Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused....advice please!

Confused....advice please!

Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Talking Confused....advice please!

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of advice, we've got our 175 visa and initially were headed to Melbourne. We have never been but I think I could settle in there better it seems more like home with the climate etc and I'm not into the heat too much. But we know people in Perth who we would stay with initially if we went there and we've been before, but to be honest the place didn't blow me away bit too quiet and boring for me. We're a young family so it's not the nightlife we're after but to see someone after the sun goes down would be nice!

Hubby thinks we should go to Perth, we could find our feet easier and having somewhere to stay with friends while we found a rental would ease the process and they could tell us what we need to sort out when we get there but I'm just not convinced. The only thing I know is I'd hate to land in Melbourne and be driving round like headless chickens! we're not going to have that much money and don't want to spend it all trying to find our feet!

Any advice would be great!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

robchers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused....advice please!

Hi guys
congrats on visa!!
My advice, for what it's worth(!!) ...

I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, although i don't live there now, I love, love, love Melbourne. I found it to be the Ozzie city with the mildest climate and the most European influence (rather than US - hope that didn't offend anyone) There are many 'family friendly' suburbs where you can enjoy a bit of peace and quiet away from the city.

Having said all that Perth totally rocks too. I have family and friends there some with kids, and they all enjoy living there. I think the climate can be a bit more harsh in Summer months, but - some like it hot!!

One thing I would say is that when making the big move it certainly does help having friends and/or family around you.

Lots to consider, i hope whatever decision you make it's the right one for you guys.

Good Luck!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Spoke to my friend in Melbourne today, it was 37 degrees, not exactly mild but who cares, anything is better than here.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I think I would choose a city based on where you want to go, and not where you might get a little help for a few weeks. After that first few weeks is up you will be there permanently (so to speak). So I wouldn't just go where people can help you.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Might go to Adelaide, since it's in between!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Hi

I'm looking for a bit of advice, we've got our 175 visa and initially were headed to Melbourne. We have never been but I think I could settle in there better it seems more like home with the climate etc and I'm not into the heat too much. But we know people in Perth who we would stay with initially if we went there and we've been before, but to be honest the place didn't blow me away bit too quiet and boring for me. We're a young family so it's not the nightlife we're after but to see someone after the sun goes down would be nice!

Hubby thinks we should go to Perth, we could find our feet easier and having somewhere to stay with friends while we found a rental would ease the process and they could tell us what we need to sort out when we get there but I'm just not convinced. The only thing I know is I'd hate to land in Melbourne and be driving round like headless chickens! we're not going to have that much money and don't want to spend it all trying to find our feet!

Any advice would be great!
I think Perth is great if you have kids [after all I live here]. If not then I would live somewhere else.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I think Perth is great if you have kids [after all I live here]. If not then I would live somewhere else.
Where abouts in Perth do you live?