Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comparative Statistics about Australia

Comparative Statistics about Australia

Old Dec 24th 2003, 12:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Comparative Statistics about Australia

http://web.hhs.se/personal/suzuki/o-...Australia.html

Someone just posted the above site in the Lounge and thought you all would love to read such exciting stuff over the festive period.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 12:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I shall memorise the best bits and use for entertainment over Christmas dinner.........

Pollyana, the Sad Git!
Old Dec 24th 2003, 9:26 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Comparative Statistics about Australia

the main think that jumps out at you looking at these stats is the crime rates in oz.

oz appears to be ranked the worst in the world for rapes, burglaries and car theft. it is also pretty high for all thefts, assaults and robberies.

what is going on in oz, time and time again this issue comes up with uk government statistics recently reporting you have a one in three chance of being effected by crime in oz. where do all the taxes go in oz, its one of the mostly highly taxed countries in the world. certainly not on policemen it seems.

Originally posted by bondipom

Someone just posted the above site in the Lounge and thought you all would love to read such exciting stuff over the festive period.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dugongs
the main think that jumps out at you looking at these stats is the crime rates in oz.

oz appears to be ranked the worst in the world for rapes, burglaries and car theft. it is also pretty high for all thefts, assaults and robberies.

what is going on in oz, time and time again this issue comes up with uk government statistics recently reporting you have a one in three chance of being effected by crime in oz. where do all the taxes go in oz, its one of the mostly highly taxed countries in the world. certainly not on policemen it seems.
Unless of course the Aussies record crimes and investigate them more thoroughly than their British counterparts
Old Dec 24th 2003, 10:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Population density (per km sq) [2002]
The Netherlands (2): 386.9
Australia (30, last): 2.5

lol

But of course, In Australia it isn't really distributed evenly is it!!
Old Dec 24th 2003, 10:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by CHnJ
Unless of course the Aussies record crimes and investigate them more thoroughly than their British counterparts
I am trying to think of the best responce to this comment, but do not wish to offend anyone.

I do recall when I got back to the UK after my first OZ period, I realised how absolutely fantastic the British Bobby is.

I had 3 break ins at businesses in Sydney area, and police were not interested, took them 1-2 hours to get there, at the first one the crims were on the scene.

I had one break in at a business in UK, police arrived within minutes, and stayed on scene until keyholder arrived.

The one area that the OZ police are very good and quick of the mark is in catching you for motoring offences.

Looking at those burglary figures I calculated that OZ had 444,748 burglaries compared to the UK figure of 128,104. The UK figure does look a bit small to me though.
I calculated that at 2,275.30 per 100,000 OZ population, compared to the UK figure of 214.3.

I have seen theft reports in the local paper, examples:
Bicycle stolen from house....
Theft of 3 metre Cardboard Santa Cutout from garden...
Theft of 2 solar lights from garden.....
Theft of 3 solar lights from property.....
Boat taken from outside house.....

The question is would half of these even get reported in the UK ??
If not the statistics may be slightly out ?

Old Dec 24th 2003, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom

Looks lhere are more attempted murders in Aus, but less succeed. I therefore deduce that the Brits are made of stronger stuff both in terms of being able to see something through to the finish and in terms of strength to pull through when things arent going your way (ie you've been knifed!)

You can read anything into stats! Interesting though
Old Dec 24th 2003, 10:47 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i would say just from experience the stat gathering is better in uk.

one example is the uk figures have a stat for drug related crime whereas oz do not disclose this figure. i think there is a clue in the new zealand figures (no 2 in the world) as to why oz dare not disclose this figure i.e. it would probably rank no 1 and is bad for business.

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I am trying to think of the best responce to this comment, but do not wish to offend anyone.

I do recall when I got back to the UK after my first OZ period, I realised how absolutely fantastic the British Bobby is.

I had 3 break ins at businesses in Sydney area, and police were not interested, took them 1-2 hours to get there, at the first one the crims were on the scene.

I had one break in at a business in UK, police arrived within minutes, and stayed on scene until keyholder arrived.

The one area that the OZ police are very good and quick of the mark is in catching you for motoring offences.

Looking at those burglary figures I calculated that OZ had 444,748 burglaries compared to the UK figure of 128,104. The UK figure does look a bit small to me though.
I calculated that at 2,275.30 per 100,000 OZ population, compared to the UK figure of 214.3.

I have seen theft reports in the local paper, examples:
Bicycle stolen from house....
Theft of 3 metre Cardboard Santa Cutout from garden...
Theft of 2 solar lights from garden.....
Theft of 3 solar lights from property.....
Boat taken from outside house.....

The question is would half of these even get reported in the UK ??
If not the statistics may be slightly out ?
Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dugongs
i would say just from experience the stat gathering is better in uk.

one example is the uk figures have a stat for drug related crime whereas oz do not disclose this figure. i think there is a clue in the new zealand figures (no 2 in the world) as to why oz dare not disclose this figure i.e. it would probably rank no 1 and is bad for business.
I didnt notice that before, and when I looked at the drugs figures, i realised I had misread something and therefore misquoted my above burglary figures.
UK Burglary was 1579 per 100,000
OZ burglary was 2275 per 100,000
A lot closer than I first read it as. But then I did say The UK figure does look a bit small
I just didnt realise it was my mistake