Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Complete change of plan!!

Complete change of plan!!

Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future
Default Complete change of plan!!

We finally got our visa at the end of Oct after an 11half month wait. We were all set to move over on Nov 28th - tickets booked, shippers organised etc. We were going to leave our house on the market till Spring and if it still hadn't sold we would rent it out. Well in the last few days everything has changed. OH seriously stressed at thought of leaving house and not having any capital when we move - he was making himself ill with worry. So now we are still flying out on 28th. Going to validate our visas, have a holiday with family for 6 weeks and come back mid Jan. We'll go permenantly as soon as the house sells (who knows when that will be!)

It sure is a rollercoaster ride!! Have been very upset at the change of plans but for us it is the most sensible thing to do in the current climate.

How long do we have from validation until we have to go for good?

Alex
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complete change of plan!!

Sorry to hear that. Everyone seems to think house prices have further to fall, so you may be wise to drop the price so far that it's such a bargain that you will be able to sell and then get on with your life in Oz.

As far as the visa is concerned, your deadline to move is five years from the date of grant though that would of course be cutting it fine.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Might seem like your lives are on hold and that the move to Oz is some distant possbility - but it'll come round far faster than you imagine.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:20 am
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Best all around to be honest, if you do not like Australia you can knock the move on the head....good luck whatever you do.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Hutch - You're right - it will come round quickly. I am going to try to make sure I enjoy all the great things about the UK in the coming months rather than wish the time away.

Earlswoody - we've visited Oz many times before so pretty sure we want to give it a go. I'm sure we'll look at things slightly differently this time though, knowing we're going to be emigrating.

Louie - thanks for the info - hope it doesn't take that long for the house to sell! We've already dropped by £30K - can't afford to go much lower although I appreciate it's only worth as much as someone will pay for it!

Take care

Alex
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bag End Bunch
We finally got our visa at the end of Oct after an 11half month wait. We were all set to move over on Nov 28th - tickets booked, shippers organised etc. We were going to leave our house on the market till Spring and if it still hadn't sold we would rent it out. Well in the last few days everything has changed. OH seriously stressed at thought of leaving house and not having any capital when we move - he was making himself ill with worry. So now we are still flying out on 28th. Going to validate our visas, have a holiday with family for 6 weeks and come back mid Jan. We'll go permenantly as soon as the house sells (who knows when that will be!)

It sure is a rollercoaster ride!! Have been very upset at the change of plans but for us it is the most sensible thing to do in the current climate.

Alex
The visa is valid for 5 years from the date of grant (NOT the date the visa is stamped or validated)
See HERE for more info on validation
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

In a worse boat here in SA so if it makes you feel better,there is always someone behind you in the queue or worse off than yourself so chin up....we have a 2xbusiness a commercial property and our house to sell by march and we only have a temp.visa valid for 4 years........ahhhh the stress
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:57 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Alex
Hi we are in a similar situation our house is still on the market our daughter starts her new school in WA so my wife and daughter leave in January and I cant come untill the house sells agents think as long as spring untill it picks up
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Alex
at last someone with sense waiting untill you have enough funds to go with. How many threads have i read lately of people going & within three months on way back. You need money & lots of it if it is going to work. Dreams are one thing & they are free reality costs.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Alex
I am pretty sure everyone goes through this, but you need to get over those initial worries.
I have been having them for about 6 months now, the other night I got out a load of Family photos, Dad, Mum sisters etc, and it made me wonder why I was going, infact I thought about stopping here, well, for about 30 seconds I did. Then I dug out the Holiday snaps from our trips to OZ and and soon remembered why I want to.

You have got loads of time and the housing Market will sort itself out soon enough, I think the recent rate cut is going to help with house sales. Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your comments. Nice to know we are not alone although of course I hope things work out for everyone waiting for house and/or business sales.
Looking out of my window today - it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale - I'm grateful that we get the chance to go on a nice long Ozzie holiday in about 18 days. It's not all doom and gloom!!!

I wonder whether a new American President will bring a bit of confidence back to the world of finance? Surely it'll start to pick up by Springtime!!

Alex
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We are hoping to get back next year, but unless we have a secure job to go to it wont be in a hurry.

We have had the house valued and decided even tho we would only have a small amount of cash to take we will take that option and rent it due to a massive amount of loss if we sold.

If you could get a secure offer of a job before you go would your OH reconsider renting the house out? We are going to rent ours out for a year and see what happens..

Good luck

Kath
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We are hoping to get back next year, but unless we have a secure job to go to it wont be in a hurry.

We have had the house valued and decided even tho we would only have a small amount of cash to take we will take that option and rent it due to a massive amount of loss if we sold.

If you could get a secure offer of a job before you go would your OH reconsider renting the house out? We are going to rent ours out for a year and see what happens..

Good luck

Kath
Hi Bag End!

Noticed your lovely avatar !

Well moving is also doing my head in!

I was the original Oz move driver and I think I made a good job of selling it to OH. She now is adamant we're going (we've got our visas, flights booked and packers are coming on Tuesday!! )
And yet now I am having second thoughts about it all...
I have kind of started to fall in love with my life here in UK again. Love where we live, love my mates, love everything about living in UK, including the sodding weather...

But, deep down, it's been my dream to one day try Sydney...

Don't know if I can take the "what if?" anymore...Thoughts are running thorough my head at 110mph!!

Anyone ever had these feelings and made a success of the move?

Please respond
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:28 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Syedney
Hi Bag End!

Noticed your lovely avatar !

Well moving is also doing my head in!

I was the original Oz move driver and I think I made a good job of selling it to OH. She now is adamant we're going (we've got our visas, flights booked and packers are coming on Tuesday!! )
And yet now I am having second thoughts about it all...
I have kind of started to fall in love with my life here in UK again. Love where we live, love my mates, love everything about living in UK, including the sodding weather...

But, deep down, it's been my dream to one day try Sydney...

Don't know if I can take the "what if?" anymore...Thoughts are running thorough my head at 110mph!!

Anyone ever had these feelings and made a success of the move?

Please respond

Maybe it's a bit too soon to comment, we've only been here 2 weeks, but i'm gonna do it anyway!!! Don't forget, this is my experience and we've not been here long.

In the Uk we both had good jobs, a lovely home, 2 cars, kids were in good 'free' schools, they had loads of friends and were completely happy, but i didn't think we had a good quality of life in the UK and thought that we could achieve that and more in Oz.

We're now in a rental, no jobs (hopefully we'll get some soon), kids hate it (and they wanted to come!), and to get the same standard of education we're having to pay private, something i'd not planned on. I've yet to experience the quality of life we came for, but again, we've only just arrived, so it may happen.

Would i have taken the risk if i knew what i do now? NOOOOOOOOOOOO, saying that, I've talked to loads of people since i got here and NOT ONE PERSON has said they'd go back, so maybe my first impression is completely wrong (i hope it is anyway!!) and what we need is time to find our feet and settle down.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1967
Maybe it's a bit too soon to comment, we've only been here 2 weeks, but i'm gonna do it anyway!!! Don't forget, this is my experience and we've not been here long.

In the Uk we both had good jobs, a lovely home, 2 cars, kids were in good 'free' schools, they had loads of friends and were completely happy, but i didn't think we had a good quality of life in the UK and thought that we could achieve that and more in Oz.

We're now in a rental, no jobs (hopefully we'll get some soon), kids hate it (and they wanted to come!), and to get the same standard of education we're having to pay private, something i'd not planned on. I've yet to experience the quality of life we came for, but again, we've only just arrived, so it may happen.

Would i have taken the risk if i knew what i do now? NOOOOOOOOOOOO, saying that, I've talked to loads of people since i got here and NOT ONE PERSON has said they'd go back, so maybe my first impression is completely wrong (i hope it is anyway!!) and what we need is time to find our feet and settle down.
too soon & sounds again like someone has got carried away with the excitement of oz. Ask yourself would you jump over a wall if you did not know what was on the other side without checking first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.