Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Condition of goods shipped across

Condition of goods shipped across

Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Ronan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really niceRonan & LJ is just really nice
Default Condition of goods shipped across

Tried a basic search for this topic, but didn't see anything so sorry if it's been covered in detail before......

We are trying to figure out what to take with us in hand luggage, what in the hold, and what to leave for the containers.

Does anyone have any comments/advice on what to leave for the containers? As long as the packers do a decent job, I take it clothes, books, photographs etc fair okay?. We are worried about dampness/mould etc

Plan is to take all legal docs etc, along with sentimental cannot be replaced items in hand luggage. I'm taking a couple suits, pair of jeans and a couple t-shirts for the hold, wife is wanting to take all her good gear, Jimmy Choos etc in the hold, as well as jewellry in hand luggage

Thoughts/experiences?

Ta
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Condition of goods shipped across

I put a packet of those crystal thinks in each box of photos etc....they all seem to have arrived OK. We used those vacuum bags to reduce the size of the clothes, duvets and pillows and everything survived that OK....if a little creased....
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:01 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are just unpacking all our stuff now... it was packed 1 year ago and stayed in storage for most of that time and arrived on Friday, virtually a year to the day!

I too was worried about mould but the only thing that seem to get mouldy was the ironing board cover (??) everything else was fine.. our container was air/water tight and we used the crystal sachets referred to before in every box and a couple in boxes that we thought were important..

Our clothes were fine, even smelt faintly of my old fabric conditioner!!

Had hardly any breakages despite us packing it really badly (customs said that it was one of the worst packed containers they'd ever seen, and with the least breakages they'd ever seen! )

I ummed and arred about my personal stuff... I even considered shipping across my special boxes separately, but after a lot of discussion with OH, and because the container was all ours (not shared) I decided the safest way was probably in the container with everything else..

I did, however, bring a couple of very special bits in my hand luggage.. only silly sentimental bits, but stuff I didnt want lost..

I think, unless you are really really unlucky, you'll be fine putting most things into your shipping container..

Em x

PS We took everything we possibly could... I am now so glad that we did... its lovely to have all our own things here and replacing stuff over here takes time and money, so my advice would be to take everything.. the whole shabangle!

Last edited by emelems; Nov 30th 2008 at 12:02 am. Reason: added the PS
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Container took everything bar a few changes of clothes, immediate paperwork and jewellery. They packed everything, we used nothing, no vacuum bags, no silica gel packs, nothing. Everything turned up in perfect nick. Obviously there will always be one or two people who have a nightmare with damaged goods but they are definitely in a tiny minority compared to the number of container movements around the world at any given time.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:42 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronan & LJ
Tried a basic search for this topic, but didn't see anything so sorry if it's been covered in detail before......

We are trying to figure out what to take with us in hand luggage, what in the hold, and what to leave for the containers.

Does anyone have any comments/advice on what to leave for the containers? As long as the packers do a decent job, I take it clothes, books, photographs etc fair okay?. We are worried about dampness/mould etc

Plan is to take all legal docs etc, along with sentimental cannot be replaced items in hand luggage. I'm taking a couple suits, pair of jeans and a couple t-shirts for the hold, wife is wanting to take all her good gear, Jimmy Choos etc in the hold, as well as jewellry in hand luggage

Thoughts/experiences?

Ta

Everyone has different ideas etc, but I think you have covered the basics. As for the dampness, unless you container is open to the elements, they normally arrive ok. Just make sure all are labelled/manifested in detail and any suspect items are placed together for customs/aqis.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Em, pack as much as you can into the container. I'm regretting silly things I didn't bring like clothes hangers (hangers here are not as good quality).

It never even occurred to me to worry about dampness or whatever, so took no special precautions there.

We had only one breakage, a jade elephant which had the base completely cracked off into 3 bits, which made me think it was dropped by someone during customs/quarantine inspections rather than smashed in the middle of a box of other knickknacks.

Interestingly, I had packed a few arty candles, in separate boxes, and they were all warped beyond belief. I can only surmise that the container must have been exposed to very strong sun somewhere along the journey.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:19 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got zillions of coathangers now! lmao! Bought some from BigW whilst forgetting that I had about an entire box worth!

Did pack some candles too - they survived without much probs.. forgot how great it is to get all that sort of silly stuff.. even put in lightbulbs bubblewrapped and sellotaped to all my lamps!

Re the customs thing... make sure that you aren't silly and try and sneak anything in.. just really not worth it.. declare with flair I say!

Also make sure you label quite well... OH was a bit put out to have to open umpteen amount of boxes for customs that I had stupidly just labelled as "toys"... (we have a 10 and 12 year old).. Customs were quite eager to ensure that they werent outside toys... I should have been more specific as they I carefully binned all the outside stuff (wasnt worth the hassle of cleaning it all only to find that the kids prob would have grown out of or grown bored off)..

Also, watch out for your Christmas deccos.. anything remotely lifelike (pinecones etc etc) just bin it.. plastic or not.. not worth it in my opinion.. I only bought over the really plastic stuff and gave all the natural resources stuff like my crib etc to family... oh! customs made OH open all the christmas deccos boxes... unfortunately for him I had spread them out over about 10 boxes! dear o dear!

Em x
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

caulkhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Packing everything in the container ... the only thing to think about it what if the ship sinks .. don't laugh, we have been in the army, know loads of people who have done this and yes it has happened!!!! DON"T pack ANYTHING that isn't irreplaceable!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

caulkhead is an unknown quantity at this point

..I mean Replaceable!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:37 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

The company organising our container, which has been in Brisbane for about 4 weeks now telephoned to say our large shell has been taken for inspection. I wracked my brain for a while and realised they meant a large empty gun casing - of the solid brass variety that came off ship trials in the English channel. The British army usually let them go overboard when fired and finished with but my father in law managed to keep hold of one and we have been using it for several years now to keep umbrellas and fishing rods in.

It was allowed into NZ, no trouble at all but it appears Australia have a problem with it. Apparently it has been taken from our container to an army base for testing!

All of our belongings are being delivered on Friday but we may have to wait a while longer for the shell!

We have been sleeping on a queen size air bed for about 7 weeks now, so cant wait for our stuff to arrive. Just hoping we are one of those whose stuff arrives in one piece.

Its all traveled from the UK to NZ and from NZ to Aus and so far, so good.

Debbie