Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Concerned about racism

Concerned about racism

Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:24 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Concerned about racism

This is very disturbing indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/n...t_attack.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/6353409.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6088568.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6314197.stm

Just to post a few.

No racism in the UK? ...As the english would say - you're haven a larf!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

I don't think anyone has claimed there was no racism in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:23 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Your OK as long as your "race" dosn't beat them at any sport

Originally Posted by chmaiden
Hi
we have applied for our 136 visa after visiting Aus last year (drove a motor home from Sydney to Melbourne and had a great time). We are looking at moving to either Melbourne or Brissie (although may have to go to Sydney for a bit for work). However, I am Welsh and my wife has Jamaican parents - I am concerned about the levels racism that we might get.
Anyone else have any problems?
tia
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:47 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
I'll pay that.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure the OP should be worried about racist comments for being Welsh...someone has to be! (I am Welsh and no-one has ever commented apart from a Welsh colleague as my accent is no longer linked to the valleys.

H is Asian/English and has never experienced racism here although he used to get it at school in UK.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

Hi there

I am black and having lived in Australia before I have to say I have found them to be the most racially tolerant people generally (as long as you're not aboriginal). My experience is that there is definitely more racism in the UK that in Australia. We're moving to Melbourne in June and one of the reasons we like OZ is because of the racial tolerance. In the five years that I lived in Perth I only experienced what I thought was a racist attitude once, and that was from a big burly ignorant redneck and I certainly didn't think it was worth taking seriously. You will always get a few ignorant people who may have racist attitudes but that is life, just like you get some who'll make comments about larger people, thin people, poms, etc. But genrally I'd say your wife will be fine.

Sani
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:22 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Oh

Kiwi Cricket any one?

Maybe we should learn more from our kids

Everyone is a friend first too my daughter - isnt there something in that?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:13 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Ignorance is the key not necessarily intent- this the whole foundation behind racism.
You, Wikipedia and I will have to agree to disagree on this one.
How can a whole race of people be below (in any sense of the word) another race? Rhetorical question obviously it can't - the whole idea of racism is born of ignorance - it's just a matter of degree as to how ignorant you are and how offensive you are.
I agree with the first part. See my previous answer for the rest
For example, if I say that a really cute African boy is a cute little nigger, or that some pretty Caribbean girl is a "a fit wog", or that a kid in an English school "is a really brainy Paki" does this mean that because I had no intent to belittle (quite the contrary) that the term is not a racist, derogatory term?
So you're saying that if somebody uses one of those words, then they must be trying to belittle somebody? You know better than they do?

I'll re-iterate my points again (because they appear to have been missed).
* I don't agree with racist intent
* but I don't believe that when Australians use words like thos mentioned that they are intended to be racist - and more importantly they are not taken as racist by the various ethnics that have grown up here. See the comments about 'wogs' from other posters.

PS a 'wog' in Australian terms isn't a Carribean, it is an Italian or a Greek.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Interesting read:

http://www.italydownunder.com.au/issuetwo/fusillo.html
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I'll back-up wmoore's views (albeit I am white and have never been a likely target for racism in the UK ... unless you count gingerism or being-a-smart-alec-twot-ism).

I made the mistake of 'thinking UK' and coming to the conclusion that Australia was a more racist society than the UK when I first got here but I realise now that the way things are said and the language used is different.

It is difficult to hear words that were used in a degoratory way in the UK said as a matter of course but in my experience I will back-up wmoore's views that the intent is no more racist than in the UK.

If anything I find Aussies to be more up-front and honest about differences, this does not mean they are racists it just means they do not feel bound by the same 'rules' as a typical Brit. Is it worse to be up-front and say what you feel or hide behind some words and still feel the same way (e.g. the classic "I'm not a racist but...").

A case in point being the use of the word 'Spazzy' and similar ... which I find difficult to hear but I realise that I cannot pass judgement on a whole society when I have no appreciation of that word's history within that society.

Racism should be probably judged by actions, not by words whose meanings differ between countries (yup, easy for me to say having never been the subject of a racial taunt) and in my experience Aussies more inclusive than most.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried very hard not to respond to this thread but have found it too difficult to resist. NSK's post about the English being superior to the average Aussie got under my skin but didn't bite. It appears that it is mostly English posters who consider terms used in Australia are racist. May I suggest that they leave their preconceptions in England as they are now in Australia. Thankfully, there are some who "get it", namely wmoore and Deadmeat. By the way wmoore, Greeks are wogs and Italians are dagos. I was informed of this many years ago by an elderly Maltese gentleman. Apparently, in the early days the Italian immigrants were always saying, "One day, go home" which was shortened to dago!
I would suggest that the use of the terms objected to in this thread are no different to the use of the term "bastard". I was horrified at this when I first came here but soon learned that it was not necessarily a derogatary term.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Gibbo
NSK's post about the English being superior to the average Aussie got under my skin but didn't bite. It appears
That's the attitude of most poms I've come across, especially those in Sydney.

I put it down to their low self esteem, where money and status makes them feel better.

Obviously there are exceptions. Usually those from northern england are more grounded and worth having a beer with.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
So you're saying that if somebody uses one of those words, then they must be trying to belittle somebody? You know better than they do?
Not at all - I'm saying the exact opposite - that they probably had no intention of belittling them at all. They were, in their eyes, being complimentary. My point is that I would doubt that the receivers of these compliments would think that they weren't racist comments. i.e. they would think that the terms were racist and would probably feel offended.

I think that the arrogance comes from the speaker of the term - because they were "only joking" or "didn't mean anything by it" or that "she knows that I'm only kidding". How do they know whether the person is offended or not? And if the person is offended then it's because they are "overly sensitive" or "don't understand our Australian ways". I think that at times we can excuse offensive individual actions through societal "norms".

My point is that I disagree with you. It isn't necessarily about intent. In these cases the intent was to be complimentary but the receiver would not feel complimented (because of their personal experiences, perceived status, background).
I'll re-iterate my points again (because they appear to have been missed).
* I don't agree with racist intent
I never said, or I hope implied, that you did.
* but I don't believe that when Australians use words like thos mentioned that they are intended to be racist - and more importantly they are not taken as racist by the various ethnics that have grown up here. See the comments about 'wogs' from other posters.
See my comments above about intent. I'm sure that a lot of people are not offended by the terms. But I reckon a lot people - perhaps of different races to those you are thinking of - are.

PS a 'wog' in Australian terms isn't a Carribean, it is an Italian or a Greek.
I know - I was using it in the context of the British slang not the Aussie.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Since my last posting, I've read the comments from posters (Deadmeat and Gibbo) who came after me - I don't think I can battle on three fronts so I'll gamely back out of the discussion - slightly bruised.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MD09
Racism is a product of the baby boomer generation.

All of the aussies I know aged from 20 - 35 don't have a racist bone in their body. Just the way it should be.
I am a 'baby boomer'. I came to Australia in 1972 so I have lived much longer in Australia than I did in England. I am most definately not, nor have ever been, racist. I take all people for who they are...not by where they come from or what colour they are. I am from the northwest of England and I have been back visiting friends and family many times. I am a moderator on my English hometown's forum site...and we have a 'filter' which filters out any racism words yet some members get around this to get the offensive word(s) across. We do not tolerate this and the offending members are banned if they continue....just thought I'd put my two pennorth in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.