Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Complaint about Australian Visa

Complaint about Australian Visa

Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complaint about Australian Visa

Originally Posted by pogsy
Cant give you any help but its typical of Federal Government here who oversee the visa and State Government who write the rules they want regarding qualifications and who can do what.
So it's down to both Federal and State Governments that he's not go the job he wants quickly and so gone home again? Interesting. So who's to blame for the countless people who've come over and found work in the same profession both before and since the OP?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So it's down to both Federal and State Governments that he's not go the job he wants quickly and so gone home again? Interesting. So who's to blame for the countless people who've come over and found work in the same profession both before and since the OP?
Can I firstly ask why you are so confrontational with most of your replies?,
It was my opinion on someone else's question. After my experiences dealing with state government and a skilled visa issued by Federal Government. What State Government would not accept relating to references in my trade that were perfectly good enough to get a visa but were not good enough to go towards a license for my trade. Thats all, a simple observation based on experience. Dont need a confrontational reply relating to countless people finding work. Not what I commented on. Have a nice evening.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
Can I firstly ask why you are so confrontational with most of your replies?,
It was my opinion on someone else's question. After my experiences dealing with state government and a skilled visa issued by Federal Government. What State Government would not accept relating to references in my trade that were perfectly good enough to get a visa but were not good enough to go towards a license for my trade. Thats all, a simple observation based on experience. Dont need a confrontational reply relating to countless people finding work. Not what I commented on. Have a nice evening.
Calm yourself. Most of my replies are confrontational? Believe me most my replies are fairly daft, I only get confrontational when someone replies with something that either doesn't make sense or is plain wrong with regard Immigration matters. Your reply didn't make sense to me, now it does simply because you've explained what you meant. No big deal. Don't know where you are but it's night time here.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jul 31st 2012 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

DCart78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I knew quite rightly when I applied and went over that I would not expect to walk into a job at my level so was happy to take a step backwards. I even signed on and passed the Australian Law and Tax modules as recommended but the problem was that nearly every agency I spoke to told me that I could only expect basic entry level accounts receivable / accounts payable positions as I had no experience in accounting at all.

When I queried about part-qualified roles which I thought was not unreasonable the response I got was that you needed to have a degree or qualifications to be even considered for them.

I think what really killed it was that a couple of the agencies told me that 'the market was saturated with people with basic accounts payable / receivable roles through to newly qualified accountants so I was lucky to get work in the first place and would be lucky to even get another placement with my limited skills base'. I decided then that I would rather go back to the UK and progress my career further in 3-4 years as a qualified accountant than stick another 3-4 years trying to get back to where I was when I left the UK, I am fortunate in that I had the freedom to move.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think it was more that I believed the ACCA marketing of it being a globally recognised qualification only to be told repeatedly that it wasn't valid in Australia and I had no formal qualifications at all. Not sure if you are an accountant or not, but there are 3 main UK accounting qualifications, 2 have done deals where their members can 'exchange' their UK qualification direct for the Australian equivalent, hence when they arrive in Australia as far as employers can see, they have a recognised Australian Qualification (or so my understanding is) so they can at least hit the ground walking, mine didn't
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zen10
I know there have been some changes in accountancy regulations recently because I know someone who tried to explain it to me but I didn't really keep up with his explanation! Perhaps this is the reason, but I doubt you have any kind of case. The bottom line is your skills are assessed but you are never guaranteed work, so after the visa is issued you throw the dice.
The changes shouldn't make a difference as they will (eventually) impact on all accountants worldwide anyway. I agree about never expecting a job when I landed (if only I had worked down't pit when I were a lad that would be a different story (I'm from Yorkshire)). It was more that I had my skills assessed so assumed that they were valid, only to be told by people (supposedly) in the know that actually my skills were worthless.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCart78
I think it was more that I believed the ACCA marketing of it being a globally recognised qualification only to be told repeatedly that it wasn't valid in Australia and I had no formal qualifications at all. Not sure if you are an accountant or not, but there are 3 main UK accounting qualifications, 2 have done deals where their members can 'exchange' their UK qualification direct for the Australian equivalent, hence when they arrive in Australia as far as employers can see, they have a recognised Australian Qualification (or so my understanding is) so they can at least hit the ground walking, mine didn't
It would be nice if the ACCA had a mutual recognition agreement, but they choose not to so get over it. I have mentioned several times now that I know numerous ACCA and am one myself, who have had no problems whatsoever in transitioning to Australia.

You prefer to ignore this and keep on blaming the qualification, when perhaps it was actually your attitude / experience / CV that let you down.

I even specifically asked about the ACCA as I had seen the scaremongering and the agents I spoke to blinked at me in disbelief that I would even be asking. I am at the senior end of the market and probably my experience is of more relevance to most, however I know people at the more junior end, with a couple of years PQE and they have walked into roles paying about $130k.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:36 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCart78
The changes shouldn't make a difference as they will (eventually) impact on all accountants worldwide anyway. I agree about never expecting a job when I landed (if only I had worked down't pit when I were a lad that would be a different story (I'm from Yorkshire)). It was more that I had my skills assessed so assumed that they were valid, only to be told by people (supposedly) in the know that actually my skills were worthless.
You know, if I were you I wouldn't give up on Australia just yet. Have another go with your CV from the comfort of home and see what you get. You have nothing to lose after all. Throw them dice!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how someones skills can be assessed and then given a visa to work in Australia but then get told that the skills are actually no good. That has to be counter productive to getting skilled workers to Australia as it means they leave, spend lots of time and money getting certified or work in another profession (after spending the time and money on gettign certified).
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:23 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

the accountancy profession in oz is largely regulated by the profession itself instead of the govt. and i find it's not really the quals they look for, it's more on your experience.

and i see nothing wrong doing temporary cashier work at coles unless you are too proud of being a white collar person.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
the accountancy profession in oz is largely regulated by the profession itself instead of the govt. and i find it's not really the quals they look for, it's more on your experience.

and i see nothing wrong doing temporary cashier work at coles unless you are too proud of being a white collar person.
The risk is that you could get yourself caught up in these roles which would devalue your CV.

The government shouldn't be accepting these skills as valid then if they are not valid in Australia.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
The risk is that you could get yourself caught up in these roles which would devalue your CV.

The government shouldn't be accepting these skills as valid then if they are not valid in Australia.
One person's sour grapes over not being able to find a role does not mean that the qualification is not valid in Australia. It is perfectly valid and widely recognised.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
One person's sour grapes over not being able to find a role does not mean that the qualification is not valid in Australia. It is perfectly valid and widely recognised.
I'm confused. The OP is saying that their qualifications aren't accepted and needs to retrain for it over here. Thats also the case in other professions. Hardly sour grapes if people are seeing this happen to them when they get to the other side of the planet.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. The OP is saying that their qualifications aren't accepted and needs to retrain for it over here. Thats also the case in other professions. Hardly sour grapes if people are seeing this happen to them when they get to the other side of the planet.
And the OP has been told that the qualification is accepted here and doesn't need to retrain for it.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you read the thread? It really is not confusing.

The qualification IS accepted. Everywhere. I know numerous people that have it, I have it and it has not been a problem in the slightest. If OP is being told this line then he is being fobbed off by a recruitment agent that doesn't think they can help him or doesn't want to help him.

Accountancy is not regulated by state or federal government and it is nonsense to suggest that someone cannot work as an accountant because they have a UK qualification. It is not like it is with say the electricians over here that have to get particular tickets or even teachers that have to get registered with a state. Some people work in accountant like roles without ever getting fully qualified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.