Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused Australian

Confused Australian

Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:32 am
heraldic

Default Confused Australian

One thing that fascinates me about this forum-is all the assumptions here that life in Australia is so much easier than the UK and will solve everyones problems.
Having lived in both places for extended periods I'm not sure Australia is easier.
I suspect England is a bit easier and many of these people are running away from problems that don't have much to do with England.
One thing that strikes me about England is that if you earn OK money-you can live in a Green area-send your kids to nice local school. health system is good-people in pleasant areas are very polite-far more so than in Oz-in fact the English countryside appears a more relaxed place than many parts of Oz.
heaps of choice. lots of work around.

Some things that might take you by suprise in Oz

1.You might find that you are faced with a choice to either live in a rough area in the middle of nowhere or a really pricey gentrified area
2.if you choose the rough area, you will be forced to put your kids in private school-an expense
3.Quality of houses is often very poor
4.Australians tend to fire people far more readily than the English
5.The english tend to tell you the truth and stick by their word-Australians like to lead people on-"Yeh I'll call about that job".

one of the great things about England is you can live outside a city and not be in the middle-of-nowhere-and be part of a respectable community.In Oz its in the city or amongst rednecks. I suspect many here dont appreciate this aspect of England-some might after living in Oz for a while.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:38 am
heraldic

Default Re: Confused Australian

....and bills have a real way of piling up in Oz. You might be amazed how many people will try to seperate you from your money-its a small market.
Many people don't realise that despite australias "relaxed" image-it has an economically agressive side-and Austrlaians can be very, very materialistic-and lets face it-a wee bit crooked.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:48 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Here you are:

Australia is Crap
Old Dec 19th 2004, 10:31 am
heraldic

funny site-thanks

Old Dec 19th 2004, 10:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Here you are:

Australia is Crap
Have just fallen off chair laughing!! I needed something like this after the day i've had. Thanks for the link Quinkana
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:11 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have just fallen off chair laughing!! I needed something like this after the day i've had. Thanks for the link Quinkana
Don't forget Tha Bladdy Forum - EatStatic's sort of pub.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Here you are:

Australia is Crap
Brilliant!!!
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

I particulary like this thread, a good balance to Wombat42's inane thread about the UK abeing a third world sporting nation.

Who cares Australia? Get over yourselves, grow up and show the world you can do something else with your lives.

Sport sport sport

http://p209.ezboard.com/fthabladdyoz...picID=62.topic
Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:52 pm
heraldic

Thanks-I Found this website the other day and it confirmed what I suspected about many of the 30 000 Brits that go to Oz every year.

1.Many people wanting to go there are chasing a non-existant fantasy

2.Australia might not benifit from their immigrating there

3.Many of these people are severely deluded about the UK.

I lived in Oz for forty-five years as a succesful person. I am as Aussie in terms
of ancestry as any non-Aboriginal (I didnt qualify for any english ancestry type visa-but did meet a lovely English lady) I have lived in the UK for five years.
Australia has many many positive points-and I am sure I will go back to live-but I think England is...Easier(shock). I think Australia is...more rough and tumble.Opportunties abound in the UK - these people think it will all come together in Oz. they should look at their lives.
they go on about ethnics-yet there are more in Oz-and in Oz they have good jobs and may be your boss! and they live in every suburb! The extent to which managment is the UK is Anglo is suprising-In Oz a co director can be of any background-and in England you can isolate yourself from your dreaded ethnics far more.
And many aussies dislike thje English.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 3:10 pm
heraldic

Remember that Australia regard its national hero to be a irish-nationalist english-hating murderer and robber.
And family values isnt its strong point.Your daughter is more likely to be knocked up at fourteen than take any not-till-marraige vows.Yet these people come for the kids.
Oz is barely a Christian country (although American-style evangelism is making serious inroads).
These people come to relax-yet most English you meet in Oz are always tense and bothered-why? Maybe their pipe dream tubing?

