Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

confusion.... help needed for TER scores

confusion.... help needed for TER scores

Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:09 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default confusion.... help needed for TER scores

Ok i've just had my UK qualifications given an equivilant level for Australian study
they assessed it to be

An advanced diploma which is 85.00 TER score

ok now i need someone to explain the TER???

In the UK it equates to 240 points towards a Bachelor in Primary Teaching Degree (which was what i was studying before we came out here to Oz)

is the TER like the points?? IE 360 points is classed as an undergrad degree

so 85.00 TER is 3/4 of undergrad degree here in Oz??

Do hope some of this made sense, especially as i've had a few drinks too
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confusion.... help needed for TER scores

My understanding is that the TER is a Tertiary Education Rank which is like the NSW UAI or the QLD OP. It's a score that indicates your ranking compared to other school leavers in your state and is used to determine which Uni courses are open to you. More popular courses have higher rank requirements.

It's not normally got anything to do with completion or part-completion of a degree.

This link describes the WA TER and how it relates to the other states equivalents.
http://www.tisc.edu.au/tiscguide/about_ter.html

Last edited by NickyC; Jul 4th 2007 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:30 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confusion.... help needed for TER scores

Yeah, thats exactly right - Ter is Tertiary Entrance Rank.

Basically, they grade every student and work out your TER based on your rankings - so, if you got a TER of 98 (like me ) then it means you performed better than 98% of the entire student poulation that completed theior HSC studies that year!

If you get a TER of 56 - then you performed better than 56% of students etc.

Then they grade all of the university courses accordingly - so, to get onto a bachelor of medecine you probably need a TER of about 98 or above, if you want to be an engineer, you probably need a TER of about 75 to get onto a Bachelor of Engineering. Thats how they determine whether you are good enough for the course you want to do.

Make any sense....?