British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   computer illiterate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/computer-illiterate-279505/)

stressfree Jan 23rd 2005 9:09 pm

computer illiterate

Surly when you change your real address you can maintain your virtual address? That is keep your email address and favourites list.
The reason I ask is that last summer I changed my computer but not my abode, phone line or anything else. But I could`nt seem to pick up where I left off and had to start from scratch again with a new email address.
Cheers, stressfree.

bondipom Jan 23rd 2005 9:15 pm

Re: computer illiterate

Originally Posted by stressfree
Surly when you change your real address you can maintain your virtual address? That is keep your email address and favourites list.
The reason I ask is that last summer I changed my computer but not my abode, phone line or anything else. But I could`nt seem to pick up where I left off and had to start from scratch again with a new email address.

Cheers, stressfree.

If you buy your own domain name (the bit after the @ in an email address) then yes you can keep your own e-mail forever. If you have an e-mail address from your ISP and move within the same country then you just change physical address with your ISP. If you change countries then you will have to change e-mail address unless you have your own domain.

I use www.freeparking.co.uk and re-direct my e-mail address to whatever my current ISP is. I can tell my ISP where to go if their service is poor.

stressfree Jan 23rd 2005 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you buy your own domain name (the bit after the @ in an email address) then yes you can keep your own e-mail forever. If you have an e-mail address from your ISP and move within the same country then you just change physical address with your ISP. If you change countries then you will have to change e-mail address unless you have your own domain.

I use www.freeparking.co.uk and re-direct my e-mail address to whatever my current ISP is. I can tell my ISP where to go if their service is poor.

Thanks bondipom, I might try that freeparking site. Cheers stressfree.

Bob Jan 23rd 2005 10:39 pm

Also, you can use web based email such as excite, yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc, and either use those as your email, or have them as forwarding emails to forward your emails onwards. There's also bigfoot, but I don't know if they do free email forwarding anymore.

scutterUK Jan 24th 2005 6:43 am

hi there.

Just expanding on what BP said, i have my own domain hosted with 1and1.co.uk. and i'm still using them for my email even now i'm in aus. it cost me 9 GPB for the year and i think now that even includes a free domain name (but don't quote me on it).

i just thought i'd mention it as a lot of people seem to be put off about having their own domain. they think it's expensive or difficult to use but it's not! it's a doddle and extremely cheap now.

i've had the domain for a few years now and haven't used an ISP email service since. It really is the best way to go.

Leigh

Bob Jan 24th 2005 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by scutterUK

i've had the domain for a few years now and haven't used an ISP email service since. It really is the best way to go.

Aye, that's true, especially if you go for a cheap domain, mine's .me.uk and that's about £30 a year, but then I also have a bit of web hosting included to...

bondipom Jan 24th 2005 7:50 pm

the .co.uk costs me 15 for 2 years but there cannot be many left.

Anyone know of an equivalent Aussie service?

pompeywill Jan 24th 2005 10:04 pm

I use Netscape webmail as its free and I can use it anywhere in the world, they have also just upped their storage capacity to 250mb, thats a lot of emails (it used to be only 5mb).
Incedently I stopped using NTL 2 yrs ago when I switched from cable to ADSL, but my NTL email account is still active.

For people that dont know too much about PC's the webmail accounts are real easy as you dont have to set anything up, just log onto their website ie www.netscape.com and click on 'mail'. Then just put in your user name and password.

Dont want to teach your granny to suck eggs but some people really dont know how easy it is to set up an email account.

bondipom Jan 24th 2005 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by pompeywill
I use Netscape webmail as its free and I can use it anywhere in the world, they have also just upped their storage capacity to 250mb, thats a lot of emails (it used to be only 5mb).
Incedently I stopped using NTL 2 yrs ago when I switched from cable to ADSL, but my NTL email account is still active.

For people that dont know too much about PC's the webmail accounts are real easy as you dont have to set anything up, just log onto their website ie www.netscape.com and click on 'mail'. Then just put in your user name and password.

Dont want to teach your granny to suck eggs but some people really dont know how easy it is to set up an email account.

The problem with free webmail is there are an increasing number of companies that refuse to accept e-mail from them. They are also susceptible to spam. I prefer the control I have with my own domain name.

pompeywill Feb 2nd 2005 10:28 pm

The problem with free webmail is there are an increasing number of companies that refuse to accept e-mail from them. They are also susceptible to spam. I prefer the control I have with my own domain name.

Sorry to bump this one back up but I only just noticed it..

I've never had a problem with free webmail address's not being accepted Bondipom, also I get no spam at all, zilch in fact. Had the same email for over 2yrs.
can you give an example?

gedge Feb 2nd 2005 10:39 pm

I've never had a problem with free webmail address's not being accepted Bondipom, also I get no spam at all, zilch in fact. Had the same email for over 2yrs.
can you give an example?

I have had my hotmail account refused some years ago when registering to use a knowledge base of an systems provider, it may have been "Progress" or "Sterling Commerce". They did allow you to change it afterwards. I believe I may have used some other 'less known' account like fastmail - they probably had a list of well known domains that they refused.
I do get too much spam in hotmail but none in any others.

Bob Feb 2nd 2005 11:04 pm

can you give an example?

There are plenty that don't accept hotmail at least, mainly because of the spamming...a few newspaper sites, plenty of torrent sites and a few forums.....and problem with webmail, not all allow free pop access, for free at least....

bondipom Feb 3rd 2005 12:00 am

can you give an example?

www.auspcmarket.com.au is the first that comes to mind. Hotmail is the main culprit but there are several sites I have signed up for that require a non free e-mail address.

There are several that have gone bust some back and ditched user e-mail. Hotmail requires you to sign in every so often otherwise you lose the account and your e-mail. I no longer use them.

Bob Feb 3rd 2005 12:40 am

There are several that have gone bust some back and ditched user e-mail. Hotmail requires you to sign in every so often otherwise you lose the account and your e-mail. I no longer use them.

yeah, annoying that, unless you pay lots of money for it...though I've got a trillian plugin that logs into email like yahoo, gmail, hotmail to keep them active...as I hardly get any email in 'em except spam :D

wargod Feb 3rd 2005 7:32 am

Tis time to be introduced to Gmail - spam free, no popups, advertising etc,etc etc.. !! And something like 1 terabyte of storage :eek: