Reload this Page >

complementary therapist moving to oz

Wikiposts

complementary therapist moving to oz

Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:27 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: complementary therapist moving to oz

Originally Posted by steve`o
my qualifications are with the I I H H T And i contacted the reflexology association and they said i would need to sit an exam and do a practicle to join. it was the atms who sent me the e mail to say that you could practice without being registered and that you would have to prove if you wanted to join an association so it seems every one has different ideas i was just passing on info that i had recieved. i too am a member of a proffesional body here in the U K it the F H T and i am fully insured and have been practing since 98 myself
goldcoastbound on stevo s comp
I wasn't commenting on your UK qualifications or your experience, but it seems to me that if this is what you were told then the organisations themselves are not being consistent. You were told one thing, I was told another. One of us has been misled as it is either necessary to be registered to practise, or it isn't necessary to be registered.

I have been informed by both the RAA and the IFA that it is impossible to practise professionally, and thus charge for treatments, without being registered/affiliated to a governing body. Certainly no-one generally practises nowadays without adequate professional indemnity and public liability insurance - have you been told whether you can obtain this without being registered? In the UK it was necessary to belong to one of the governing bodies to obtain insurance.

For both our sakes, and for the sake of anyone else who is a therapist, I think this needs clarifying. We need to find out which one of us has been given duff information. Would you agree?

Sue
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:58 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I think this needs clarifying. We need to find out which one of us has been given duff information. Would you agree?

Sue
hi sue, steve here ( goldcoastbound`s partner )
Debra ( goldcoastbound god this is getting complicated ) will email over the replies she recieved from the relevant bodies later

hope this helps

regards Steve

regards
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:57 am
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Thankyou for your help.
i have already been in touch with Naturecare and they have been so helpful. Already organised an application form for the kinesiology association with their help and even been offered work with a kinesiologist there!
I am a qualified fitness instructor and my qualifications carry straight over so thats ok.
Thankyou all for your help and advice
Kinesiology is really big in Oz and after living in such a small place as Whitby it will be great to be around people who understand what its all about!
Ange
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:01 am
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Through my research in my field i have been led to believe that you need to be registered with organisations who recognise your qualifications to be able to practice in Australia.
This being Fitness Training, Sports/Remedial Massage and Kinesiology.
I am qualified in reflexology with the IIHHT but was told a few years ago from the reflexology association in the UK that if i wanted to join them i might have to do some retraining. To practice in Australia it might be best to get this cover before travelling. (Does that make sense?)
Ange
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

I have been toying with the idea of doing a Reflexology diploma as a distance learner (learning from home) as (a) I have now missed the September 2005 intake and (b) it would fit around my job, kids and hubby much more easily than attending nightschool BUT on reading this thread I wonder if I would just be wasting my time (and lots of money!) doing this before we go to Oz???

It seems, by reading this thread, that there has been conflicting advice given about what the requirement are for practising over there and I wonder if anyone has received any more up-to-date info?

Hugs
Karen
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:22 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Whitby Wanderers
I have already been in touch with Naturecare and they have been so helpful.
Ange
I did my Remedial Massage & Reflexology Diploma there, they are excellent.

Good luck
MMum
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I have been toying with the idea of doing a Reflexology diploma as a distance learner (learning from home) as (a) I have now missed the September 2005 intake and (b) it would fit around my job, kids and hubby much more easily than attending nightschool BUT on reading this thread I wonder if I would just be wasting my time (and lots of money!) doing this before we go to Oz???

It seems, by reading this thread, that there has been conflicting advice given about what the requirement are for practising over there and I wonder if anyone has received any more up-to-date info?

Hugs
Karen
Hi Karen,

Yes, GCB and I have been corresponding about this to try and clarify what the situation really is. She has mailed her source of information, I believe, and I e-mailed the administrator of the RAA (Reflexology Association of Australia) to ask the exact position. I haven't heard from GCB so presumably she is waiting for a reply, but the RAA have come back to me and quite categorically stated that to practise professionally in Australia, you must have adequate public liability and professional indemnity insurance, and to obtain this, you must be a registered practitioner. To be registered, you must satisfy the governing body that you have been adequately trained, and that your standards of practise are up to those required in Oz. I have been told that they are much more strict here than in the UK - which isn't hard!!

