Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compare Sydney and New York

Compare Sydney and New York

Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

fortnum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compare Sydney and New York

Has anyone lived in both cities before? Would you give up New York to move to Sydney? I'm asking because I'm torn between giving up my Australian PR or my US work visa. I haven't lived in Sydney, so I don't know its pros and cons, but my brother migrated there a few years ago; so I'll be closer to family if I move to Sydney. And New York and Sydney are so far apart.. and Sydney being kinda remote from other big cities.

I love city life, theater, art galleries/museum, traveling, shopping, amazon online, and being close to everything. I find Sydney lacking in all these. Am I wrong? I'm interested to know what kept you living in Sydney, and any regrets? Thanks.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compare Sydney and New York

Originally Posted by fortnum
Has anyone lived in both cities before? Would you give up New York to move to Sydney? I'm asking because I'm torn between giving up my Australian PR or my US work visa. I haven't lived in Sydney, so I don't know its pros and cons, but my brother migrated there a few years ago; so I'll be closer to family if I move to Sydney. And New York and Sydney are so far apart.. and Sydney being kinda remote from other big cities.

I love city life, theater, art galleries/museum, traveling, shopping, amazon online, and being close to everything. I find Sydney lacking in all these. Am I wrong? I'm interested to know what kept you living in Sydney, and any regrets? Thanks.
While I haven't lived in either, but given the choice I would choose NYC. Not that Sydney's not great, but New York for me has everything I would want/need.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

NY wins hands down on all of the above. On the other hand, Sydney's weather is better (if you like it hot) and it is friendlier and laid back compared to the big apple.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:39 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

If you like all that stuff then don't move to Sydney. I have never lived in NYC, but I find that Sydney is actually a very quiet place to live in terms of world cities.

Yes, it does have easy access to beaches, and the weather is good, but trying to get a decent meal after 9pm, or on a Monday evening is very difficult, and frankly this interests me more than beaches.

You need to try hard to keep interested in Sydney life, else it just becomes a dull large town IMHO. I know that others may think differently, but it in my opinion, it has nowhere near the dynamism of the other world cities - London, Paris, Berlin etc.

S
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:54 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to live in NY. Honestly, Sydney is pleasant - clean and pretty- but not an exciting place.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:17 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in both cities, I think you will find NYC more suited to your preferences.

On the other hand I don't regret living in Sydney. It's a fresh departure from the hectic dog-eat-dog workaholic culture in the crowded cities I lived in the past.

Last edited by commonwealth; Mar 14th 2012 at 2:26 am.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Live in Sydney now and have spent time in NYC in the past, regularly visitnig the NY office (about one week a month for long time). I would have loved to have spent a few years living there full time, it is probably my second favourite city (after London).

I don't find NYC and SYD comparable, NYC being far more dynamic, exciting and definitely offering more of the activities that you mention interest you. Sydney is a nice city, atttractive when the sky is blue and I like being close to both city and sea / beach.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:23 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

But why are you "giving up" your Aus PR? Is it expiring? Can't get a return visa? What if something happens to your (temporary) US work visa status? What's your fallback?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Hey I may be the perfect person to answer this question as I grew up in New York and Sydney and have also lived in both places as an adult.

As the others have said, NYC hands down for all those things you mentioned. I wouldn't say Sydney is dull but compared to New York it is provincial. On the other hand, pretty much everywhere is provincial compared to New York.

Sydney used to be significantly cheaper than New York and there was the appeal of living in a house with a garden or living near a beach. But nowadays Sydney is also hideously expensive so that positive is gone.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay in NY, it's a no brainer.

But if you do come, Melbourne would be more like NY than Sydney.

Oh, and if you don't like NY then you have a US visa so can try the myriad of other cities in the US.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:30 pm
Daffyd Duck

I'm actually indifferent between NYC and Sydney. NYC is close to the sea and the breeze sweeps the pollution away. It's also close to many island where you can swim during warmer months. Also NYC is much safer these days you can walk at central park after dark.

