Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused on what to do??

Confused on what to do??

Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

sean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the rough
Default Confused on what to do??

Hi, I just turned 22 and am interested in moving to Australia. Im just fed up with the weather and not happy with the area I live in. Im a fully qualified electrictian but dont know weither to move to OZ now or wait till im older. Any advice by people my age who have done it? Secondly I have an uncle in Perth but I think I would prefer Brisbane, is there a major difference between the two city's? If people could give me an idea as to wait or just go for it I would appreciate it greatly.
Happy New year everyone.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused on what to do??

Originally Posted by sean.eldridge
Hi, I just turned 22 and am interested in moving to Australia. Im just fed up with the weather and not happy with the area I live in. Im a fully qualified electrictian but dont know weither to move to OZ now or wait till im older. Any advice by people my age who have done it? Secondly I have an uncle in Perth but I think I would prefer Brisbane, is there a major difference between the two city's? If people could give me an idea as to wait or just go for it I would appreciate it greatly.
Happy New year everyone.
Do you qualify?? Start at http://www.immi.gov.au
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

hi sean,
if it is really something you are thinking about doing have a look to see if you are qualified and what type of visa you would have to get, and if you can afford it. that would have to be your starting point before you get to carried away and want to go so badly that you then find out you cant get there.
i am 29 and cant go for a couple more years due to work commitments which is a pain. it sounds like you dont have any commitments so to me it sounds like the best chance to try it out and have a go, if you dont like it you can come back and have no regrets.
my sister in law has been in brisbane for a year now and she is having a ball. okay her work doesnt make it her dream but she is having so much fun the social opportunities seem so much more intersting. she manages to get to see lots of top uk bands really easy as they are unknown over there. it just seems to me more chilled and not so stressed for a young person. she is a similar age to you.
she came over at easter and got really home sick when she went back, she also visited last month and has gone back to australia thinking that if she came back to england she would get stuck in the same rut she left so is going to try and give it a better try.
anyway i hope that has helped!
sarah
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

sean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the roughsean.eldridge is a jewel in the rough

Hey thank you for the replys, yes I do qualify for a 136 visa which I have printed off the website. Sarah what area in Brisbane is your sister in law?does she find it expensive? Hopefully my work wont stop me going as long as I give a month notice.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey thank you for the replys, yes I do qualify for a 136 visa which I have printed off the website. .
136 visa doesn't exist any more (for new applicants). It's been replaced by the 175 visa.

Are you sure you are looking at the right website?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New year everyone.

Hi Sean, have you thought of coming out to oz on a working holiday?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by manc1
Hi Sean, have you thought of coming out to oz on a working holiday?
Which may not be a good idea as it could render him ineligible for a skilled migration visa.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which may not be a good idea as it could render him ineligible for a skilled migration visa.

Why is that JAJ? Are you not entitled to apply for emigration if you have previously been to oz on a working holiday.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by manc1
Why is that JAJ? Are you not entitled to apply for emigration if you have previously been to oz on a working holiday.
You are but many former working holiday visa holders don't have the necessary recent, skilled work experience.

(hint - casual/unskilled work or no work at all is typical for working holiday visa holders).
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are but many former working holiday visa holders don't have the necessary recent, skilled work experience.

(hint - casual/unskilled work or no work at all is typical for working holiday visa holders).

Okay I'm with you.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Happy New year everyone.
Having recently moved to Oz, I am a little bit older than you!, but from memory to qualify I think you will find you need a minimum of four years post apprenticeship experience.

My advice would be to look at previous threads on the subject also. I am an electrician and although I was acknowledged as one when I did my visa application, on arrival in QLD I had to be re-assessed where they decided what kind of electrician I was! After this you can then apply for a permit to work as a trainee. You then have to undergo a period of training completing a log book, working through a framework document of the Australian Wiring Rules and then sit an exam to obtain your licence. Depending on experience this could take a few months or longer. Be prepared to be on a trainee's wage whilst going through this process.

There is a chap on this site called SteveO who gave me some good advice recently.

Good luck.

Steve
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

My advice is get your back side over here now and have the time of your life.

Learn to surf, enjoy the beach life, clubs and experience something different.

You can rent a 2 bedroom flat within walking distance to the beach for approx £100.00 per week.

You can always go back if you want another stint in the UK.

Good luck Mick
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
My advice is get your back side over here now and have the time of your life.

Learn to surf, enjoy the beach life, clubs and experience something different.

You can rent a 2 bedroom flat within walking distance to the beach for approx £100.00 per week.

You can always go back if you want another stint in the UK.
The question "on what visa" remains pertinent.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New year everyone.
I would never put anybody off from going to OZ,the place has been brilliant for me.

Now I'm old the regrets are that I never pushed harder to emigrate to Canada,although friends that did emigrate there all went back to the UK.

With what seems to be a world shortage of labour both skilled and unskilled it would seem to be the ideal time to have a look at the planet. A lot of countries have agreements for working holidays for people under 30. Their web sites should give details.

A word of warning,that peculiar UK attitude that sunshine makes all problems disappear,I've been to Spain on holiday so I can handle sunshine.Trust me you want nothing to do with working in 44 degree heat or even being outside in it.

Whatever you do good luck,wish it was my turn again.

Australia is a land of opportunity if you are prepared to work,but every country is,if you are prepared to work.A lot of work for sparks out here but you will have to go through licensing requirements,sparks on the board will be able to guide you on that.

Good luck again.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Happy New year everyone.
im in the same boat as you sean, decided it was time for me to move to aus,

i am 28 single male approved electrician, the whole process of getting in has changed with vetassess doing assesments.

i have lodged my paper based assesment just waiting now,

there is a forum on here about electricians,

look out for wendy and steve o, legends i believe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.