Reload this Page >

confused about Hobart

confused about Hobart

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

smith1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default confused about Hobart

Hello everyone.

I've got a job in Perth as a nurse and at present going through the visa process. However I've got a chance to apply for another job in hobart tasmania which has a relocation package which would make moving to australia that much easier.

But am unsure what hobart and tasmania is like as a place to live and raise children? Is there anyone out there who could give me their opinion on hobart and tasmania I would be glad of any extra information.

yours confused
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: confused about Hobart

I was there a few years ago and they have some magnificant houses. I will be honest (and yes people are free to have a go) and say I would live there with with kids if I had the money to live in a "nicer" area of Hobart as it is very small and there are some areas that felt a bit claustophobic and not much happening.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smith1972
Hello everyone.

I've got a job in Perth as a nurse and at present going through the visa process. However I've got a chance to apply for another job in hobart tasmania which has a relocation package which would make moving to australia that much easier.

But am unsure what hobart and tasmania is like as a place to live and raise children? Is there anyone out there who could give me their opinion on hobart and tasmania I would be glad of any extra information.

yours confused
Its a beautiful island and a lovely city, but it is small, and isolated.
Long thread here about Tassie for views from people living there now
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

LouAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hobart is a great place for families. Summers are normally ~25 degrees during the day and winters around 10-15 in the day. Fairly even maritime temperature but it does get 4 seasons in a day.

Lots of Tasmanians leave when they're 18-22 y.o. then return when they start a family - so very family orientated place. They normally leave just to see the world or for job oppurtinities as it can be difficult to land a professional job in Hobart (congrats on lining one up!).

Its not a big city like Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane but it does have all the facilities and a great location at the foot of Mt Wellington. Perth and Hobart are very different - depends want climate, city size, if location to other aus cities matters as to which city to pick.

I should clarify... I grew up in Hobart and have family still there (I always love visiting). But I do also love Perth - just different types of palce. If you decide to move to Hobart and need info on suburbs to live or anything else just send me a message.
Good luck!!!!