Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comparison of energy bills UK - AU

Comparison of energy bills UK - AU

Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Comparison of energy bills UK - AU

Hi All,

I just received my first gas bill from AGL (it's suppose it was every 3 months) Apart of the huge installation costs and other expenses (of course) I was charged AU$ 22 from 20/10/11 to 07/11/2011 for an average of around $1.2 (ish) per day in gas for just one person in that period. - $1.2 x is around 37.2 per person monthly. Making it two at $2 will be $62ish monthly (it's not that crazy?)

In my block the hot water is communal and I have a different hot water meter connected to the gas bill (or something like that).

I don't remember making a big hole in my pocket with my energy bills in the UK specially with the gas so I'm wondering is somebody can give me a rough comparison with the cost of services between UK and Australia, or if perhaps I am being paranoiac because of the crazy prices over here.

Cheers

JM

Last edited by MAR001; Nov 11th 2011 at 9:39 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:29 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Comparison of energy bills UK - AU

I don't remember making a big hole in my pocket with my energy bills in the UK specially with the gas so I'm wondering is somebody can give me a rough comparison with the cost of services between UK and Australia, or if perhaps I am being paranoiac because of the crazy prices over here.

Cheers

JM[/QUOTE]

WHY???

are you going to buy you gas or leccy in the UK and then have it shipped over as a personal import.
you'll need to start a new thread on importing gas n leccy as i have searched and no one has asked that before
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I use gas for heating and cooking, whether there are one or two people in the house doesn't really make a difference. What is wrong with $22 a month anyway?

Absolutely no idea what you mean by the below.

Originally Posted by MAR001
I was charged with AU$ 22 from 20/10/11 to 17/11/2011 for an average of around $1.2 (ish) per day in gas for just one person in that period. - $1.2 x is around 37.2 per person - making it two at $2 will be $62ish monthly (it's not that crazy?)

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 11th 2011 at 8:45 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately nowadays when in Rome u have pay the Roman rates mate otherwise join the move back forum.Yes aus is expensive by a big margin

Last edited by bobbyftm; Nov 11th 2011 at 8:56 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:04 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I got my quarterly hot water gas bill today - $37 for one person for 93 days. My gas bill for cooking was $65 for the same period. I think it's pretty bloody cheap! I use hot water mostly for the shower and washing up and gas hob everyday. Can't see it being much cheaper anywhere really.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tking
I got my quarterly hot water gas bill today - $37 for one person for 93 days. My gas bill for cooking was $65 for the same period. I think it's pretty bloody cheap! I use hot water mostly for the shower and washing up and gas hob everyday. Can't see it being much cheaper anywhere really.
Well according to my calculations I'm paying 3 times more than you in my hot water bill...
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

just so I can break it down in my head... you're complaining about $1.20 a day for clean hot water and sweet flowing supply of gas?

shit a can of coke is $3, a hamburger is $8 and its $6 to run through a road tunnel... i think there is much more to complain about than your gas???
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I really am at a loss to understand why you think $22 a month is a lot.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:35 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: I'll pay your bill, you can pay mine!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

my gas bill was $458 for 90 days - now that's a bill to complain about!!

( I do have two gas fires, gas water heater and a gas cooker though...plus a DIL that is home ALL the time and thinks it's OK to dry your two pairs of knickers in from of the gas fire on a warm day! )
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I just received my first gas bill from AGL (it's suppose it was every 3 months) Apart of the huge installation costs and other expenses (of course) I was charged AU$ 22 from 20/10/11 to 17/11/2011 for an average of around $1.2 (ish) per day in gas for just one person in that period. - $1.2 x is around 37.2 per person monthly. Making it two at $2 will be $62ish monthly (it's not that crazy?)

JM
Unless I am being completely blonde your first mistake is the $1.2 as the 20/10 to 17/11 is 28 days so 22/28 is approx 0.79 a day. I dont get gas so cant help you, but does it include a standing charge or similar which is paid whether there is 1 person or 15, then a usage fee like electric.

Jo
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Yes I did a mistake with the dates (the correct one is from 17/10/11 to 07/11/11)... I'm meant that for the two of us it will be $60 per month just in hot water bill.. (around 180 quarterly) and yes, call me cheap but I think this is quite expensive comparing with what I used to paid in the UK...

Last edited by MAR001; Nov 11th 2011 at 9:52 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:44 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Yes I did a mistake with the dates (the correct one is from 17/10/11 to 07/11/11)... I'm meant that for the two of us it will be $60 per month just in hot water bill.. (around 180 quarterly) and yes, call me cheap but I think this is quite expensive comparing with what I used to paid in the UK...
But you're not in the UK anymore and you can't pay for your gas in pounds!!!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
But you're not in the UK anymore and you can't pay for your gas in pounds!!!
point taken...
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:53 am
Use time wisely

point taken...
by the way, I agree with you it is more expensive than the UK but we ain't there anymore

when you think about the density of population here to the uk the cost of infrastructure is the same but shared by less people. hence the higher cost per user.
these are the things you pay for, for the luxury of space

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.