there and people such as you know, The Economist magazine who have been talking about a housing crash, but the fundamentals are so strong for housing generally around Australia and for residential property that, because of very strong population growth driven by higher overseas migration into Australia, which is much higher than we previously all understood because of new Bureau of Statistics figures, you know we're basically getting around 135-140,000 people per annum coming into the country, net, and that's driving strong demand.

STEPHEN LONG: So you're talking about home prices going up by up to 36 per cent over the next three years. What's that going to do to home price affordability?

ROBERT MELLOR: Look, it'll be a major issue for affordability. In the case of Brisbane really they missed out on any strong price growth during the late 1990s, so therefore basically the sort of increase that we're looking at really brings it back into line to sort of long-term movements.

STEPHEN LONG: Because you're talking about big increases in Brisbane as well as Sydney, aren't you?

ROBERT MELLOR: That's right, Brisbane will be the stand-out market and really, one needs to remember that in a long-term sense, Brisbane prices have been undervalued. They've risen over the last eighteen months to two years but they've been significantly undervalued and this is catch-up time driven by very high population growth, not only in Brisbane but throughout south-east Queensland generally.

STEPHEN LONG: So if you're predictions are right, I guess that's bad news for those of us with mortgages and variable rates. I know your colleagues are BIS Shrapnel have predicted that interest rates will rise to about ten per cent, possibly higher by 2006.

Do you stand by that prediction?

ROBERT MELLOR: We do, and if anything over the last three or four months as we've re-analysed what's happening in housing because of that stronger underlying demand I think the inevitability of interest rates getting up to 10 per cent is just further confirmed.

Really, BIS? If you were correct, there would be a continuing boom as those 'fundamentals' still exist. 3 years growth - up to 2006. I don't think so.

In other words, what a load of boll***s!
Attached Thumbnails Confusion over what's actually happening in housing market!!-nvrgivup.gif  
Old May 31st 2004, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

JasonFK is an unknown quantity at this point

The so called experts seem just as confused as the rest of us. However if you are planning to buy & hold till at least the next boom cycle (ie 7 to 10 years from now) then it doesn't matter whats going to happen that much as historically property doubles in value in Oz on average every 7-10 years. Same as everywhere else it all comes down to not paying too much when you buy (via due dilligence & adequate research) & if you ask me go for a house rather than an apartment as its the land that improves in value not the building.

A lot of ppl are holding back thinking prices are actually going to get cheaper, I think thats true to a small extent but on the other hand interest rates are going to rise soon & probably a number of times. (predictions up to 10% by 06-07 are fairly consistent across the board). I've discovered today that I can change from a variable to a 5 year fixed loan for the same interest rate so I'm heading of to do that this week. 7.07% for 5 years sounds nice and viable to me. So if I was planning on buying I'd forget waiting for bargains & head in to buy asap as even a .5% rise will cost you a further $25 000 over the next 5 years on a $250 000 loan.

Happy hunting!
JasonFK
Old May 31st 2004, 4:48 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MikeStanton
The Economist has been predicting a substantial downturn in the Oz housing market since mid'2003.!
Ah, but the Economist has predicted 18 of the last 5 recessions.
Old May 31st 2004, 5:36 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Ah, but the Economist has predicted 18 of the last 5 recessions.

Old May 31st 2004, 5:47 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Blim blim!
Old May 31st 2004, 9:39 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

It is confusing isnt it

I like this quote

That's it I'm not going untill the bubble busts!!!!

Wife, back to work and stop buying sunblock!!!

Bye
Mark
Old May 31st 2004, 10:50 pm
ABCDiamond

2 headlines from The Australian (found using google search on "Property Bubble Burst"

The Australian: Housing bubble has burst, says RBA [May 08, 2004]
... THE housing bubble has burst, with property prices .....
www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/ 0,5744,9502043%255E421,00.html

The Australian:
Housing bubble 'safe from bursting' [May 31, 2004]
... BIS Shrapnel has downplayed fears the housing bubble will burst
www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/ 0,5744,9699165%255E25658,00.html

Has it or hasn't it ?

Old May 31st 2004, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'll potentially have between 550 and 650 to buy a house with (all depends on where we buy).
I can't do anything for another year, but I have started monitoring certain areas we are interested in.
I can tell you that prices in all those areas (by that I mean asking prices and posted sales results) are moving in the right direction for me - downwards. This is all Sydney regionals.

Brisbane seems to me to be rising a little.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

2 headlines from The Australian (found using google search on "Property Bubble Burst"

The Australian: Housing bubble has burst, says RBA [May 08, 2004]
... THE housing bubble has burst, with property prices .....
www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/ 0,5744,9502043%255E421,00.html

The Australian:
Housing bubble 'safe from bursting' [May 31, 2004]
... BIS Shrapnel has downplayed fears the housing bubble will burst
www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/ 0,5744,9699165%255E25658,00.html

Has it or hasn't it ?
It is not the message that is important, it is who said that is important.

I believe all those who said something had their intention in saying what they needed to say. So, they can say what they want to say to make people say what they have to say and so can we.

The truth is even Alan Greenspan is as confused as everybody when it comes to economic driven by herd mentality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.