Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Concerned about BMI and Meds

Concerned about BMI and Meds

Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

debsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant future
Default Concerned about BMI and Meds

Hi Guys

I have been requested this week to go for my medicals and we have until the end of June I was expecting to get this for another 4 months we were only acknowledged on 5th April.

So I thought it would give me some time to start losing weight before the Meds I am concerned that I have now only less than a couple of months and my BMI might be a cause for concern. As anyone else had a high BMI and did it effect you getting the visa please?

Many thanks

Debs
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Concerned about BMI and Meds

Originally Posted by debsnshaun
Hi Guys

I have been requested this week to go for my medicals and we have until the end of June I was expecting to get this for another 4 months we were only acknowledged on 5th April.

So I thought it would give me some time to start losing weight before the Meds I am concerned that I have now only less than a couple of months and my BMI might be a cause for concern. As anyone else had a high BMI and did it effect you getting the visa please?

Many thanks

Debs
Hi Debs

There have been a few threads about BMIs. Think around BMI 40.0 is when things start to get a bit more difficult.

Use the search option - and enter BMI and meds and you'll find a few threads. Think Aston Man was worried about it too.

Galba
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:24 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsnshaun
Hi Guys

Many thanks

Debs
It is really a better question to ask on the immigration forum but anyway... High BMI is not an issue in itself - but they may use it to test other things like diabetes that larger people get if they have reason to suspect something (eg you tell them of fainting, high blood pressure...). Professional rugby players can be obese by the BMI scale so it is only a guide. Relax!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

BMI isnt actually a good measure. I bodybuild and am around the 90kg mark but want to get to 100. However, with a body fat of 10% thats not bad at all. However, according to the BMI scale I am near obese

A friend of mine is morbidly obese according to that scale. He came no 2 in the state bodybuilding comps and frankly I would kill to have his physique.

The question really isnt as straight forward as what your BMI is and drawing a line, but if you are carrying a heavy body fat load then the associated diseases, diabetes, heart disease, blood pressue and so on - its those that can be the issue. Even if not now, they will impact on you in later life.

Maybe use the migration experience as a motivation to loose that weight. New life and new body!!!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:23 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I had meds earlier this week, BMI 42.7 Doc said I need to get glucose and fasting lipids checked to include in their results. If these are fine then I'm not worrying too much.

It really depends on how much of your weight is fat.......
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:24 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debs

Have a look at this thread by Travelbug may put your mind at rest.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441294

hope this helps

Kaye