Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compassionate Leave COVID

Compassionate Leave COVID

Old Nov 10th 2020, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassionate Leave COVID

Hello

Providing a quick update to all you lovely people who have offered support and encouragement over the last couple of months.

I am booked to fly with Qatar Airways into Edinburgh on Saturday and return mid January. I have registered with DFAT as an Australian who is seeking to return here. With Victoria looking likely to start allowing international passengers to quarantine here, things are looking somewhat hopeful. The talk of considerations around options of quarantining at home with some kind of security tag is promising too, though I realise coming from the UK where numbers are high, I'm unlikely to be considered for this. Regardless, I will be happy enough to quarantine in Howard Springs or any Australian city that I can fly to - as long as I am back here in Australia closer to my own wee family here, I will be fine.

My dear mum is holding on and despite the doctors initially saying she wasn't strong enough for intravenous chemo, this is now her only option so she's giving it a go.

If you have faith of any kind, please do keep me in your prayers as I take these calculated risks ahead of me. If you have heard of Corrie Ten Boom you may know the quote -

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of it's strength.

I try to live by this every day.

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond. I will keep you posted in regards to my return.

xxxx
Old Nov 10th 2020, 2:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotsista
Hello

Providing a quick update to all you lovely people who have offered support and encouragement over the last couple of months.

I am booked to fly with Qatar Airways into Edinburgh on Saturday and return mid January. I have registered with DFAT as an Australian who is seeking to return here. With Victoria looking likely to start allowing international passengers to quarantine here, things are looking somewhat hopeful. The talk of considerations around options of quarantining at home with some kind of security tag is promising too, though I realise coming from the UK where numbers are high, I'm unlikely to be considered for this. Regardless, I will be happy enough to quarantine in Howard Springs or any Australian city that I can fly to - as long as I am back here in Australia closer to my own wee family here, I will be fine.

My dear mum is holding on and despite the doctors initially saying she wasn't strong enough for intravenous chemo, this is now her only option so she's giving it a go.

If you have faith of any kind, please do keep me in your prayers as I take these calculated risks ahead of me. If you have heard of Corrie Ten Boom you may know the quote -

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond. I will keep you posted in regards to my return.

xxxx
Good luck with it all and fingers crossed for your mum. Will you be able to visit her?
Old Nov 10th 2020, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

xxxx
Good luck with it all. Good that your mum has an option at least and your being there will be a real bonus for her. Bon Voyage!
Old Nov 10th 2020, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she's still at home thankfully :-)

By the way, I love your quote at the end of your post - very funny!
Old Nov 10th 2020, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good luck with it all and fingers crossed for your mum. Will you be able to visit her?
Yes, she's still at home thankfully.

By the way I love your quote at the end of your message - very funny!
Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering if you have been able to return home scotsista
Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Hello Quoll,

Thank you for asking - I am due to fly back on Saturday 16th. So far, all is looking fine. I've been in touch with Qatar Airways to inform them of my compassionate circumstances and the fact I have 2 young children at home in Melbourne. I've updated my details with DFAT and have recently joined a facebook group for stranded Aussies which has been very informative. If I get bumped off on Saturday, I'll contact DFAT again to update them as I believe there's a flight leaving London at the end of the month.

My dear mum, very sadly, passed away exactly 2 weeks to the day I arrived here. As sad as it is, I feel blessed to have been able to spend time with her in her final days. She died peacefully at home with me and my dad beside her. x
Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Quoll,

Thank you for asking - I am due to fly back on Saturday 16th. So far, all is looking fine. I've been in touch with Qatar Airways to inform them of my compassionate circumstances and the fact I have 2 young children at home in Melbourne. I've updated my details with DFAT and have recently joined a facebook group for stranded Aussies which has been very informative. If I get bumped off on Saturday, I'll contact DFAT again to update them as I believe there's a flight leaving London at the end of the month.

