Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compare standard of living in the UK with Australia

Originally Posted by sr71
Kind of agree now, some people will find it suits them - probably been here longer term when they had good exchange rates and could afford nice property before the boom.

Whole place is backwards, parochial, the Aussies are not very dynamic people and more and more it's becoming an isolated part of the world that really doesn't matter.

Great place to retire would be my opinion, but even then I'm not sure there is enough to do.
I broadly agree with what you are saying, when you leave you realise just how parochial and insular the country is generally. We know quite a number of people who genuinely think that there are lots of things you can only do in Australia, I put it down to the media mostly who like to portray the country as somehow unique in the world. FOR US there just wasnt enough to keep us interested, for others of course going down the beach or having a BBQ will suffice and that is absolutely fine.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
I broadly agree with what you are saying, when you leave you realise just how parochial and insular the country is generally. We know quite a number of people who genuinely think that there are lots of things you can only do in Australia, I put it down to the media mostly who like to portray the country as somehow unique in the world. FOR US there just wasnt enough to keep us interested, for others of course going down the beach or having a BBQ will suffice and that is absolutely fine.
yep it all depends what floats your boat in life, for me it's nature so I'm in heaven
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
yep it all depends what floats your boat in life, for me it's nature so I'm in heaven
Its also nature for me, I love seeing animals in the wild but also love captive breeding of reptiles so I have had the best of both worlds over the years.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It's home for me now and I love it, but I felt the same (well not quite as much) 3 or 4 years ago. get over it or go back was my mindset and we stayed. As me old man says ya can only piss with the cock ya got. Probably best not to make out that everyone who stays is a mug though, it's only your opinion of the place
No, people get happiness from different things, wouldn't say people are mugs if they like it. But I do get a bit sick of the rubbish about Australia being the only place you can have the best lifestyle in the world, which is believed by so many Aussies.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:08 am
Account Closed

No, people get happiness from different things, wouldn't say people are mugs if they like it. But I do get a bit sick of the rubbish about Australia being the only place you can have the best lifestyle in the world, which is believed by so many Aussies.
We did our best to open our minds and not listen to that claptrap, which is I think why it's worked for us. I think it's called the Dick Whittington syndrome.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:06 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.
I love the nature here: fantastic walks, birds, beaches , wildlife.

I loved nature in the UK too but I'm experiencing a lot more of it here due to the sunny weather
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Agreed.

I loved nature in the UK too but I'm experiencing a lot more of it here due to the sunny weather
Me too! ...and great photo opportunities most of the time.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

I'm not so sure. I took out a roo coming out of Perisher a few weekends back. I guess I wouldn't have had the opportunity doing that out of Chamonix.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:11 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm not so sure. I took out a roo coming out of Perisher a few weekends back. I guess I wouldn't have had the opportunity doing that out of Chamonix.
How much closer to nature could you get?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Surely that show the limitations of the circles you moved in? Most of the people I know don't even consume the mass media. You give yourself away the more you put your case, my friend.

For the others you imply that beaches or a BBQ will suffice when there are others who don't need to prop up their lives with that. It's as simple as that. Not all UK people need to prop up their lives with what is on television, its the same in Australia.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Surely that show the limitations of the circles you moved in? Most of the people I know don't even consume the mass media. You give yourself away the more you put your case, my friend.

For the others you imply that beaches or a BBQ will suffice when there are others who don't need to prop up their lives with that. It's as simple as that. Not all UK people need to prop up their lives with what is on television, its the same in Australia.
I made no mention of the circles we moved in or indeed our friends at all and I have no interest in 'putting my case' to be quite honest.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Great place to retire would be my opinion, but even then I'm not sure there is enough to do.
That is why I will be going back to the UK when I retire
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

...... must be a Brisbane thing.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How much closer to nature could you get?
Too close ..... substantial vehicle damage too. Roo's don't carry insurance. I guess its the novelty factor that kept me smiling.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
Too close ..... substantial vehicle damage too. Roo's don't carry insurance. I guess its the novelty factor that kept me smiling.
i did 3 in a morning once, stooopid fings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.