Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compassionate Leave COVID

Compassionate Leave COVID

Old Sep 11th 2020, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassionate Leave COVID

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad to hear things are moving the right way. I can reassure you that there is no likelhood of inbound flights being stopped altogether. There certainly are moves afoot to increase the number of arrivals, and this may mean some changes to the way some States maage quarantine. It will still exist but costs and locations may change. I'll post more when I know it.
You are a star Pollyana. I am so grateful to have this support and that I actually thought of coming on to this website again after all those years. I have been thinking about the best state to leave from. I see that Perth currently have the highest number of authorised capacity out of all the states for arrivals so I'm leaning towards there. I have accounted financially an extra $3000 for paying the hotel quarantine on the way back. I am also conscious that on arriving in Scotland, I am supposed to self isolate for 2 weeks. My understanding is that the Scottish government have waived the self isolation for people flying from certain countries (Australia being one of them) but since my flight won't be direct, I'll be considered either coming from Qatar or Dubai. I have a friend who can put me up for the 2 weeks and her house is big enough so that I could pretty much keep myself to myself - however, two weeks more away from mum and dad feels like a hell of a waste given the current circumstances. I am very very tempted to do the isolation at their house (which is much smaller than my friends) just to be able to spend the time with them. I feel a huge weight though of potentially passing them this bloody virus. I could do all I can such as wear my mask all the time, keep my distance, clean things after I've touched them etc and I feel like if I speak with them about it, that is what they'd want me to do, but it is still a weight to carry by doing it.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read about the situation...that's a whole lot to deal with.

Firstly though, there's no need for you to leave from Perth. You don't need to leave from Perth to fly back there. Just book MEL-UK-PER.

Having said that, I really don't think that booking PER is going to make a difference...every Aussie stranded overseas is I'm sure prepared to be flexible on their port of entry just to get on a flight. Nothing will change on this front until the inbound cap is raised or the government steps in in some other way. Presumably inbound travel to Melbourne will not be back anytime soon given the crazy triggers in our roadmap.

Regarding quarantine in the UK, and I know the 4 countries are maintaining their own lists, but there are quarantine free options. Transit via Hong Kong is the obvious one that is on the Scottish list and will allow transit. Wales recently added Singapore to that list and I thought the others would follow shortly but no sign of that yet. There are others like Malaysia and Taiwan but I don't know if there are flights / transit allowed.

The flight might cost a bit more, maybe you'd need to look at two oneways, but it sounds like avoiding that self isolate requirement is important.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sorry to read about the situation...that's a whole lot to deal with.

Firstly though, there's no need for you to leave from Perth. You don't need to leave from Perth to fly back there. Just book MEL-UK-PER.

Having said that, I really don't think that booking PER is going to make a difference...every Aussie stranded overseas is I'm sure prepared to be flexible on their port of entry just to get on a flight. Nothing will change on this front until the inbound cap is raised or the government steps in in some other way. Presumably inbound travel to Melbourne will not be back anytime soon given the crazy triggers in our roadmap.

Regarding quarantine in the UK, and I know the 4 countries are maintaining their own lists, but there are quarantine free options. Transit via Hong Kong is the obvious one that is on the Scottish list and will allow transit. Wales recently added Singapore to that list and I thought the others would follow shortly but no sign of that yet. There are others like Malaysia and Taiwan but I don't know if there are flights / transit allowed.

The flight might cost a bit more, maybe you'd need to look at two oneways, but it sounds like avoiding that self isolate requirement is important.

Thanks so much for your knowledge and suggestions. I didn't realise that I could still fly out of Melbourne! I had assumed with there being no incoming international flights that there would be no outgoing either???? Yes I'm considering buying one way or an open return, which I think might be cheaper - a friend who worked for an airline in Scotland suggested that.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotsista
Thanks so much for your knowledge and suggestions. I didn't realise that I could still fly out of Melbourne! I had assumed with there being no incoming international flights that there would be no outgoing either???? Yes I'm considering buying one way or an open return, which I think might be cheaper - a friend who worked for an airline in Scotland suggested that.
Its a totally logical assumption you made...but flights do still operate.