My dear mum, very sadly, passed away exactly 2 weeks to the day I arrived here. As sad as it is, I feel blessed to have been able to spend time with her in her final days. She died peacefully at home with me and my dad beside her. x
So sorry to hear she passed away but pleased it was peaceful and you got to spend time with her.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hello Quoll,

I am so sorry to hear about your mum, scotsista but you must be so relieved that you could be there for her last weeks and hopefully you have been able to get your dad into a positive place so you can leave him secure in the knowledge that he is safe and supported. Good luck with the flight home - stock up on crosswords, knitting and exercise videos for your fortnight's decompression leave!
Old Jan 12th 2021, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Quoll,

So very sorry to hear your news and understand your feelings of being blessed. Good luck with your flight and that your soon back home with your "wee family" All the best x
Old Jan 12th 2021, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Quoll,

I happened to randomly come across your story a while ago and thought it really summed up the frustrations and agonies of families these days, made all the worse by the distances involved. I’m so relieved to read that you were able to spend some time with both your parents before your mother’s passing - that must have been a great comfort to you all.
Best wishes for your homeward travel.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support. It means a lot to me.

I now have evidence of a negative COVID test, have completed the new Australia travel declaration form and checked in for my flights. Interestingly, I would usually get boarding cards straightway but this time I have received a 'confirmation pass' so we will see what happens.

I have applied for a quarantine exemption (thanks to the facebook group Remove the Cap - I didn't realise this was possible until I read it on there.) They are very rarely granted but I thought it worth a try as I have chronic health conditions myself as well as having travelled for compassionate circumstances.

If there is anything I have missed in regards to my return that any of you lovely people may be aware of, please let me know ASAP. It's been highly stressful and I fear that I may miss something obvious because of this.

I will keep you posted in regards to travel and thanks again for being such a lovely bunch :-)
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support. It means a lot to me.

I now have evidence of a negative COVID test, have completed the new Australia travel declaration form and checked in for my flights. Interestingly, I would usually get boarding cards straightway but this time I have received a 'confirmation pass' so we will see what happens.

I have applied for a quarantine exemption (thanks to the facebook group Remove the Cap - I didn't realise this was possible until I read it on there.) They are very rarely granted but I thought it worth a try as I have chronic health conditions myself as well as having travelled for compassionate circumstances.

If there is anything I have missed in regards to my return that any of you lovely people may be aware of, please let me know ASAP. It's been highly stressful and I fear that I may miss something ob

I will keep you posted in regards to travel and thanks again for being such a lovely bunch :-)

I’ve recently read elsewhere an account of someone returning to Canada from the UK and they too reported they couldn’t get a boarding pass on their phone in the usual way. All was well once they got to the airport though - it’s obviously a step they’ve altered in the current circumstances.
Good luck!
Old Jan 17th 2021, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

G'day mates!

Finally arrived in Melbourne late last night and now sitting in the 5 star prison known as The Pullman on Swanston. Sadly, I was refused an exemption but it's understandable given I've come from the UK. We get tested on day 3 and day 11. If both tests are negative, I'm hoping they may allow me to go home early but time will tell. Feeling very lucky as I think the hotel quarantine system is a bit of a lucky dip. I have a lovely room, meals delivered to my door 3 times a day and a big window that I can open for fresh air. Thankfully I am someone who enjoys my own company and after a stressful few months, the peace & quiet will be greatly appreciated.

All went smoothly with my flight. Qatar Airways were fab as usual. There was a woman and daughter on my flight who had flown from Dublin, coming to visit her elderly parents for 5 months. They hadn't been bumped off any flights either which is promising for anyone in similar positions.

If anyone is reading this who has upcoming travel plans, please don't hesitate to PM me if I can of assistance in any way. Sometimes just a little bit of reassurance is needed, even if it's from strangers. You have all helped me along the way with your kind words and encouragement. Thank you again. x

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Rosie24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your loss glad you arrived safely home. I was wondering about flights going from scotland to Brisbane have stopped all flights from Glasgow .who did you book your flights with, Have a permanent residents visa came home to sell home witch due to COVID fell through . Can,t guarantee getting on flight as we are hearing terrible stories and a bit reluctant to sell house with nowhere to stay .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.