If you are going to undertake training in the UK, check with your college as to how your qualification will be affected by moving to Oz. I trained with the IIR ten years ago, and back then they promoted their courses partly by the fact that their qualification entitled you to practise anywhere in the world without further re-examination. It's not the case now though - despite the IIR having a branch in Oz, the qualification is no longer good enough on its own and you now have to undergo Recognition of Prior Learning process where the training you have received is assessed. For which you have to pay, of course!

Having said this, the administrator of the RAA did say that the UK training standards are generally pretty close to Oz ones, and it's likely that registered UK reflexologists will satisfy the assessors. I would suggest you find out who your college is affiliated to, whether the qualification would give you registration in the UK, and if so, I'd be inclined to think that you'd be able to *convert* to Oz registration when you come over. I'm going to start the RPL process shortly, so I can let you know what's involved if you like. I'm having to do similar with my aromatherapy qualification too...

Sue
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:56 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: complementary therapist moving to oz

Hi Karen,

Yes, GCB and I have been corresponding about this to try and clarify what the situation really is. She has mailed her source of information, I believe, and I e-mailed the administrator of the RAA (Reflexology Association of Australia) to ask the exact position. I haven't heard from GCB so presumably she is waiting for a reply, but the RAA have come back to me and quite categorically stated that to practise professionally in Australia, you must have adequate public liability and professional indemnity insurance, and to obtain this, you must be a registered practitioner. To be registered, you must satisfy the governing body that you have been adequately trained, and that your standards of practise are up to those required in Oz. I have been told that they are much more strict here than in the UK - which isn't hard!!

Sue
hi sue yes still waiting to here but you seem to have got good info can you let me know what the prior learning process involves as well thanks
gold coast bound
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sue

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I'd be very interested to hear of any other info you glean on the subject along the way.

In the meantime, if anyone comes across any particular professional bodies whose qualifications are currently being acknowledged in Oz, it would be great to hear about them. I will also post any info I come across on this subject.

Hugs
Karen

Hi Karen,

If you are going to undertake training in the UK, check with your college as to how your qualification will be affected by moving to Oz. I trained with the IIR ten years ago, and back then they promoted their courses partly by the fact that their qualification entitled you to practise anywhere in the world without further re-examination. It's not the case now though - despite the IIR having a branch in Oz, the qualification is no longer good enough on its own and you now have to undergo Recognition of Prior Learning process where the training you have received is assessed. For which you have to pay, of course!

Having said this, the administrator of the RAA did say that the UK training standards are generally pretty close to Oz ones, and it's likely that registered UK reflexologists will satisfy the assessors. I would suggest you find out who your college is affiliated to, whether the qualification would give you registration in the UK, and if so, I'd be inclined to think that you'd be able to *convert* to Oz registration when you come over. I'm going to start the RPL process shortly, so I can let you know what's involved if you like. I'm having to do similar with my aromatherapy qualification too...

Sue
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

A link that may be useful

http://www.ifa.org.au/structure/code_of_practice.htm
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I have just received my information pack from the IFA. I think they are actually going to be quite straightforward for me. I am currently registered with the IFA in the UK, and it appears that all I have to do in Oz to satisfy the IFA Australian division is to re-take my first aid course (annoying as I only did my UK one in May this year), and then submit my first aid certificate with my valid insurance cover in order to be registered. However, I have been told by the administrator to submit an application for full membership based on the qualification I have, and that she will ratify that and liaise with the insurance underwriters so that they don't refuse insurance.

The RAA require the recognition of prior learning process. GCB, if you would like me to, I will forward you the copy of the e-mail I had from the administrator outlining the procedure. I'm happy to do this for any reflexologist who is interested - please let me have your e-mail addy off-list.

Cynical though it sounds, I'm sorry to say that the whole process appears to be a rather good way to make you part with money!

Sue
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Cynical though it sounds, I'm sorry to say that the whole process appears to be a rather good way to make you part with money!
... its the same for many trades and professions you have to jump through hoops doing TRA/other recognition process only to get over there and find it was basically a waste of time cos you need to re-train and/or hand over MORE money to get licences etc

Great info - I'll check out the IFA as it might be worth me finding a course through them and then just going through the short rigmarole in Oz rather than sitting here for the next year twiddling my thumbs desparate to do some sort of therapy course.

Karen