Eg...you could do Cathay MEL-HKG-LHR on Wednesday...$1600 one way. Short connection in HKG. No self isolation requirement.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Its a totally logical assumption you made...but flights do still operate.

Eg...you could do Cathay MEL-HKG-LHR on Wednesday...$1600 one way. Short connection in HKG. No self isolation requirement.
Well that has totally thrown me. I am SO CHUFFED that you told me this. You know, I am blown away how supportive you have all been in such a short space of time. It really reminds me that none of us have all the information but with a collaborative approach so much more can be gained!
Old Sep 18th 2020, 2:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Scotsista...in case you're still looking at flights...Singapore is now also on the Scottish and English lists of quarantine exempt transit points. Well, as of 4am tomorrow it is.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Scotsista...in case you're still looking at flights...Singapore is now also on the Scottish and English lists of quarantine exempt transit points. Well, as of 4am tomorrow it is.
Thanks so much BC World for thinking of me. I am still looking at flights and pleased to see the announcement about the rise in flight caps. I'd really like to hear if those caps will be staying in place for a few weeks/months. I'm a bit fearful that once all the Aussies who are stranded get home, the caps will lower again. Thanks again!
Old Sep 18th 2020, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

By the way, which airline are you talking about via SIN? I note you said Cathay Pacific goes via HKG - never flown with them before. Have you had a good experience with them as an airline? I usually travel with Emirates or Qatar Airways.............
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Thanks so much BC World for thinking of me. I am still looking at flights and pleased to see the announcement about the rise in flight caps. I'd really like to hear if those caps will be staying in place for a few weeks/months. I'm a bit fearful that once all the Aussies who are stranded get home, the caps will lower again. Thanks again!
The caps won't be reduced. Even with the proposed increase it will still not be enough to meet demand.

By the way, which airline are you talking about via SIN? I note you said Cathay Pacific goes via HKG - never flown with them before. Have you had a good experience with them as an airline? I usually travel with Emirates or Qatar Airways.............
Would have to be Singapore Airlines...looks like they're doing MEL-LHR 2 days a week. I've flown Cathay...no complaints. I think the no quarantine requirement outweighs everything else anyway.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

The caps won't be reduced. Even with the proposed increase it will still not be enough to meet demand.

Would have to be Singapore Airlines...looks like they're doing MEL-LHR 2 days a week. I've flown Cathay...no complaints. I think the no quarantine requirement outweighs everything else anyway.
Okay, thanks I'll have a look at Singapore Airlines. When I asked about Cathay, I was thinking more around if they'd be professional and helpful if I was getting bumped off at any point as I agree with you the no quarantine is more important. Saying that though, I'm still not convinced I should stay with mum & dad straightaway after having come off a long haul flight. It scares me to think I could potentially give them this virus and they're both high risk. It's times like these, I wish I didn't have to make 'adult' decisions!
Old Sep 19th 2020, 4:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

When I asked about Cathay, I was thinking more around if they'd be professional and helpful if I was getting bumped off at any point
There's really not a lot they can do. I think each week they have discussions with the Australian government and get told the exact number they can carry. If you are bumped off, basically they won't be able to get you on another flight as all flights will have the same problem. You can be fairly sure though that you won't be bumped half way...it will happen before leaving the UK.

In a Facebook group I'm in I saw a passenger who Cathay has just cancelled on (from the UK)...their flight isn't until November AND they were booked in business class!
Old Sep 19th 2020, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, thanks I'll have a look at Singapore Airlines. When I asked about Cathay, I was thinking more around if they'd be professional and helpful if I was getting bumped off at any point as I agree with you the no quarantine is more important. Saying that though, I'm still not convinced I should stay with mum & dad straightaway after having come off a long haul flight. It scares me to think I could potentially give them this virus and they're both high risk. It's times like these, I wish I didn't have to make 'adult' decisions!
I did Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong a few years back. Apart from not liking Hong Kong airport, the flights themselves were fine and I'd use them again. With regards getting bumped and them being awkward, I think it's unlikely. The world is a weird place at the moment and the airlines are having to go with the flow and not be as difficult as they could have been in the past.

