Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused about tax on income and Savings

Confused about tax on income and Savings

Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:43 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about tax on income and Savings

I've read quite a few threads on here in respect of tax, capital gains tax and pensions and i'm still confused

Am i right in thinking that if you pay CGT in the UK before you arrive in OZ you don't have to pay it again because, after paying CGT and tax in the UK, this money isn't classed as income, rather as savings and is therefore exempt?

Also, from what i've read it would seem that tax is only paid on any gain after you become a tax resident in Oz, therefore, am i right in thinking that if you transfer your hard earned money and savings before you become a tax resident, you won't have to pay tax on it?

Or have i got it completely wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Townley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant future
Default Re: Confused about tax on income and Savings

Just posting a quick one as I would like to know the answer to this too... I'll be damned if I have to pay tax 2x over.. ive been saving bloody hard for the past few years!

Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Townley
Just posting a quick one as I would like to know the answer to this too... I'll be damned if I have to pay tax 2x over.. ive been saving bloody hard for the past few years!

As far as I know you don't pay tax twice. We sold our house, transferred it to Oz, didn't pay any tax and I think you have 12mths grace to transfer everything before you are taxed, not quite sure on that as I can't really remember. I do know that you don't pay GST (tax) on the first property you buy, and also you can claim first homeowners grant ($7000 in NSW) if you have never owned a property in Oz.
Somebody will be along shortly that will know 100%

Lol xx
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:40 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
As far as I know you don't pay tax twice. We sold our house, transferred it to Oz, didn't pay any tax and I think you have 12mths grace to transfer everything before you are taxed, not quite sure on that as I can't really remember. I do know that you don't pay GST (tax) on the first property you buy, and also you can claim first homeowners grant ($7000 in NSW) if you have never owned a property in Oz.
Somebody will be along shortly that will know 100%

Lol xx

Thanks for the reply. When you first arrived in Oz, did you have to contact the Australian tax office and complete a tax form stating it was all savings/equity or is this done when you complete your first tax return?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1967
Thanks for the reply. When you first arrived in Oz, did you have to contact the Australian tax office and complete a tax form stating it was all savings/equity or is this done when you complete your first tax return?
Just done our first tax return,, the interest you make on your savings is classed as income so you get taxed on that, we never contacted anyone, the bank just advised us to put our money in a high earning account, we wern't told to contact the tax office, so didn't, went to an accountant today and nothing said. If you wanna talk figures or more detail just pm me.

Lol xx