Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A complicated thought i know

A complicated thought i know

Old Apr 14th 2007, 5:50 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough
Default A complicated thought i know

The outlaws are thinking of moving out to OZ in the future, i do not know the in's and out's but at the moment it is just a pipe dream i think, well hope>

Anyway, has anyone come across this type of scenario.

1) You sell your house in the UK.

2) You bank the house sale money in a UK high interest paying building Society Account.

3) The interest is transferred to your current account in the UK on an end of monthly basis, like a salary is.

4) You draw on the monthly paid interest when you are in Australia, so to pay your rent and some of your monthly living costs etc.

I am asking because it is something i have discussed with them, as they are not comfortable with converting it all into OZ dollars until they were very sure they will never return back to the UK, a couple of years.

My question is.

1) If they paid 20% tax on the interest accrued at source in the UK building society account, would they have to pay tax on the interest again in OZ.

2) If they instructed the building society to pay the interest at Gross in the UK, then pay tax on it in OZ, is this allowed, and is it efficient.

3) Is this a viable scenario for a couple of years, and what is the best tax efficient method to use?

Thanks for any replies, its quite an interesting thought i know, but i cannot seem to find this question being asked before on here.

Last edited by Nursebank; Apr 14th 2007 at 5:52 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:46 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A complicated thought i know

Originally Posted by Nursebank
The outlaws are thinking of moving out to OZ in the future, i do not know the in's and out's but at the moment it is just a pipe dream i think, well hope>

Anyway, has anyone come across this type of scenario.

1) You sell your house in the UK.

2) You bank the house sale money in a UK high interest paying building Society Account.

3) The interest is transferred to your current account in the UK on an end of monthly basis, like a salary is.

4) You draw on the monthly paid interest when you are in Australia, so to pay your rent and some of your monthly living costs etc.

I am asking because it is something i have discussed with them, as they are not comfortable with converting it all into OZ dollars until they were very sure they will never return back to the UK, a couple of years.

My question is.

1) If they paid 20% tax on the interest accrued at source in the UK building society account, would they have to pay tax on the interest again in OZ.

2) If they instructed the building society to pay the interest at Gross in the UK, then pay tax on it in OZ, is this allowed, and is it efficient.

3) Is this a viable scenario for a couple of years, and what is the best tax efficient method to use?

Thanks for any replies, its quite an interesting thought i know, but i cannot seem to find this question being asked before on here.
dont know bugger all about the tax inmplications bit but
as a source of income it will rise and fall with value of the dollar/pound each month plus the costs for exchanging it will make budgeting difficult as you wont know how much you have to spend each month
( and it does varie considerabley )
secondly as the rates higher here your intrest payment would be better
ie 6.2 to 6.6% on high intrest accounts is commonplace

worth looking into i`d say

regards
steve