Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Company sponsorship

Company sponsorship

Old Apr 13th 2002, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Company sponsorship

Any truth in the rumour I heard today, that if your company sponsors you for PR, you DON'T have to stay with them for a minimum of 2 years if it's not in your contract ? or do you defo. have to stay with them whether it's in your contract or not ? Anyone know ? I have a faint chance of being sponsored by the company I work for, but I don't want to be tied to them for 2 years, this is the reason I am applying independently.
Old Apr 14th 2002, 3:00 am
Jaj

Default Re: Company sponsorship

On 13 Apr 2002 15:30:02 GMT, onlyme <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any truth in the rumour I heard today, that if your company sponsors you for PR, you
    >DON'T have to stay with them for a minimum of 2 years if it's not in your contract ?

That's true for the mainstream Employer Nominated visa. If your visa is issued under
the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme, however, it is subject to cancellation in the
first 2 years if you don't take up or remain in the relevant employment.

>or do you defo. have to stay with them whether it's in your contract or not ?

See above. Any company with sense would put some sort of clawback arrangement into
the contract to at least recover its costs if you left within a certain period after
visa. But unless it's an RSMS visa, the matter is between you and the employer, and
not a concern of the Department of Immigration.

Jeremy

Old Apr 15th 2002, 8:30 am
Pread

My sponsoring company (not my current company) have told me that I am not tied to
them at all, but if I leave them I have 28 days to find another sponsor, or leave the
country. But check your contract - there could be something in there. If you are
going with your current employer, they sometimes contract you to a minimum of 2 years
- if you want to leave before then, you would probably have to pay back the moving
benefit they gave you, pro-rata at 1/24th per month. So if your benefit was worth 24
grand, and you left them after 18 months, you would owe them 6 grand. That's how my
company do things.

Cheers, Paul.

Old Apr 15th 2002, 12:00 pm
Jaj

>On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:13:24 GMT, "pread" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My sponsoring company (not my current company) have told me that I am not tied to
    >them at all, but if I leave them I have 28 days to find another sponsor, or leave
    >the country.

If you have to leave the country if you leave your employer, then effectively you
*are* tied to them.

That only applies however if you're on a temporary visa, such as a subclass 457. If
you're on an employer nominated PR visa, once you have it, you keep it even if you
leave. Subject to the cancellation provisions on the RSMS visas.

Jeremy

Old Apr 15th 2002, 12:30 pm
Pread

Jeremy,

I did say that "if I leave them I have 28 days to find another sponsor, or leave the
country." So if I have another company willing to sponsor me, I am not tied to the
original company.

Cheers, Paul.

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:13:24 GMT, "pread" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >My sponsoring company (not my current company) have told me that I am not tied to
    > >them at all, but if I leave them I have 28 days to find another sponsor, or leave
    > >the country.
    >
    > If you have to leave the country if you leave your employer, then effectively you
    > *are* tied to them.
    >
    > That only applies however if you're on a temporary visa, such as a subclass 457. If
    > you're on an employer nominated PR visa, once you have it, you keep it even if you
    > leave. Subject to the cancellation provisions on the RSMS visas.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >

Old Apr 16th 2002, 9:00 am
Pread

Vicki,

You're absolutely right, I missed the PR sponsorship bit.

Cheers, Paul.

"Vicki Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:14d5e6071b8a8fada4078d2028f97c2...e.mailgate.org...
    > Hi Paul
    >
    > I think you are confusing employer nomination (permanant) visa, with a sub class
    > 457 (temporary) visa - they are very different.
    >
    > thanks vicki
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
Vicki Stone

Hi Paul

I think you are confusing employer nomination (permanant) visa, with a sub class 457
(temporary) visa - they are very different.

thanks vicki

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG