Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused Electrician, Can anyone help?

Confused Electrician, Can anyone help?

Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

lpoliver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused Electrician, Can anyone help?

Folks,

I have been though the TRA process and have been recognised as an "Electrician Special Class", I have the Skilled migration visa, first entry completed (That seems to have been the easy bit!!). My experiance is in Industrial maintenance, PLC's, VSD's, HMI's and all the electrical faultfinding, installion, modification, ect which goes with the job.

Can anyone anwser any of the following questions, as it all seems a bit confusing looking in from the UK.

1. Is the TRA assesment the "Australian Recognised Trade Certificate" I require, or do I have to complete another process to gain this?

2. Which type of licence do I need to work in this field?

3. How long will it take to get the correct licence?

4. Do I have to do the AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules
course and exam. If so can I do it distance learning or is in only completed in Australia?

5. Does it really take 10 months to attain in Queensland, if so is it worth a 6 week stay in Adalaide?

6. Is there anything else I need to do?

I'm sure you have been asked these questions before, but it all seems a little long winded, and confusing.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Lee Oliver
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Confused Electrician, Can anyone help?

Everything you need right here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491978

Buzzy
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Confused Electrician, Can anyone help?

Originally Posted by lpoliver
Folks,

I have been though the TRA process and have been recognised as an "Electrician Special Class", I have the Skilled migration visa, first entry completed (That seems to have been the easy bit!!). My experiance is in Industrial maintenance, PLC's, VSD's, HMI's and all the electrical faultfinding, installion, modification, ect which goes with the job.

Can anyone anwser any of the following questions, as it all seems a bit confusing looking in from the UK.

1. Is the TRA assesment the "Australian Recognised Trade Certificate" I require, or do I have to complete another process to gain this?

course and exam. If so can I do it distance learning or is in only completed in Australia?

5. Does it really take 10 months to attain in Queensland, if so is it worth a 6 week stay in Adalaide?

I'm sure you have been asked these questions before, but it all seems a little long winded, and confusing.

Regards

Lee Oliver
Thanks for that Buzzy bee, Can you tell me if I can get work in this job while I am waiting to obtain the licence?

Lee Oliver
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:46 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

As buzzy says check out that link it has all you will need but hope this helps for now

Folks,

No you also need a ARTC cert and they will grade you as they see fit, can be done from England if you have a addy in OZ to get stuff posted to.

Sounds like Special class IMO

In theroy 4-5 weeks after landing in OZ if you get it all timed right

Can be done via PEER in england, they send you out all the stuff you need to complete the course and workbooks etc etc just book and sit the exam in Adalaide once you land and get a SA electrical Licence and this way you can work in any state under the mutual recognition law introduced recently

Dont need 6 week just do the course via the above and 3 days when you arrive to sit exam and get licence from local town hall in CBD

YES win the lotto as there aint much work over ther at the minute :curse:

Regards

Lee Oliver
HTH

Regards

Dougie
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
As buzzy says check out that link it has all you will need but hope this helps for now

HTH

Regards

Dougie
Thanks for that, seems that winning the lottery is better odds than getting a licence!!!!

I can't find information on Special class IMO, can anyone enlighten me?

Also how is it looking for manufacturing jobs at the moment?

Regards

Lee Oliver
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, seems that winning the lottery is better odds than getting a licence!!!!

I can't find information on Special class IMO, can anyone enlighten me?

Also how is it looking for manufacturing jobs at the moment?

Regards

Lee Oliver
there isnt an electrican special class licence mate that "title" is for migration purposes only,

as you`ve come the tra route you will have to go back to the tra and apply for a artc ( the tra assessment is only for migration purposes the artc is required for licencing before you say it yes its a load of bull but see past that and get it sorted ) link to artc

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

when your applying put down the date you vaidated and a mates or rellies au address as they wont send the artc cert overseas )

now if your heading to qld you`d be best applying for an electical mechanics licence, see link below
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...nces/index.htm
the quickest way of doing this armed with your artc is as others have said via peer.com.au

good luck

regards steve

ps loads of good info here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:18 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you dont mind me butting in here i'm a refrigeration mechanic just looking into applying for my ARTC, been looking through the application, do i need to be as in depth in this application with what i do in my job even though TRA have already assessed me?

thanks

Jon
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:23 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Hope you dont mind me butting in here i'm a refrigeration mechanic just looking into applying for my ARTC, been looking through the application, do i need to be as in depth in this application with what i do in my job even though TRA have already assessed me?

thanks

Jon
I may be wrong but depending on how in depth your TRA is dependent on what differewnt things you submit to the ARTC

Because i belive the assessors of the ARTC are actually clued up on the subject / trade and not a numpty with a checklist ! I made my TRA application (hopefully) both easy to read for the numptys and quite in-depth also if you wanted to read into it for this very reason.

HTH

Dougie
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:28 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
I may be wrong but depending on how in depth your TRA is dependent on what differewnt things you submit to the ARTC

Because i belive the assessors of the ARTC are actually clued up on the subject / trade and not a numpty with a checklist ! I made my TRA application (hopefully) both easy to read for the numptys and quite in-depth also if you wanted to read into it for this very reason.

HTH

Dougie
Thanks for the reply, my original app was quite indepth but i suppose to cover all bases i'll do another war and peace novel to send them i did email TRA asking the same question but got a very generic non descript answer