Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comparing banks/savings

Comparing banks/savings

Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Comparing banks/savings

I'm comparing bank accounts, transaction and savings, prior to moving (probably NSW, possibly Qld.) in the next few months.

Does anyone have experience of this bank? They seem to be offering the best rate for 12 months. 6.8% Bank West TeleNet Saver
I don't know if it can be opened from overseas.

http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...roduct2504.asp

They have a lite transaction account with only $2.50 pm charges, but you can't use branches. Does that mean no cheques?

I need to do more research but if anyone knows anything about these accounts I would appreciate hearing.

Many thanks, Q
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Comparing banks/savings

Originally Posted by quercus
I'm comparing bank accounts, transaction and savings, prior to moving (probably NSW, possibly Qld.) in the next few months.

Does anyone have experience of this bank? They seem to be offering the best rate for 12 months. 6.8% Bank West TeleNet Saver
I don't know if it can be opened from overseas.

http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...roduct2504.asp

They have a lite transaction account with only $2.50 pm charges, but you can't use branches. Does that mean no cheques?

I need to do more research but if anyone knows anything about these accounts I would appreciate hearing.

Many thanks, Q
No problems with BankWest. If it helps, they are part of the Halifax Bank of Scotland group so they are perfectly reputable. The Telenet Saver is a great product too. I should know...I was part of the team that developed the online application process!!

Oh, and forget about cheques, they are hardly used in Aus.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Hi Q,
We opened a Bankwest Telenet account 4 months ago.6.8% for the first 12 months reverting back to 6.25% after.Think you will find you have to reside in Oz before you can open one, as they ask for proof of residence here.
We opened Westpac accounts from the U.K. A Maxi i Direct linked to a Westpac One. $5 a month and no problems at all so far.Internet access etc.
Infochoice is a good site to investigate accounts/rates etc.
Good luck with the move.
Ian
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cyclemark
No problems with BankWest. If it helps, they are part of the Halifax Bank of Scotland group so they are perfectly reputable. The Telenet Saver is a great product too. I should know...I was part of the team that developed the online application process!!

Oh, and forget about cheques, they are hardly used in Aus.
Thanks Cyclemark, sounds like a good one then. I don't use cheques myself much now.
Do you still have influence? I could do with a nice large loan!

Regards, Q

Last edited by quercus; Jun 30th 2007 at 3:44 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bradfordlad
Hi Q,
We opened a Bankwest Telenet account 4 months ago.6.8% for the first 12 months reverting back to 6.25% after.Think you will find you have to reside in Oz before you can open one, as they ask for proof of residence here.
We opened Westpac accounts from the U.K. A Maxi i Direct linked to a Westpac One. $5 a month and no problems at all so far.Internet access etc.
Infochoice is a good site to investigate accounts/rates etc.
Good luck with the move.
Ian
Hi Ian,

It sounds like I'll have to wait to open a Bankwest account then. I was comparing transaction accounts and Westpack looks good. I always like to have recommendations. I've e-mailed them already.

I noticed the Bananacoast Credit Union, which appealed because of the name! Also, I like going with the small guys. As I'm looking at that part of the coast I'll have to find out more. I don't expect to be able to open one of those until I'm resident though.

Thanks for the advice, and good luck wishes. I need plenty of both!

Regards, Q
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by quercus
Thanks Cyclemark, sounds like a good one then. I don't use cheques myself much now.
Do you still have influence? I could do with a nice large loan!

Regards, Q
Not there anymore. Was lured to Switzerland by the promise of lots of Swiss Francs. But what a mistake.....can't wait to get back to Aus!