Compassion

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:28 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Compassion

Just been thinking a lot lately and wondering if we all get so wrapped up in the drudgery of day to day life and the treadmill of visa`s and TRA that we become blinkered to what is happening to others. So here are my thoughts - feel free to disagree with them (they are mine so not necessarily yours which is fine).
For all those stuck in UK complaining about the weather and chavs spare a thought for the pommie house wife bawling her eyes out in Perth because she is missing family and friends and is finding it harder than she thought to adapt.
For those in Australia and who are deliriously happy despite the heat and the flies try to remember how hard it was to get there and spare a thought for those still trying - try to be more patient with us.
For those in Australia who aren`t happy there - please don`t be too hard on those who have rosetinted specs (I`m sure you wore them too at one point).
For those still in the UK -think before slagging people off in Oz when they say they are unhappy with the lifestyle after all it seems ok to moan about life here but not about the day to day drudgery of life on the other side.
What got me thinking about all this was a girl I worked with died recently from breast cancer at the age of 35 leaving a 5 yr old daughter - her sister refused on my colleagues death bed to look after her neice and suggested she be put up for adoption - so don`t sweat the small stuff and try to have some compassion for others.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassion

I totally agreewith what you've said
But what I cant understand is what kind of woman is your poor friends sister
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:34 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilary6
I totally agreewith what you've said
But what I cant understand is what kind of woman is your poor friends sister
No mate - neither do I - like I said where is the compassion in some people??
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Just been thinking a lot lately and wondering if we all get so wrapped up in the drudgery of day to day life and the treadmill of visa`s and TRA that we become blinkered to what is happening to others. So here are my thoughts - feel free to disagree with them (they are mine so not necessarily yours which is fine).
For all those stuck in UK complaining about the weather and chavs spare a thought for the pommie house wife bawling her eyes out in Perth because she is missing family and friends and is finding it harder than she thought to adapt.
For those in Australia and who are deliriously happy despite the heat and the flies try to remember how hard it was to get there and spare a thought for those still trying - try to be more patient with us.
For those in Australia who aren`t happy there - please don`t be too hard on those who have rosetinted specs (I`m sure you wore them too at one point).
For those still in the UK -think before slagging people off in Oz when they say they are unhappy with the lifestyle after all it seems ok to moan about life here but not about the day to day drudgery of life on the other side.
What got me thinking about all this was a girl I worked with died recently from breast cancer at the age of 35 leaving a 5 yr old daughter - her sister refused on my colleagues death bed to look after her neice and suggested she be put up for adoption - so don`t sweat the small stuff and try to have some compassion for others.

thats so sad........I could not imagine a sister could do that......what goes around comes around
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:39 pm
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by psb182
thats so sad........I could not imagine a sister could do that......what goes around comes around
The little girl is being looked after by family - but I know if it was my sister...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:43 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I learned a hard lesson about what matters when I nearly lost my mum.

I have had people say to me 'Oh you have had some bad luck' when they hear of certain things that have happened to me over the past year.

I consider myself to be very very lucky indeed. We were told mum was going to die, the family were called in to say goodbye.

A week later I was enjoying a glass of wine with my mum who stuck two fingers up to death and decided to stay so to speak.

Whilst migrating to Australia is important, whilst I have started to have dreams of Glen Newton and George Lombard, I know exactly what matters in my life.

I am not blinkered and in some ways I am one track minded with Australia.

But in my mind, there should be always room to deviate to what counts.

Friends and family.

Good thread Gobbyjock and Glenny babes, I look forward to tonights dream.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:53 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

The little girl is being looked after by family - but I know if it was my sister...
This is so sad, Gobbyjock. Obviously I don't know all the facts, but on the face of it, it does seem dreadful for her sister to reject her daughter. But turning the compassion thing on its head, I wonder if by rejecting her niece, her sister feels able to reject her own bereavement - after all, it can't be easy losing your 35-year-old sister to a disease like cancer, and maybe she feels that by denying the little girl, she can pretend it hasn't happened and she doesn't have to deal with her own grief? Maybe, maybe not. But she must be in shock, and that might have affected the way she is looking at things. Hopefully she will change her mind and take the little girl into her family when she is dealing with it a bit better?