Old Dec 19th 2004, 3:13 pm
heraldic

I seriously suggest people watch a film called "puberty Blues" before coming-its an oldie-its about growing up in Oz. It doesnt bring back fond memories in all that watch it.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 3:13 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by heraldic
Thanks-I Found this website the other day and it confirmed what I suspected about many of the 30 000 Brits that go to Oz every year.

I lived in Oz for forty-five years as a succesful person. I am as Aussie in terms
of ancestry as any non-Aboriginal (I didnt qualify for any english ancestry type visa-but did meet a lovely English lady) I have lived in the UK for five years.
Australia has many many positive points-and I am sure I will go back to live-but I think England is...Easier(shock). I think Australia is...more rough and tumble.Opportunties abound in the UK - these people think it will all come together in Oz. they should look at their lives.
they go on about ethnics-yet there are more in Oz-and in Oz they have good jobs and may be your boss! and they live in every suburb! The extent to which managment is the UK is Anglo is suprising-In Oz a co director can be of any background-and in England you can isolate yourself from your dreaded ethnics far more.
I think what needs to be remembered here is that not everyone is moving to Australia for an escape, it is for many reasons, to name a few, to see what it is like living in a different country, for a job, for love etc etc.

I personally have moved to Australia because my husband, who I met and have been living with in the Uk for the last 4 yrs is from here, we had a better chance of having a chiled life where he is from so went for that rather than working to pay the rent adn getting no where as we were in England, unfotunately you slagged off the place where I am from (Crawley incase you forgot) in your very 1st post on this forum in the same paragraph as saying how wrong it is for the English to whinge about Australia., big time pot kettle and black spring to mind.

You have some good points and it is good for people who are intending to move here to get the full picture especialy from people who have lived here but please dont get all high and mighty and slag off the very people who have from what what you say about your life in England made you welcome in their and your home country.

Kala
Old Dec 19th 2004, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heraldic

Heraldic, I agree with everything your have wriiten in this quote. I myself cannot understand why BNP type poms are fleeing to OZ. When I was in Sydney I worked with Chinese, Vietnamese, Kenyan, Mauri, Irish, Pakistani, Portugese, Czech, Russian, the list was endless. To be intolent would not be an option (If you valued your life!) I honestly do not know where poms get the idea that OZ is a "white" country, many seem to think it will be like the UK of the 1950's.

The oppurtunities for work and education are indeed limited in OZ compared to the UK. Teenage mums abound as well as the proliferation of speed and dope amoungst the bored teenagers. Why do poms think they are doing their kids a favour by uprooting them there? My guess would be too much reading crap like the Daily Mail, which paints Britain as a dump and any other Western country a paradise in comparison.

I am married to an Aussie lass and she cannot believe the naive poms when they talk about crime, drugs, dole scrungers, taxes as they ALL exist in OZ too, sometimes worse than Britain.

Good luck with trying to educate this lot, I fear your time will be wasted though. You have already been branded a troll, funny that anyone who doesnt believe OZ is an all singing and dancing Utopia is marginalised in such a way.

Keep on posting anyway, its good to have some life back into this (recently) dead forum.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 5:14 pm
heraldic

most people are conditioned in childhood to be prejudiced.If you want to live in Sydney or Melbourne you would surely need to supress this. So much of the money is ethnic - probably more so than any other cities in the english-speaking world. In the UK Ethnics tend to be of the poor variety and "know their place". In fact much of Sydney is divided into ethnic communities- many with a risque gagsterish tint- many of them not that willing to play second fiddle to skips.Hardly BNP paradise.
Sydney Also has one of the worlds Best Sex Industries-All Legal!-Many female Englsih immigrants and backpackers end up spending their days in "rub and tugs" relieving Chinese businessmen of their stress-hardly BNP utopia.
And as for Taxes the ATO is as ruthless a government office as you will find in a western country.
UK in the 50's-not exactly.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 5:21 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

What on earth is your motivation to post on this site?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.