If theres one thing I dont like about NYC is the taxation. You pay federal and state taxes and sales tax on your purchases. And you have to tip everyone!

Last edited by commonwealth; Mar 14th 2012 at 10:37 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously NYC has a much wider scope, but when it comes to 'the arts' Sydney isn't bad at all. There's more than enough choice for the casual culture seeker whether you want top level (big name actors at the opera house, picasso at the art museum, etc) or street level (belvoir theatre, numerous pop-up exhibitions all over surry hills/glebe, etc). And the various festivals are excellent.

Also a couple of actor friends of mine say Sydney is a lot more collaborative and inclusive, local people just doing what they love, rather than everyone trying to get on top of the pack.

So it doesnt hold a candle to NYC or London but its far from barren.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

fortnum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Stay in NY, it's a no brainer.
I hear you, I feel the same. My brain hurts each time I think about this subject.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
But why are you "giving up" your Aus PR? Is it expiring? Can't get a return visa? What if something happens to your (temporary) US work visa status? What's your fallback?
I received my PR 4 years ago, but have been delaying my move to Sydney. So I have another year to decide before my PR expires. It would be difficult to apply for a return visa, let alone qualify. In total, I've only been in Australia for less than 2 weeks in my whole life, and I'm in my early 30s. Would I be blacklisted for giving up my Aus PR, making it harder for my to reapply if I decide to give up my current Aus PR? My US work visa is tied to my employer.. so when the next recession hits, i'll be left packing for home. So it's all about taking chances with my US work visa, or be content with Sydney and work freely in Australia.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
It's a fresh departure from the hectic dog-eat-dog workaholic culture in the crowded cities I lived in the past.
Yes, work hours are long with few vacation days. In some ways, I feel there are more opportunities in this driven work culture, and that it'll be quicker/easier for me to find a job in NY than in Sydney.

In a perfect world, I want to stay in NY until past retirement, then move to Sydney to be closer to family. If I give my up Aus PR now, then I'm not sure what I need to do to achieve the latter. Oh boy...
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I received my PR 4 years ago, but have been delaying my move to Sydney. So I have another year to decide before my PR expires. It would be difficult to apply for a return visa, let alone qualify. In total, I've only been in Australia for less than 2 weeks in my whole life, and I'm in my early 30s. Would I be blacklisted for giving up my Aus PR, making it harder for my to reapply if I decide to give up my current Aus PR? My US work visa is tied to my employer.. so when the next recession hits, i'll be left packing for home. So it's all about taking chances with my US work visa, or be content with Sydney and work freely in Australia.

In a perfect world, I want to stay in NY until past retirement, then move to Sydney to be closer to family. If I give my up Aus PR now, then I'm not sure what I need to do to achieve the latter. Oh boy...
You're not living in a perfect world, you're living in the real world with real choices and real consequences. If you haven't got a US green card then consider the realistic chance of remaining in the USA more than a few years.

Following that consideration, reflect on whether you would prefer to settle in Australia or your home country. After that, your decision should be clear. If you want to keep your PR in Australia - you've got to move to Australia and don't leave it until the last minute.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:50 am
Daffyd Duck

The problem in NY is - I know there are lots of attractions, museums, theatres, shopping malls. But will I be shopping every day? Will I be looking at the paintings and sculptures in the museums every day? Will I be spending time in the Hard Rock cafe every day? Will I be watching Les Miserables or RENT or Phantom of the Opera every day?

Given the usually hectic and competitive career in NY, I don't think there's enough time to do that! And after a while you get used to it, and it becomes less exciting and the uncomfortable nuisances will start to bother you.

I wouldn't mind NYC for a few years, but I can't imagine living there in the long run. If you're only after the work experience in NYC, you can get the same thing in London, or if you look for it, possibly in Sydney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.