Computers

Old May 11th 2003, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Computers

Can anyone advice us where the best place to purchase a computer would be? We are moving to Nelson. Our computer is dated now and thought we would leave it with the parents and buy new when we get to Nz - but not having much luck finding computer/eletrical sores. Does any one have any advice ?

Thanks Tori
Old May 11th 2003, 5:59 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Tori, can't help with your query but was just wondering....... are electrical sores covered by medicare?

Steph
Old May 11th 2003, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply and your be pleased to know they are healing up quickly!!
Tori
Ps I used to live in Poole!
Old May 11th 2003, 7:38 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

are electrical sores covered by medicare?
Old May 11th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok ok but can any one help???

with electrical stores for computers that is

not medicare and electrical sores!!!!

Tori
Old May 11th 2003, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

My advice would be to buy a new computer in the UK. This would be cheaper than NZ, and you may be able to claim the VAT back. NZ is more expensive for white goods and computers.

I'm buying a Laptop prior to going so I will access to the web etc immediately, rather than waiting 12 weeks for the desktop to come. You can always plug the laptop into a big screen, printer, scanner etc. The newer Laptops are desk top replacements and very powerful. Yes more expensive. My recoommended would be a Multivision 2.8GHz, 512Mb Ram, 60GB for £999 + VAT.

Have you been to Nelson? It is really nice, if not a touch remote and expensive. I was offered a job in the hospital but they wanted me to start in 6 weeks.
Roger
Old May 11th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Roger
My advice would be to buy a new computer in the UK.
Just a word of warning on this.... I bought a Laptop from the UK to NZ, and I am having the most difficult time trying to get a spare part. Currently I have been waiting 3 weeks since they took my money, and today I find that they are claiming that they haven't got any record of the money being taken!

I won't give their name, but it starts with a D, and rhymes with hell!!

You might want to check: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront

I'm afraid I haven't got any experience with them as far as PCs are concerned, but at least you should get some sort of idea of prices.

Hope that helps?!?

Nicola.
Old May 11th 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Computers

Originally posted by TIZUS
Can anyone advice us where the best place to purchase a computer would be? We are moving to Nelson. Our computer is dated now and thought we would leave it with the parents and buy new when we get to Nz - but not having much luck finding computer/eletrical sores. Does any one have any advice ?

Thanks Tori
I used to work for a company called ULTRA, they are based in Auckland but have agents around the country. They assemble computer computers themselves and they are one of the better clone companies. I bought one of their computer before moving to Oz 3 years ago and it's still going strong.

I also worked for IPEX and would not recommend them.

A lot of people prefer buying Branded PC's, Dell, Compaq, HP, etc but the big disadvantage of that for a home computer (For an office environment this dosn't apply) is that most of these big manufactures design the case so only their motherboards will fit, and so when you want to upgrade you have to go back to the same manufacturer, and they can charge an arm and a leg.

Clone manufacturers use standard components and it's very easy to upgrade.