Just a slightly different viewpoint.

Very good thread and very valid, btw.

Sue
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:34 am
Just Joined

wmh76 will become famous soon enough

That is a really sad story! I hope the little girl is doing well and being well looked after by the other members of the family
x

P.S. we are hoping to move to Aus, but we have a drawback, our eldest sons health, has heart condition! But I can honestly say that I will be happy if we can go (for a new life), happy if we have to stay in UK (with friends, family). I don't begrudge anyone that has already gone and don't pity anyone else who has to stay!!

Just look on the bright side of things, keep smiling whatever your situation, things are never as bad as they may first seem!!

Last edited by wmh76; Oct 20th 2005 at 9:38 am.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:40 am
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by wmh76
That is a really sad story! I hope the little girl is doing well and being well looked after by the other members of the family
x

P.S. we are hoping to move to Aus, but we have a drawback, our eldest sons health, has heart condition! But I can honestly say that I will be happy if we can go (for a new life), happy if we have to stay in UK (with friends, family). I don't begrudge anyone that has already gone and don't pity anyone else who has to stay!!

Just look on the bright side of things, keep smiling whatever your situation, things are never as bad as they may first seem!!
Well said!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:45 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on a good post. Compassion is a very important thing.

But that poor little girl, that's breaking my heart - I'll look after her, my little boy would love a sister. I can't get my head round that at all Can't imagine your poor colleague asking her sister to do something which is so very very important and have it refused, on her death bed. God that is so sad, she must've been distraught worrying about her little girl going to strangers. That's really really upset me.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:50 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey GJ....what a FABULOUS post m8!

You are right, if we all take a step back every now and again we really wouldn't sweat the small stuff would we.....

I'd only moved here 3 months last year when someone I know died in UK aged 35. He played footy every Sunday with the lads and dropped dead one Sunday morning on the field. His two small girls and his wife were watching.

I've also kept in regular contact with someone I used to work with in UK. She had to have one breast off last year. She's a lovely, lovely person, a regular 40 years old mum with a 5 year old little girl who's just started school.

I got an Email from her last week.

She's just found out she's pregnant....and has been told the baby must be aborted as she needs to have her other breast off. The cancer treatment is likely to deform the baby and / or kill her if she doesnt get the right treatment NOW.

So...it's times like this when I think...yep...there but for the grace of God go I

Fantastic post GJ.

Really meaningful, has made me think of these special people and it's certainly food for thought..

PS. As for you friends sister not adopting the child. I don't know her reasons, but I hope she is able to live with herself. I would starve first

Last edited by phoenixinoz; Oct 20th 2005 at 9:54 am.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:04 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Good post !

Certainly puts things into perspective.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

What a great post gobbyjock. I for one can identify myself in one of those catagories. That poor, poor child though.

BTW.......our mutal friend Gail has just sent me ANOTHER holiday post card. This time she and her beloved have been gallivanting around Rome!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic post! I think it's human nature to get wrapped up in your own life, but it's always important torealise that there's always someone worse off and to count your blessings. (How many cliches can I get in here ) That poor child. My youngest is 5 and I couldn't bear the thought of her going through that.

I'm stressing about getting the house ready for sale and I now feel ashamed of myself because that's all I've got to worry about - it's hardly life or death!
I'm now going to spead some stress busting time with my kids, appreciating how fortunate I truly am.

PhoenixinOz: what a dreadful situation for your friend to be in . I hope things look up for her soon.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:41 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably the most sensible post I have read in all my time on B.E. Let's put things into perspective and look on the bright side.

Good thread Goobyjock

Karma on it's way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.