Massive sympathies for the reasons for the flights. I think we've all had the 'what would we do' thoughts since all this kicked off. I still have no clue and to be honest, I'm quite grateful that both my parents died a while ago so the only person we have to worry about is my MiL and she has told us pointblank we are not to go over, she's had a good life and if she dies so be it, she's happy! Good luck.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I did Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong a few years back. Apart from not liking Hong Kong airport, the flights themselves were fine and I'd use them again. With regards getting bumped and them being awkward, I think it's unlikely. The world is a weird place at the moment and the airlines are having to go with the flow and not be as difficult as they could have been in the past.

Massive sympathies for the reasons for the flights. I think we've all had the 'what would we do' thoughts since all this kicked off. I still have no clue and to be honest, I'm quite grateful that both my parents died a while ago so the only person we have to worry about is my MiL and she has told us pointblank we are not to go over, she's had a good life and if she dies so be it, she's happy! Good luck.
Thanks for your response, I have only just saw it. I appreciate it.

I am still here in Melbourne. I was unwell myself for a few weeks recently which hasn't helped! I'm still sitting on the fence waiting I suppose for some kind of reassurance from the government that I will be able to get back here if I go. I see there are new developments ahead with the government preparing Quantas flights to London and India with the hope of bringing back 1,000 passengers a month. I've written to my local MP again today who has been very helpful previously, to find out who I can contact in regards to how long this assistance is likely to be available for. I don't know if I am asking too much but I feel like I need to hear from someone in the government that I will be able to return here again. It's a bit of a concern that numbers are rising over in the UK again too.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response, I have only just saw it. I appreciate it.

I am still here in Melbourne. I was unwell myself for a few weeks recently which hasn't helped! I'm still sitting on the fence waiting I suppose for some kind of reassurance from the government that I will be able to get back here if I go. I see there are new developments ahead with the government preparing Quantas flights to London and India with the hope of bringing back 1,000 passengers a month. I've written to my local MP again today who has been very helpful previously, to find out who I can contact in regards to how long this assistance is likely to be available for. I don't know if I am asking too much but I feel like I need to hear from someone in the government that I will be able to return here again. It's a bit of a concern that numbers are rising over in the UK again too.
I'm not sure that they would consider you a priority for a repatriation flight when there are thousands who have been waiting to leave for a while - they'd expect you to have booked flights seeing as your departure is on compassionate grounds. If you pay for first class you are less likely to be bumped off your return flight.

Sorry to hear that you havent been well either - that's not helping much is it?!
Old Oct 19th 2020, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
I'm not sure that they would consider you a priority for a repatriation flight when there are thousands who have been waiting to leave for a while - they'd expect you to have booked flights seeing as your departure is on compassionate grounds. If you pay for first class you are less likely to be bumped off your return flight.

Sorry to hear that you havent been well either - that's not helping much is it?!
Thanks for taking the time to respond Quoll. Thankfully I am feeling much better now.

Yes, I imagined the repatriation flights won't be for those who are now being given permission to go overseas. It's a worry that once all the stranded folk are brought back home, there won't be enough people needing to fly back and therefore a likelihood of getting stuck there regardless. I like your idea of first class however our budget would never stretch to that unfortunately - much as it would be nice. BC World recently heard of a Cathay Business passenger getting bumped off a flight until November!!

Today I have emailed Minister Payne enquiring around what the responsibilities are from the government end when they are giving people permission to leave. Will be interesting to see what she says if/when I receive a reply. My local MP has been helpful but their hands are tied and they know little information at the moment other than to say they feel for me and imagine I would have extreme difficulty getting back here again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.