British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   confused- please help!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/confused-please-help-120596/)

kismet Dec 5th 2002 7:26 am

confused- please help!!!!

Hi All,:)

I know there have been similiar questions before about this but i am still confused:(
We are in the process of packing up for the move and we have a very good dvd player and all the speakers (bumf) to go with it. Will it work out in Oz?? Its not converted to play any dvds just 2s and i know Oz have 4s or something. Can we get it converted out there and roughly how much will it cost???

Also we have a relatively new fridge/freezer is it wirth taking or will it not be able to cope with the heat??

Large tv will it be worth taking??

Thanks for any input on this as the packers are coming soon and we have to decide!!!!!!!!

Cheers and good luck
kismet

Stan J Dec 5th 2002 9:24 am

Forget (dump) the TV. Different audio/video separation. Moreover Ch 2,9 & 10 are broadcast on VHF rather than UHF. SBS are UHF.

Don't know if Digital TV UK gear will receive Oz Digital.

Don't know about DVDs too much BUT maybe you'll need one setting to play UK bought DVDs and another to play OZ sourced DVDs ... or the one capable of playing both ?

Sandra Dec 5th 2002 2:28 pm

TVs - great for watching UK videos through - not much else, we got the DVD 'chipped' for multi region before we came out - too late for that? bring it with you, can be done here. DVDs themselves, some play some don't - bring them. Fridge - do you have room for no extra cost, bring it, if nothing else it will be a decent beer fridge.

Do a search on the threads on this site and there is great information, we brought all our sound systems - work for me - my husband is really the one to answer this but he is in bed cause it is 2.27 am!!!

have fun packing

kismet Dec 5th 2002 3:48 pm

Thanks to you both for your replies will look into having dvd chipped. Do you know how much it isto chip them??
cheers
kismet

Sandra Dec 5th 2002 9:15 pm

We paid about 70 GBP, the UK DVD we had bought was an expensive one so we thought it was well worth the money. It now plays all the DVDs we have bought here and in the UK and US. The DVD player we bought here plays all the AUS ones and some of the UK ones depends on the disc set up apparently.

Husband said something about this being the land that lacks scarts in their stuff???? Meant nothing to me!

cheers

Ceri Dec 5th 2002 11:33 pm

Re: confused- please help!!!!

Originally posted by kismet
Hi All,:)

I know there have been similiar questions before about this but i am still confused:(
We are in the process of packing up for the move and we have a very good dvd player and all the speakers (bumf) to go with it. Will it work out in Oz?? Its not converted to play any dvds just 2s and i know Oz have 4s or something. Can we get it converted out there and roughly how much will it cost???

Also we have a relatively new fridge/freezer is it wirth taking or will it not be able to cope with the heat??

Large tv will it be worth taking??

Thanks for any input on this as the packers are coming soon and we have to decide!!!!!!!!

Cheers and good luck
kismet

Hi,
if it were me, I'd leave the DVD.
You can buy multi regions as low as $159 here (what's that about 75 pounds)

I'm on my third one now, the one I have now cost me 400 and something, I sold the last one as I wanted a smaller unit.

But they are very cheap here.. the model you can buy here for $159.. plays all regions, and will play vcd's, svcd's etc too.

If you want to hack the machine you've got now.. My brother in the UK hacked his and his friends from region 2 to multi.

There are web sites out there dedicated to hacking dvd players.. lots of listings for most models of dvd's. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money paying someone else to do it.

Here is one below, just to give you an idea. (I just put in dvd hacks in the ninesmen search - this was on the first page on the list). but if you do your own search, and even put in Hackz, Hakz.. just mess about with the hack word.. you'll come across loads of sites, and forums about it too.

Pay Money..... do it yourself:) (I'm tight!)

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayershack.php

Hope this helps

Chris000 Dec 6th 2002 9:35 am

Hi

We were told not to bring TV or video, but we did anyway, the TV will work just fine if you route it through an Aussie video, and what you need to ask is how much you would get if you sold them....not very much so you might as well bring them and see what happens.

We were also told that video tapes wouldnt play in an Aussie machine, but again not true. we bought a cheap video player and our british tapes work just fine.

Chris.

peewee13 Dec 6th 2002 1:51 pm

videos are fine, tv through an aussie vcr fine, most dvd players can be hacked to play multi region. Mine, a TEAC, was just a matter of opening the tray, as when you load a disc and pressing a 4 digit code on the remote. Peice of piss, as the quaint locals are wont to exclaim.