British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   confusion on the criteria needed for hairdressing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/confusion-criteria-needed-hairdressing-311581/)

millymog Jul 1st 2005 6:35 pm

confusion on the criteria needed for hairdressing

I went to a migration agency online to fill in an assessment. They asked me to call them. When i did he said i didnt have a chance to be able to migrate.

Im 40 now, a hairdresser but its not my main job.
In the immi.gov.au section it says you have to work 18 months 12 months proof of pay etc
the man i spoke to at this agency says you have to have 6 years and that i wouldnt have a chance getting in
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

peppi Jul 1st 2005 7:46 pm

Re: confusion on the criteria needed for hairdressing

Originally Posted by millymog
I went to a migration agency online to fill in an assessment. They asked me to call them. When i did he said i didnt have a chance to be able to migrate.

In the immi.gov.au section it says you have to work 18 months 12 months proof of pay etc
the man i spoke to at this agency says you have to have 6 years and that i wouldnt have a chance getting in

Im not an agent but I have done a little looking into this for my mate as she is training in hairdressing at the moment..At present hairdressing commands an extra 10 points as it is on the high want "list" as opposed to the ordinary want list...I believe they have bought down the amount of time you need to have been doing the trade to 4 years...full time..being the opperative point to you...this can include the 2 years of full time training I believe...So on the basis it isnt your main job this could be causing the shortfall in what you need...you say you are 40,but dont say how long you have been qualified in hairdressing...Dont quote me on this as Im not entirely sure...but i do know it has to have been full time...If you look on the thread a bit further down they are saying what you need is an NVQ level 2

alinora9 Jul 1st 2005 8:02 pm

Hi I have just got my Tra for hairdresser you need to prove that you have worked 20 hrs per week for the last 18- 12 months, this depends on visas.Are you still hairdressing, do you have apprenticship and city and guilds, references of employers,accounts.I have 6 months in the last 18 months when i was on maternity my new agents tell me this is not a problem but the last agents were hesitate.You may need to get advice from another agent, it is confusing don,t give up Tracy

68MEVY Jul 1st 2005 10:04 pm

Hi there, I'm a hairdresser so will help as much as I can.
At the time of applying to TRA for my skills to be assessed I had to of worked 12 out of the last 18 months as a qualified hairdresser for atleast 20 hours a week.
I had to provide references confirming this and pay slips.
At the time I applied I only just had enough recent work experience as I'd taken the previous year off work as I had a baby. The fact that I qualified back in 1998 didn't come into it.
At the moment hairdressers are on the MODL list so you get extra points for that.
I don't see any reason why you can't apply, and the 6 year experience thing is a load of rubbish although thinking back it could be that if you don't have enough recent work experience you have to of been qualified for 6 years.
I'll see what I can find over the weekend and let you know. In the meantime if there are any other questions feel free to ask.
If you go to the forum index page, about half way down in the professions part, there is a forum specifically for hairdressers, you might find more information on work experience in there.
Marie

Kelli28 Jul 1st 2005 10:13 pm

i think the 6/7 years experience is for those without formal qualifications and you need to prove that you have worked for 12 ot of the past 18 months for 20 or more hours a week
you may need to sharpen those scissors and go back to hairdressing for awhile good luck

floweroscotland Jul 1st 2005 10:38 pm

Hi,

Not sure on the criteria needed now as it changes all the time, your only other option is to come to Australia on a student visa and train as a hairdresser here, thats what I did, you need to do 25 hours training a week for 72 weeks (about 1 and a half years), then you can apply for PR and have loads of extra points because you trained in Australia, and you come out with a cert III in hairdressing, but if you already have experience you won't have trouble finding a job here. you do need to show to immigration you have some money to keep yourself, but you are allowed to work 20 hours a week while studying, it's always another option.

Good luck

Lisa

millymog Jul 2nd 2005 8:16 am

Hi
Thank you so much for your imput and help. That makes me feel alot better.
I have got my nvq 1&2 back in 1999 but because i had children too i couldnt go back into hairdressing (shop work) as im a single mum and had to do work to fit around school hours. Although ive kept my hand in it.

Im 40 now so even if i give it a year and go back into hairdressing i will still have time until im 45. My friend lives in Adelaide and works in a hairdressers doing people nails. Her friend that works there said she would give me a job which is a good thing.

I feel alot better now. Once again, thank you for all your help

Michelle xx